Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LABachlr
    All you have to do is convert the mp3's to wav, and then send the wav file to your phone via bluetooth. It will then appear in your list of available ringtones.
    nm...new question though...
    Last edited by RicoM; 12/30/2005 at 10:08 PM.
    Alright, I got this to work, but when you transfer the file over BT it automatically goes into internal memory. My ringtone worked fine, but then I tried to transfer it over to my SD card to save some precious space and it no longer was recognizable as a ringtone.

So, I have two questions...1) Is there a way to transfer a .wav file from internal memory to a SD card and still have the phone recognize it and/or 2) Is there a way to Drop the file directly into the SD card from you computer and still have the phone application recognize it as a ringtone?

Thanks!
    Help! I've converted my .mp3 into a .wav, I even cut it down to about 5 seconds, I I sent it to my phone over BlueTooth and everything was fine, I selected it in the Sounds and it played as a preview, but when I tested it (by having someone call me) the old ringer rang instead of the new .wav file! Any ideas?
    Sounds like you saved it to your sounds, but have not assigned it to your ring tone....or maybe you have a custom ring tone assigned to that friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer
    Sounds like you saved it to your sounds, but have not assigned it to your ring tone....or maybe you have a custom ring tone assigned to that friend.
    I first set it as my ringtone for "known" callers. It didn't work. So then I went into the favorites button for the person calling me and set it as that person's ringtone. It still didn't work!

But it still plays as a preview when I select it in as the ringtone. I don't get why it would keep playing my old ringtone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    But it still plays as a preview when I select it in as the ringtone. I don't get why it would keep playing my old ringtone.
    i was having this same problem last night at one point, a soft reset seems to have done the trick.

here are my exact steps (for anyone in the future):
    • i converted a 6 second mp3 file to a mono/22khz/8bit wav file and emailed it to myself
    • i opened the attachment from versamail into Sounds (it reset when i tried to do so through Chatter)
    • i selected it as my ringtone. it played fine when i selected it, however it still used my old ringtone when it received a call
    • i did a soft reset (open battery door, press button with stylus)
    • calls now used my new ringtone!
    I'm experiencing the same problem. (get default ringtone rather than recorded one)

I've got a Verizon Treo 650, Palm OS Garnet v5.4.8

I haven't tinkered with the ROM. As far as I know I haven't installed any hacks or ringtone managers.

When I go into Prefs/Sound & Alerts/Tones there's a New key and I can record a sound. I can play that sound.

When I Edit a Favorites Button from the phone application page I can select that new sound. But when a call comes in from that number I get the default ring. If I select any other (preinstalled) sound, I get that preinstalled sound. But if I select a sound that I recorded, I get the default sound.

I did the following steps:

1. Record a new sound
    2. Soft-reset the Treo
    3. Assign the sound to a favorites button
    3. Call from that phone number
    --> I get the default sound.

4. Soft-reset the Treo again
    5. Call from that phone number
    --> still get the default sound

I'm willing to claim that this feature is broken, even though the manual says it works. Is there any point in writing to Verizon about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by nlfn
    i was having this same problem last night at one point, a soft reset seems to have done the trick.

here are my exact steps (for anyone in the future):
    • i converted a 6 second mp3 file to a mono/22khz/8bit wav file and emailed it to myself
    • i opened the attachment from versamail into Sounds (it reset when i tried to do so through Chatter)
    • i selected it as my ringtone. it played fine when i selected it, however it still used my old ringtone when it received a call
    • i did a soft reset (open battery door, press button with stylus)
    • calls now used my new ringtone!

I'm new to my Treo 650 (Sprint's my carrier). I have a small wav file I created that I emailed using versamail to myself (from my computer). I can hear the wav file, but can't locate the option where I can save it into Sounds (or anywhere else for that matter). Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    Help! I've converted my .mp3 into a .wav, I even cut it down to about 5 seconds, I I sent it to my phone over BlueTooth and everything was fine, I selected it in the Sounds and it played as a preview, but when I tested it (by having someone call me) the old ringer rang instead of the new .wav file! Any ideas?
    Answered this previously...

