Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All you have to do is convert the mp3's to wav, and then send the wav file to your phone via bluetooth. It will then appear in your list of available ringtones.

If you have Ringo installed (unregistered of course, otherwise you won't need to do this), then you'll need to uninstall it, as it creates conflict with this setup for whatever reason. At least it did for me.

Just make sure you only put 5-10 second clips (how often do you let the phone ring past that amount of time anyway?) of the mp3, as wav files are roughly 10 times the size of mp3's, and will eat up your phone memory if you're not careful. But you only need a few ringtones anyway.

Free Program to convert MP3's to wav files

Use the Audio File Format Converter program that is part of the program suite that I just listed above.

And if your PC or Mac is not bluetooth, you can make it bluetooth for $25 by getting this very good bluetooth dongle:

Zonet Bluetooth 1.2 Class 1 Dongle

Enjoy!
    Last edited by LABachlr; 08/13/2005 at 10:10 PM.
    Hmm..I've always used CDex to rip CDs. And I noticed that CD-DA rips "copyright-protected" CDs....does anybody know how well that works?

As for that bluetooth adapter....it'll prolly be OK for DUN and pretty much anything. But if you want an adapter to serve up network access from your home lan to your Treo...you'll want to spend a lil more money and get the Linksys USBBT100
    All my attempts at doing this have failed. I simply use Sound Forge to create my .wav and proceed as indicated above. When the caller calls my phone the default ring persists. I also noticed when I choose the ringtone for the favorites page (in the sound pane that pops up to allow you to preview the sound) it doesn't play the custome ones, only the ones the phone came with. However if I go to manage my sounds it plays fine from that list. Any help would be great since I've had disastrous effects with third party ringtone software. Thanks!
    Last edited by gordian; 09/08/2005 at 02:38 AM.
  4.    #4  
    That's exactly what happened to me when Ringo was still installed and I was trying to do this. I uninstalled Ringo and was good to go!

Uninstall ALL third party software that manages ringtones, and then try it.
    I have uninstalled Ringo, the only ringtone manager I've used in the past.
  6.    #6  
    What firmware does your 650 have and what cellular company are you with? Are you using the latest firmware?
    Wow this is great, the converter worked really well.

Is there a FREE program to edit either mp3 or wave files?

I have a full song as a mp3 and want to use just a short clip of it was a ringer. The wav converter converts the whole song.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Atif
    Is there a FREE program to edit either mp3 or wave files?

Audacity
    Quote Originally Posted by LABachlr
    Thanks! BTW I think the link is for the mac version. I was able to download it directly from the developers.
    Can you transfer the files via the USB/Hotsync cable, or does it need to be via bluetooth? I'm very familiar with the sound file format conversions, but new to the Treo. I don't have an SD card yet either, so I know my space is limited. Christmas is coming.
    SolarEclipse,

I don't know if this helps you, but I had no problems sending a WAV file from my ThinkPad to my Treo using I/R. It picked it right up and was able to use it as a ring tone.

Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by NCtux
    SolarEclipse,

I don't know if this helps you, but I had no problems sending a WAV file from my ThinkPad to my Treo using I/R. It picked it right up and was able to use it as a ring tone.

Have fun!
    Yeah, I picked up that tip from another thread. Works great. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NCtux
    SolarEclipse,

Have fun!

Is there another option to send it to the Treo if the computer has neither bluetooth or i/r? I'm only using an iBook and familiar with the sound format and editing. Please let me know. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I used Ringo when I had my Cingular 650, and it worked fine. Every now and again it didn't work, lets say like twice a week, and I just needed to load Ringo, play a tune and it was fine. I always got my ringtones by going to walmart's website in Blazer and listening to the 30 second sound clips they have, the Treo has to download those to listen, so I download it, rename it, and there you go, for the most part, the part of the song you want in a 30 second clip at 64k! Easy as pie! At least for me and my girlfriend!
    Just mail a .wav to yourself and you can open it in versamail and it will show up as an option for a ring tone.

I do it that way.
    yeah i found out that transferring via nokia phone will also work
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Kool. Thanks for the reply. I'll try that option.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hariustrk
    Just mail a .wav to yourself and you can open it in versamail and it will show up as an option for a ring tone.

I do it that way.
    I did the same way you did, and previewed it in Sounds App, but no sound is coming out. It's asking me to rename it after I preview it. Should i rename it to .amr instead of .wav?
    how does one edit the file to make it smaller? I downloaded Audacity and converted alright, but it is 36mgs. Thanks for the help - I am using a Mac
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbdaigo
    how does one edit the file to make it smaller? I downloaded Audacity and converted alright, but it is 36mgs. Thanks for the help - I am using a Mac
    Open the wav file in Sound Studio and do "Resample Audio". Change the settings to 22khz/8bit/mono. It should trim the file down to kb or the most, about 2 megs. You're gonna have to trim it to play to about 30 - 40 sec clip so the file wont be as much.
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast