1.    #1  
    I KNOW, I KNOW...This goes in the accessories forum, but I'm just trying to get the most eyes for the most opinions!

I'm about to buy one pair of headphones and one pair of earbuds.

If you have used any of these, preferably more so that you could compare them to others on my list so I can better deduce which ones I'll finalize with. I'd easily be able to pick them out on my own, but the only real electronics store around here is Circuit City so I can't test them out myself unless I feel like taking a drive. I might end up buying 2 or 3 headphones so long as Amazon will let me return them...I'll have to look into that.

ANYWAY...WUDDA YA GUYS THINK??

Here's the list:

Headphones
    ------------

Koss PortaPro
    Grado SR60
    Grado SR80
    Sennheiser HD-202
    Sennheiser HD-212
    Sennheiser HD-280
    Sennheiser HD-497
    Sony MDR-NC6
    Sony MDR-V600
    Sony MDR-V6
    Sony Pro MDR-7506

Earbuds
    --------

Seinnheiser MX-400
    Seinnheiser MX-500
    Shure E2c
    Sony MDR-EX51LP
    Sony MDR-EX71SL
    Sony MDR-EX81LP
    For earbuds - I'm a big fan of the Etymotics. Great sounds plus noise blocking.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I KNOW, I KNOW...This goes in the accessories forum, but I'm just trying to get the most eyes for the most opinions!
    You've got a misconception that threads will get more coverage in the 650 forum. While that may be the most popular one, most people coming here seem to use the View New Posts feature which makes them see everything posted since their last visit.

Plus, whenever you post in the wrong forum, we're forced to move it. Why not work with us and post 'em in the proper place to begin with? It's not like you don't know any better...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    I might end up buying 2 or 3 headphones so long as Amazon will let me return them...I'll have to look into that.
    Just what we need. More Refurbs on the market. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif
    Anyways thats just my opinion.

Sony 7506's
    Sure E2C's

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

I've got the Grado SR-60 and Shure e3c's. They're both fantastic, but they serve different purposes. The shure's I use when I need isolation (working out at the gym, airplanes, etc.) I use the grados when I want to be able to enjoy my music but not be cut off from the world. You should look at head-fi.org for really extensive reviews. Beware, though, you're likely to want to spend more and more on cans the more you read....
    Go with Etymotics or Shure E3c.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    You've got a misconception that threads will get more coverage in the 650 forum. While that may be the most popular one, most people coming here seem to use the View New Posts feature which makes them see everything posted since their last visit.
    Hmm...it took me a long time to find the New Post function, and I still forget to use it. It's just that when I look at all forums available, there're typically 100+ users in the 650 section and like 15 in accessories (EDIT: I guess that makes sense now that I think about it; more posts means more reading, blah blah). It took me A LONG time to realize there were forums outside of the 650 section, and most newbs do too...that's why we get numerous irrelevant posts in the hardware section.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    Plus, whenever you post in the wrong forum, we're forced to move it. Why not work with us and post 'em in the proper place to begin with? It's not like you don't know any better...
    But at least more people SEEM like they see it to me with those numbers in the main forum listing. If I didn't post in the incorrect forum, what would you do with your life, Mark??

Anyway...I'll try to be more considerate in the future! Sorry.
    One word shure E4c.
    Cnet . Top 10 best buy of the year.
    I love shure E4c.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Just what we need. More Refurbs on the market. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif
    Anyways thats just my opinion.
    Alright, alright....I'll just buy one pair of headphones and one earbuds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Sony 7506's
    Sure E2C's
    I like your taste. Those were the ones I was leaning toward after reading the reviews on Amazon. Your screenname also makes me think you know what you're talking about.

Why the E2C's over the Etymotics? Is it only because I didn't list the Etymotics?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    I've got the Grado SR-60 and Shure e3c's. They're both fantastic, but they serve different purposes. The shure's I use when I need isolation (working out at the gym, airplanes, etc.) I use the grados when I want to be able to enjoy my music but not be cut off from the world. You should look at head-fi.org for really extensive reviews. Beware, though, you're likely to want to spend more and more on cans the more you read....
    Did you compare the SR-60 against any other headphones??

Thanks for the site recommendation...I'll definitely check that out before I make my purchase. I completely understand about wanting to spend more after reading them....I was only planning on spending $40~60 before reading the reviews on Amazon, but those 7506s tend to get good reviews because they're extremely durable. I'm prolly lookin' more for durability in an expensive pair of headphones than anything else.
    Never tried the Ety's. and Pro level Shure products tend to last for years if cared for.
    Yes I am in the business so to speak, but that doesn't really give me an edge over anyone here.

It's subjective, what works for your budget, and your ears. They are the ultimate judge.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    One word shure E4c.
    Cnet . Top 10 best buy of the year.
    I love shure E4c.
    That's two words. But yea....anything more expensive than the E2c's are WAYYYY outta my price range. I can't afford to pay over $70 on some tiny earbuds.

Have you Shure E[3,4,5]c guys really compared them to the E2c's?? Is the quality THAT much difference??

Have you Etymotic guys really compared the ER6s to the E2c's?? Are the higher priced Etymotics really THAT much different from the ER6s?
    That's two words. But yea....anything more expensive than the E2c's are WAYYYY outta my price range. I can't afford to pay over $70 on some tiny earbuds.

Have you Shure E[3,4,5]c guys really compared them to the E2c's?? Is the quality THAT much difference??

Shure E4c are definitely much better than E2c and E3c.
    Please check Headfi.org for detailed reviews and comments about all these.
    Also you can get E4c for 210 bucks or so from that site.
    Again they are not tiny ear buds, noise isolating highend earbuds or IEM's.
    Your Treo will sound twice as much better as it does now.
    Sony MDR-EX81LP are superb earbuds. I got mine in white from www.7dayshop.com (UK only).
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    I bought a pair of Grado SR-60 a few years ago for use at the office. I compared & listened to several others - Sonys, Sennheisers, etc. I was comparing for (1) sound quality, (2) comfort, and (3) cost in that order and the Grados were far superior to the others I tried. My test listening tracks included Coltrane, Zappa, James Brown and blues. The Grados were the only ones where I could hear the vibration in the wood of an upright bass clearly along with Elvin Jones's cymbals. Yes, they are a bit heavier than others, and yes, they are a bit uglier than other (I prefer to think of them as "retro cool"). I ended up buying another pair for home and one for my kid in college.

Now if I could only find an equivalent sounding set of earphones to use with my Treo...
    I have the 2c and the 4c. The 4c is much better both in sound quality and looks (which I don't really care). The 4c also fits better in your ear since it comes with different types if fittings. I tends to like the silicon ones best. The 2c only offer rubber type which hurt my ear after extensive use.

IMO, the 4c has much more dynamic and has a better bass. I feel I can distingusih different instruments better. I wasn't going to spend that much either until I read the review. After buying and trying, it is no turning back. So if you aren't going to spend that much, don't test it.

All in all, I love mine, and even made my own handsfree from it. Search my post to take a look at it.
    Man, I'm pretty bummed. Riding my bike last night, listening to Kenny Chesney with PocketTunes, the sound started going bad. Found out that the jack is messed up. I have only used the Palm adapter with my earbuds. Now I am going to have to go through a getting a replacement.
  18.    #18  
    Well...I've spent a lotta time lately at the head-fi forums trying to figure out what I should get. Here were my final decisions:

Sony MDR-V6 for taking to the library, wearing in my dorm while the roomie's studyin', wearin' on a plane to block out noise and keep peace with my neighbor, etc. They've been making these headphones forever since they've gotta good design, even if they quit making 'em...you'd still see them around 10 or 15 years into the future because they're built like tanks, they sound good, feel comfortable, and will prevent sound leakage which is what I'm looking for.

Koss KSC75 for exercising (running, biking, just plain on the go)...I don't exercise all that much but hopefully these $15 decent sounding cans will motivate me enough to start. They supposedly sound great for $15 and are apparently very comfortable...apparently they've been getting a lotta good reviews lately.

Panasonic RP-HJE50 for my girlfriend...she always complains about her iPod buds hurting her ears after an hour. I was planning on buying her some EX71s, but I said in that forum I mentioned above how I didn't like to hear that the plastic around the wires disenegrated quickly...and they recommended the Panasonic semi-canals instead. They supposedly sound better than the Sonys, last much longer, and are a few bucks cheaper to boot.

In the future, I really wanna try some open cans like an Alessandro MS-1 with an amp against the MDR-V6s...from what I hear there'd be no comparison in the quality since they're completely different styles.

Thanks for the head-fi forum suggestion guys...now you've given me one more vice. Great!!
  19.    #19  
    Guys....if any of you don't have any REAL headphones/earbuds other than the ones that came stock with any portable audio device....that Koss KSC75 clipon headphone is AWESOME!!!

Apparently it uses the driver from a Koss Portapro, I believe....and it's clipped on comfortably to your ear (it's like a curved end of some glasses that wrap around the back of your ear and sqeeze your lobe...and it's adjustable since it's made of metal). I tried 'em against the basic iPod buds and some Sony MDR-V300 'phones...it was no contest. The KSC75 sound is sooo clean. The only problem is that they're clipons, which means the sound isn't isolated.

If you can handle the sound going in and out (i.e. - you're at work but still need to answer a phone/question, you're jogging, you're sittin' around the room, etc.), you're capable of getting a $15~20 pair of QUALITY headphones that feel comfortable and I'm pretty sure they're going to last a few years.

I got those V6s for anytime I make a visit to the library or otherwise neat quiet headphones. I can't wait to hear how they sound compared to these clipons.

You can buy the KSC75 for $15 off the internet, prolly shipped if you look in the right places or add another $10 worth of stuff at Amazon. If you're an impulsive buyer or don't feel like waiting for these for whatever reason, Circuit City has 'em for $20 + tax. I picked the Circuit City route.
    Koss PortaPro.
    I used to be a headphone freak, so I've used almost all the headphones I could get my hands on...(lots of them, w/ diff amps....). Right now I sold all of them but the Etymotic ER-4P. They're the best thing ever invented IMHO.

Koss PortaPro is excellent in its price range, especially if you listen to Pop, Rock or R&B stuff... and they're very portable & light, if you break them(no matter how ugly it looks), just send them back to Koss + a $5 dollar check and they'll give you a new pair.

Sony MDR-V6 sound great but it's very uncomfortable for long period listening because the earcups are not deep & big enough so they slightly squeeze your ears. I find it very uncomfortable after more than 20-30min of listening.

shure E4c, I don't like them just because I listen to classical music as much as I listen to everything else, they're not as flat & neutral as the er4s.
    Last edited by shinew; 08/21/2005 at 05:59 PM.