Quote Originally Posted by LABachlr
    That's exactly what happened to me when Ringo was still installed and I was trying to do this. I uninstalled Ringo and was good to go!

Uninstall ALL third party software that manages ringtones, and then try it.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetJunkie
    I'm new to my Treo 650 (Sprint's my carrier). I have a small wav file I created that I emailed using versamail to myself (from my computer). I can hear the wav file, but can't locate the option where I can save it into Sounds (or anywhere else for that matter). Any help would be appreciated.

TIA!
    Bluetooth it.
    I was trying the versamail route because my desktop PC doesn't have bluetooth.
  12.    #32  
    You can bluetooth it for $11.99 after rebate:

Zonet Bluetooth Dongle

TIA!
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108887
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I believe you can do the same by just dragging the wav file into your hotsync quick install box.

The quick install is more useful then most people realize, you can also drag a movie file into the bottom box (for the SD card) and it will automatically convert it into a file that the treo can natively play.
    I could not get it to work with SD card at all. I used Audacity to trim the MP3 and save as a WAV. Could not figure out how to get Audacity to save as smaller WAV though.

Used MS Sound Recorder - open 2.5MB WAV, FIle, select Properties, COnvert Now, select format with 8 bit mono, 11 KHz and size went to 160K. Bluetooth over to Treo and bingo.

If someone knows how to get Audacity to generate the small WAV file pls let me know. I tried the Preferences, no dice.

If anyone can get ringtones to work off of SD also chime in

Tried to attach a zip with some new favs - anyone know why I get an error when I click upload?

Anyhow, THANKS to the original poster!
    Last edited by robotron; 04/23/2006 at 10:17 PM.
    Hello;
    I have a question about using an mp3 as a ringtone. How do I get the edited .wav onto the phone? My phone is a company phone so we do not have versamail activated. I sync my phone with the desktop using a bluetooth adapter. Palm Desktop will not allow me to drag the .wav file for transfer. I have tried sending a text message to the phone with the file attached but I never receive it. Any ideas? I would really like to add this ringtone to my phone.
    The ronster
    Quote Originally Posted by ronster321
    Hello;
    I have a question about using an mp3 as a ringtone. How do I get the edited .wav onto the phone? My phone is a company phone so we do not have versamail activated. I sync my phone with the desktop using a bluetooth adapter. Palm Desktop will not allow me to drag the .wav file for transfer. I have tried sending a text message to the phone with the file attached but I never receive it. Any ideas? I would really like to add this ringtone to my phone.
    Othe than using a 3rd party manager, the only way I know of is to mail it to yourself as in post # 33 above. Not sure why mailing makes it register. Sems to be no reason tho why you can't set up Versamail with a personal e-mail address.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    when I download a wav file it will give me a choice to save it as a pocket tune file or save to SD card.
    I even uninstalled PTune but then it will give me a choice to install as an application (which ends up as an error) or save to SD card.
    I can not get the treo to acknowledge the wav file as a Ringtone sound file.
    any suggestions?
    Last edited by Mateen; 05/05/2006 at 01:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    when I download a wav file it will give me a choice to save it as a pocket tune file or save to SD card.
    I even uninstalled PTune but then it will give me a choice to install as an application (which ends up as an error) or save to SD card.
    I can not get the treo to acknowledge the wav file as a Ringtone sound file.
    any suggestions?
    I was only able to get this to work when I sent directly to the phone via bluetooth. Using the Palm install tool to main memory or the SD card did not make it a ringer.
    not to argue or anything like that but if it is a wav file, it ain't mp3 at the poine you do file conversion. So your discussion tiopic " How play MP3 ringtones on your Treo 650 without 3rd party software" is not right.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast