Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all,

1st off I am a brand new palm user, I have had it for 2 days and so far cant put it down. Coming from a Blackberry with true push I was hessitant to switch to the palm since I really enjoyed the email experience with the BB, but honestly, after a little time with the 650, I like is as much if not better due to certain ways of handling email.

On the BB, there are no folders, just one big pool of emails, so if your like me and have 6+ accounts typically running, the BB can be confusing at times figuring out which mail is from what account, you have to scroll up to the top to find the to: addy to see where the email was sent to.

As you know the 650 offers folders I also thought I was going to really miss the push mail, and sure its an exceptional feature that I will miss, having versamail pull my accounts every hour from 8am - 8pm works wonderfully for me.

Sure, if your in a corperate situation and email is critical, then this may not work for you (though I am guessing "good" is supposed to act the same as a BES)? But over all, I am pretty satisfied with the email situation.

For me, I had always wanted a Palm to so I didnt have 20 loose pieces of paper with notes on them every day, always losing them and trying to remember what they were about. The Palm just seemed like a better choice.

Also the data plan for the palm is $5.00 cheaper than the BB data plan, and since the BB only can do GPRS, your basically paying $50.00 a month for pushmail, not so great if not on an enterprise server.

Anyways, I know this is like preaching to the choir, but hey im excited and so far enjoying my 650 greatly.

Cheers!
    Get chatteremail. It's push for the Treo, if your server supports it.
    Quote Originally Posted by torifile
    Get chatteremail. It's push for the Treo, if your server supports it.
    or SnapperMail, my current favorite...
    David
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have yet to install any 3rd party apps, so far this treo is rock solid, I had traded one in the 1st day since it acted up and I thought it may have been used.

I have this grave fear of adding apps so soon that may cause instability, but I have been reading about both those apps. Versamail does the job but, you have to either set poll each account, if you want to sync all accounts with one button, I have yet to figure a way to do this.

I have read chatter/snapper can do this and they are better apps than versa.

Thanks for the tips

Cheers!
    Cingular xpress mail or Sprint business connect are free and offer push mail from Exchange servers.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I think many would say that switching from Versamail to Chatter or Snappermail would likely improve your stability.
    Chatter or Versa...I don't see anything that Snapper provides anymore.

If you care more about instantaneous response to your emails than battery life, get Chatter. Otherwise, if you're not THAT serious about email and don't want to waste battery life and spend extra money...continue to use Versamail.
    Quote Originally Posted by aristarchus
    I think many would say that switching from Versamail to Chatter or Snappermail would likely improve your stability.
    Versamail's not that unstable since the updates. I don't know how people used it before the c versions, tho....I just kept checking email over a regular PC 'til recently. I'm using Versamail for now....but will change to Chatter if Marc can fix the battery drain issue (maybe he already did with the efficient sync option??).
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Yeah, I love and recommend Chatter as well. Have been a long time user of Snapper but now, Chatter rocks my world. I used to be a BB user, too.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I would go back to Chatter if it supported OWA. that is the only way I can get my corporate e-mail since it is frowned upon to re-direct it to another service like fastmail. I am using Activesync and have my e-mial coming down every 15 minutes with no problems.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Well,

For my personal mail I wouldnt be so worried about using a 3rd party to forward email to me, but for work thats a whole different scenario with sensitive data and all being contained in emails.

From reading the chatter website it says no 3rd patry servers, but after reading on the boards here it would seem in order for you to get true push you would need to forward emails to a 3rd party for imap like fastmail or what not, is this correct?

I have been considering Snapper, but because it looks as if it lays out emails in a more traditional application style, where as chatters main view is emulating the Blackberry mail client.

I am fine with downloading my emails every 30-1hr or manually when I am looking for something specific. I dont know if staying connected the entire day is the solution I am looking for since most of my emails for work are not time critical.

Any views on snapper as compared to versa? Versa does the trick but seems kinda slow and limited, no SD support and attachment sizes and such are kinda small, from what I am seeing as a newbie.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc
    Well,

For my personal mail I wouldnt be so worried about using a 3rd party to forward email to me, but for work thats a whole different scenario with sensitive data and all being contained in emails.

From reading the chatter website it says no 3rd patry servers, but after reading on the boards here it would seem in order for you to get true push you would need to forward emails to a 3rd party for imap like fastmail or what not, is this correct?
    Only if your current mail server does not support IMAP/IDLE.

Most people who forward are using pop accounts like gmail, which don't have an IMAP server.

This would be for any email client that supports push, Chatter, MS Outlook, etc, if your server was POP.

Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc
    I am fine with downloading my emails every 30-1hr or manually when I am looking for something specific. I dont know if staying connected the entire day is the solution I am looking for since most of my emails for work are not time critical.
    Chatter will do this as well, but the obvious reason for Chatter is push.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Chatter rules my world.
    -g-
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    Download demos of each. For POP mail Snapper works fine.
    There are IMAP accounts that do not push it out and that would require forwarding to another service.
    it all depends on the type of email service you have and your needs.
    "Sprint business connect are free" it is? I thought there was a monthly charge......
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo
    Download demos of each. For POP mail Snapper works fine.
    First of all....Why does Versamail not work fine for POP?? What extra features does Snapper provide over either Versamail or Chatter??

Second of all...Why would you use POP at all!???! IMAP is better for many reasons when it comes to syncing your email account over numerous devices.
    1. Verizon didn't supply Versamail with 600. Evidently Versamail is now more stable than it once was (read the archives). Snapper mail allows saving to SD so memory doesn't get used up.
    2. Some email is only available as POP. I've had IMAP before and experienced a lot of problems. That may not be true with most IMAP setups but just being IMAP does mean it's a perfect email server.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino
    "Sprint business connect are free" it is? I thought there was a monthly charge......
    it is free to biz cust. only. ( and if your a biz cust. who opted for the $10 data, they say you cant get biz connect free ) IIRC
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    it is free to biz cust. only. ( and if your a biz cust. who opted for the $10 data, they say you cant get biz connect free ) IIRC
    I was assuming that the "Personal Edition" was free to Sprint users, like it is for Cingular users.

I apologize if I was incorrect in making that assumption.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    "Personal Edition" I assume its also free for Sprint. How do you guys like it? Does it work well?
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast