1.    #1  
    Quickword = Smart Doc plus desktop conduit for integration with word.$20 or free (according to cesinc website) upgrade from smart doc.

Haven't tried it yet, but sure to be good.

I just upgraded from SmartDoc. I will post impressions once I get it installed and check it out.

- Ryan
    Well I have spent a good portion of time working with Quickword and the sync conduit and have had a lot of trouble. The Palm app works fine, however, the conduit seems to have a lot of problems. I can get a document installed (a Word .doc file on my PC) but on the next sync it deletes the Palm file I just installed and deletes the .qwd (Quickword DOC format) file from my PC. Clearly this is a problem. I am about to e-mail CES and I will let you know what they say. Anyone else had these problems, or alternately gotten it to work?

- Ryan
    I have quicksheet and want quickword, has anyone upgraded to the office from just quicksheet. I was hoping they would give me a break. ie quicksheet is $39(discounted to $29) and the quickoffice is $39.
    Originally posted by jbowma4
    I have quicksheet and want quickword, has anyone upgraded to the office from just quicksheet. I was hoping they would give me a break. ie quicksheet is $39(discounted to $29) and the quickoffice is $39.
    I got the Quickoffice upgrade from Quicksheet for $9.95. Basically it just adds Quickword.

I'm also having the exact same problems with the desktop conduit deleting some of my docs. Well, at least I'm not the only one. Let us know what you find out from your email, please. Thanks.
    Joe V. - Sprint Nextel Business Solutions - SoCal
    I just got the following e-mail from CES:
    Recently you purchased or trialed Quickoffice and/or Quickword.
    Unfortunately, as with many brand new products, we have discovered a last
    minute problem that might have affected your use of the program.

In particular if you downloaded the software from Thursday 11/9/00 through
    Sunday 11/12/00, you likely will encounter one of two problems.

Problem 1
    ---------
    You tap the Quickword icon in the Palm Launcher but the program doesn't
    start.

RESOLUTION to Problem 1:
    a) From the Application Launcher, choose menu / Delete Apps;
    b) Scroll through the list of applications looking for any documents and
    select each document you find (including Quickword Key if found) and click
    Delete;
    c) Download the new installation set from the URL in the confirmation email
    you received from us and proceed to reinstall Quickword/Quickoffice.

Problem 2
    ---------
    Create new documents on the Palm or PC and they are transferred once, but
    then deleted on subsequent synchronization's.

RESOLUTION to Problem 2:
    Download the new installation set from the URL in the confirmation email you
    received from us and proceed to reinstall Quickword/Quickoffice.

I apologize profusely for this error on our part. Please download the trial
    or full version again from the URLs in your confirmation email and install
    over your existing version.
    I just downloaded the new version but won't get a chance to install and try it out until I get home (where my cradle is). It looks like they are aware of our problems and have fixed the software.

- Ryan
  7. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I downloaded the trial version of Quick Office on Monday, so I got the corrected version. I have not had any of the sync problems mentioned by rdanell. Overall, I am pretty impressed and will most likely purchase the program. I have been trying the trial version of Documents to Go (DTG), so my feelings about Quick Office (QO)are in comparison to it.

I very much like the new document feature of QO. Beats by far the run around required by DTG to get a new doc. I also find the Stowaway keyboard MUCH more responsive to QO. I would have already purchased DTG if it wasn't so slow when typing on the keyboard. I like the features of QO a little better also. However, DTG does allow more formatting options such as bold, italic, etc. This was a rather hard feature to access in DTG, though, so I didn't use it much anyway. QO claims that this feature will be added in later versions. Where DTG does shine over QO is the conduit. QO is much slower to sync and doesn't make new documents created on the handheld as easily accessable. DTG places them directly into My Documents folder on the PC. I have only been able to find my new documents in QO in the Quick Office Desktop. Then I open them in Word and do a Save As. I think there must be a setting somewhere to change where the docs are being saved in QO, but I haven't looked for it too hard yet. I never played much with Sheets to Go, but I do think that QuickSheets is a better program. In the end, I deleted DTG from my Visor and will register QO when my eval period ends.

Stephen
    I have had a chance to install the updated version Quickword with the Quickoffice conduit and I agree with Stephen, that it seems to work as advertised now, however, there are a few issues. I have not tried DTG so my impressions are only from what I have heard about DTG, and with respect to SmartDoc (CES’s previous DOC editor for the Palm) which I upgraded from.

The major issue I found with Quickword is installing documents. You can not just use the standard Palm install tool to install .pdb files which are in the DOC format for the Palm (i.e. the way you normally would install files). When I tried to do this it seemed that the conduit would get confused and either bag-out without completing it’s sync or it would delete the file which was just installed. Either way after doing another sync the result was loosing the file that I tried to install form the standard install tool. The workaround I found for this was to set the Quickoffice conduit to “Handheld Overwrites Desktop” for the sync when you want to install new documents using the Palm install tool. After this point it seemed to recognize the file(s) and perform successful syncs. Of course you would want to do a standard sync before this so that any changes you made to your documents on your PC would not be overwritten. I have not yet tried Pilot Install to individually install DOC files so this may be a method to get a DOC file on your Palm without using the Quickoffice conduit. This is not so much of a problem once you have everything up and running as most of the time you will make a document that you want to work with and can then just save it to the conduit and hotsync it. The problem comes when you want to add Quickword to your handheld and have to set-up all your existing DOCs, or when you download a .pdb file that you want to install. In my case when I installed Quickword and did the first sync with the conduit it DELETED ALL my documents!! Yep, that is right. I had all the important ones backed-up, but this is really not a very easy upgrade, and NO, it did not mention anything about this in the manual.

The second issue I have with the conduit is that when it syncs any changes you made to a document with Quickword (on your handheld) it eliminates all the formatting that you might have in your MSWord document. I guess it is understandable that this would happen, but this “feature” is also not documented. All the documentation I read mentions that you can not format things on the Palm, however, it does not say anything about eliminating the formatting of your PC document. As far as I know DTG does not do this. As long as you are aware of this, you can work around it, and not put final formatting into a document until you are done editing it on your Palm, but CES should at least make this clear.

With all this said, once you get the conduit set-up it seems to work pretty well. I would agree that it is pretty slow as it seems to at least look at, if not back up, every document on your handheld on every sync. However, with USB it takes no more than 1/2 a second per document on my unit, so it is not that painful. I would also agree that the handheld app, Quickword, works very well. It is almost identical to SmartDoc (with a few minor improvements) and works just as well, fast response to a Stowaway, etc.

As a free upgrade from SmartDoc this is a deal. A document editor with a conduit for 20 bucks is also a deal, however, if you want a fully featured, fast conduit without any problems, you might still look at TakeNote, even though it is a lot more money.

- Ryan
    Originally posted by rdanell
    As a free upgrade from SmartDoc this is a deal. A document editor with a conduit for 20 bucks is also a deal, however, if you want a fully featured, fast conduit without any problems, you might still look at TakeNote, even though it is a lot more money.
    Their FAQ and readme files indicate that formatting should be forthcoming in a future upgrade/release. That would make this one sweet app!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...