Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I won't be silent any longer. I have used VC since it came out and other than an interaction problem around a month ago, I have had no problems with it. The support Jeff gives is excellent and he has addressed every issue. Ben
    Is VC still in beta?
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    Quickly to bring the thread back on topic. There's seems to be a second user weighing in on the issue of VolumeCare's effects on the phone.

And since this appears to be the right thread, I will make it two.

I trialed VolumeCare, and it seems to work really well. However, I think it is too expensive and don't really want to buy it. (Especially since I am already thinking of my future Windows Mobile device--just don't know which one it will be yet...)

However, once the trial expires, it does appear that volume on the phone is lowered to an unusual level, and there doesn't seem to be much to correct it.

This strikes me as a little unusual and potentially (I said POTENTIALLY) unethical, if the trial does have any longterm effect. After all, the total number of users saying there is a problem would be 3, but one of them felt compelled to purchase the product to correct the issue.

Hmmmmmmmm....
    I just found this thread and I will be posting a few responses but I wanted to address this one first.

I would NEVER, and I did capitalize that for a reason, do anything that would be distructive in hopes that it would sell more software!!! A simple soft reset will remove *all* effects of VolumeCare from your Treo. I only used approved API calls provided by Palm to Palm Develpers in *all* of my applications. So please do not ever think that I would lower myself to this level of unethical behavior.

It could very well be that you got used to the increased volume and more than ever realised how low the volume is in the 650's.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    I have read all the post and all the user ratings how well volume care is. I had no problem with my phone before downloading volumecare, people could hear me well and I could hear everyone as well. From so much speculation of the volume care on treocentral I figure let me try it maybe it will make my phone sounds even better. I install volume care I have enabled. From my first test person on the other end could hear me the same except I couldnít hear that person well. After couple of test calls I was upset that I couldnít hear people, I have disable volume care to see if it resolve the problem. But that brought me another big problem, now people cannot hear me at all. Everyone calls and tells me call them back from the land line, or people talk and they donít hear me responding to their questions (so frustrating). Volume care killed my default microphone sound (made it very low). Well now volume care expired and my phone is not useful at all. I am actually thinking wipe out the phone image and reinstall it again. Please some one help me on how to restore my default microphone settings. If I wonít find a resolution I might take it to the sprint store for a repair.

Roman
    I would be very happy to work with you directly to solve this issue. I routinely help people through issues like this. There is no need for repair and a simple soft reset will restore all of the setting VolumeCare modified.

Send me an email: GoTreo@wideopenwest.com and I will send you my phone number if you are interested in making this work.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I don't know if the product makes permanent changes to the phone's speaker/mic volume, but I do know that with it installed and configured, it works quite well. I think any time you tinker with the factory settings like that, via any program, you run the risk of having issues. My 2 cents.
    I do *NOT* make perminant changes to any Treo feature. I use only Palm approved programming calls in all of my programs. The changes made by VolumeCare are reversed at the next Soft Reset.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    So what happens if you delete the app after the trial period? Does normal volume get restored?

I know you said POTENTIALLY unethical, but I don't see anything wrong with crippling an app after the trial period, as long as proper operation is restore if it's deleted.

If deleting the app doesn't restore normal volume, then I'd say there might be a problem.
    Deleting the application and performing a soft reset will restore all factory settings. Early versions of the Beta did not properly restore the factory settings after disabling the program but the current version should be restoring the settings after a disable. But certainly after a soft reset all settings will be restored.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Is VC still in beta?
    There is usually always a version in Beta/Early Access but I also have a production available. I support 2 different download areas on my website. An Early Access Release part and a general availability section. If you putt from the Early Access Release section, then this software has not been completely tested and you could encounter unexpected feature failures. The version on the other side of the download area (and all of my distribution partners) have the officially available software.

Jeff
    The online tutorial and the online help try's to talk about these topics. But here is some more detail:

The Volume Control is the *starting* volume level for every phone call.
    The Boost is the governor for the maximum possible volume level. It sets the upper bound to the volume range. Its just like the governor in your car. If your car is limited by the device to 100mph, then no matter how hard you press the gas pedal the car will not go any faster. The same is true with the volume in your phone and the Boost level is what limits the volume.

The volume rocker key on the side of the phone will work as it normally works. Allowing you to change the volume level within the range of possible volume levels. The only difference is that you can continue to raise the volume well beyond the graphic control that shows the volume level. So once this display shows maximum volume, just keep hitting the volume UP button and the volume will keep getting louder until it reaches the "Boost" limit.

The MIC setting is a little touchy but if configured correctly, will give you some impressive gains. The Volume setting needs to be nearly to the TOP of the volume range. The factory setting on this control is 4 clicks from the TOP of the volume range. So make sure to not go lower than this level or people many have a hard time hearing you. BUT if you are in a really loud environment, lowering this value may help mask out the background noise. The BOOST level should probably be in the TOP position. Now you can adjust the VOLUME during a call with the Option+5-wayUP/DOWN key combination. So if people are saying they can not hear you, turn up the volume on the MIC with the Option+5-Way UP key combination. Your voice will get louder and louder.

Hope this helps!
    Jeff
  9.    #29  
    Jeff,

Thanks for your assistance. I didnít want to start any hate war with this thread. I was just frustrated with all the complaints I was getting from all of the people that were talking to me on my phone. I will look more into the issue. Once again thanks for your assistance.

P.S. For those who are curious as to why I chose SilentMember its because I was one of the millions of people who come to treocentral on a daily basis for years and read all the topics but never register or comment on any post.

Roman
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentMember
    Jeff,

Thanks for your assistance. I didnít want to start any hate war with this thread. I was just frustrated with all the complaints I was getting from all of the people that were talking to me on my phone. I will look more into the issue. Once again thanks for your assistance.

P.S. For those who are curious as to why I chose SilentMember its because I was one of the millions of people who come to treocentral on a daily basis for years and read all the topics but never register or comment on any post.

Roman
    No problem. Let me jump on my soap box for a minute. I personally hate it when flamming threads get started. They are not productive in any way. I pride myself in running forums that do not have flamming posts. I want everyone to feel free to post constructively without the fear of being belittled or flammed for your post. If you read through the thousands of posts in my forum you will not find more than 2 or 3 posts that have a non-professional tone to them. I welcome both positive and negative comments about my software and my work in general. I may not always like what you say but if it is done in a professional manner then everybody will respect your view point. I think I have a strong history of listening and making changes when appropriate. My goal is to get people like yourself off the side lines and start participating. You will *not* run the risk of people bashing or flamming you in my forums if you keep your posts professional. Those that choose to not keep them professional, I will request they no longer post in my developer area.

I also have an open email, IM and phone line policy. You are free to contact me at any time and I will make the time to help you through a problem. My Email is: GoTreo@wideopenwest.com and my AIM ID: GoTreo. I will send my phone number if you send me an email or an IM requesting it. I want people to get value from my applications.

Jeff
    Jeff should be like "developer of the year" ! I make a nomination, who will second?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Cheers to:
    1. Roman for taking advice, editing his initial post and becoming constructive
    2. Mark (the moderator) for editing the title of this thread
    3. all for bringing this thread back on topic, and
    4. Jeff for addressing this issue with his professional and agreeable nature

OK... enough ranting....

PS
    And yes, I second the nomination!
    Quote Originally Posted by eKeith
    Cheers to:
    1. Roman for taking advice, editing his initial post and becoming constructive
    2. Mark (the moderator) for editing the title of this thread
    3. all for bringing this thread back on topic, and
    4. Jeff for addressing this issue with his professional and agreeable nature
    I agree -- the tone of this thread has done a complete turnaround. Kudos to all involved!

BTW, a big thank you to Jeff for the great applications he provides, as well as his professionalism and obvious commitment to providing support to his customers.
    Thanks all! I am happy to see this thread turn around. I really want everyone's feedback. That is how products continue to get better and better. I also want those that are silent readers to step up and start posting! Its easy and you will feel good about helping to perfect products you enjoy. In my forums, no question is too basic and there is *no* stupid question. Get involved!

Jeff

(BTW: I changed the title to this thread when it was moved to my forum. I will not normally do this unless the change is because of language.)
    I was having a bit of problems after I registered Volume Care. I really like the app but I kept having problems with callers suddenly not being able to hear me during a conversation. It seem to correct if I would adjust the volume really quickly before they hung up on me. Started happening more frequently so I had to uninstall.

I tried to play with the sliders a bit but it kinda hard as you have to wait for another caller to talk to for a bit before it happens Anyone have this problem that has some more specific directions for settings of the mic slider?

thx,
    Hotoru
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    My experience w VC has been mixed. Currently I do not have it installed and am using Technicians "Volume Booster" option with only satisfactory results. One issue is my VC never saves my current volume level when I choose to do so, it always reverts back to a lower setting. Properly adjusting all the levels to a consistent level that operates that way day in and day out is difficult or just doesn't work. My system sounds used to come on every so often so I would go into prefs>sounds>off and reselect off. I cannot prove that this is caused by VC but am testing now with it uninstalled. Also, I have to wonder why there are SO many updates - it's difficult to keep up and I'm sure there are lots if users who don't check for updates regularly, lord knows what there missing.
    I have to 100% agree with the fact that Jeff is THE most responsive, dedicated, and attentive developer I have seen in 6 years of Palm ownership, kudos to him. I'm sure I will reinstall VC soon and tweak some more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotoru
    I was having a bit of problems after I registered Volume Care. I really like the app but I kept having problems with callers suddenly not being able to hear me during a conversation. It seem to correct if I would adjust the volume really quickly before they hung up on me. Started happening more frequently so I had to uninstall.

I tried to play with the sliders a bit but it kinda hard as you have to wait for another caller to talk to for a bit before it happens Anyone have this problem that has some more specific directions for settings of the mic slider?

thx,
    Hotoru
    This does not sound consistent with the behavior of VolumeCare. I have heard of these problems happening only after you get a second call while you are currently in a conversation. Once you clear the incoming call notification, VolumeCare will restore the MIC volume. This is a known problem with the Treo's.

When you do get the MIC drop off, use the VolumeCare key sequence: OPTION 5-way UP. Meaning press and HOLD the OPTION key and while you are holding down the Option key, press and release the 5-way navigation UP button. See if this restores the MIC for this call.

Otherwise write to me with your phone number and I will call you to discuss.

Jeff
    support AT GoTreoSoftware.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    My experience w VC has been mixed. Currently I do not have it installed and am using Technicians "Volume Booster" option with only satisfactory results. One issue is my VC never saves my current volume level when I choose to do so, it always reverts back to a lower setting. Properly adjusting all the levels to a consistent level that operates that way day in and day out is difficult or just doesn't work. My system sounds used to come on every so often so I would go into prefs>sounds>off and reselect off. I cannot prove that this is caused by VC but am testing now with it uninstalled. Also, I have to wonder why there are SO many updates - it's difficult to keep up and I'm sure there are lots if users who don't check for updates regularly, lord knows what there missing.
    I have to 100% agree with the fact that Jeff is THE most responsive, dedicated, and attentive developer I have seen in 6 years of Palm ownership, kudos to him. I'm sure I will reinstall VC soon and tweak some more!
    I will be glad to work directly with you if you send me your phone number!

The current version of VolumeCare is 5.46 and there is a menu option in VolumeCare that will automatically check for and install a the new version if your version is old.

VolumeCare will save the VOLUME setting if you press the Save Current Volume in the new Volume Graph. But this option will *not* save maximum values. To save your maximum values, you will need to manually adjust these in the VolumeCare Configuration screen in Phone Mode. If you need to save the "boost" settings, you need to do a little more work. Follow these steps:

1) Go into VolumeCare
    2) Select ADVANCED MODE
    3) Select CONFIGURATION
    4) Now adjust the boost levels to where you want them by default for each call
    5) Press OK
    6) Select AUTOMATIC MODE

Now you should have the default values you desire.

Jeff
    support AT GoTreoSoftware.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12