1.    #1  
    Didn't get the cameraless version so now I'm looking at best way to disable camera. Anyone do this? I was thinking of cracking the case and installing a piece of paper behind the lens. Not sure how hard that would be to do.
    Now why on earth would you do that as opposed to, I dunno say just NOT USE THE CAMERA APPLICATION? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    Last edited by TheLiveSoundGuy; 08/12/2005 at 10:50 PM.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    Didn't get the cameraless version so now I'm looking at best way to disable camera. Anyone do this? I was thinking of cracking the case and installing a piece of paper behind the lens. Not sure how hard that would be to do.
    Go to www.motionapps.com and look at mCamLoc.

As a lawyer, I use it all of the time in courthouses where I am not allowed to bring a camera. After I have shown the "powers that be" that my camera is inoperable...I have had no problem. Basically, the software disables the camera for a stated period of time. Works for me...and the best part is that the camera is still available the rest of the time.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDave
    Go to www.motionapps.com and look at mCamLoc.

As a lawyer, I use it all of the time in courthouses where I am not allowed to bring a camera. After I have shown the "powers that be" that my camera is inoperable...I have had no problem. Basically, the software disables the camera for a stated period of time. Works for me...and the best part is that the camera is still available the rest of the time.
    Since I will have the availability of a computer with me at work what to say I don't just load a backup into the Treo that doesn't have the camera lock in it? I suspect most companies...especially technical companies...won't accept a software solution.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiveSoundGuy
    Now why on earth would you do that as opposed to, I dunno say just NOT USE THE CAMERA APPLICATION? http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    That includes phones and PDAs. That is why they sell cameraless versions of cellphones.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    check out this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ghlight=camera
    I removed my camera using these instructions and everything worked well.
    I don't think any organization that bans cameras/camera phones will except a software only solution.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the pointer. Great guide put together by Swifty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    Since I will have the availability of a computer with me at work what to say I don't just load a backup into the Treo that doesn't have the camera lock in it? I suspect most companies...especially technical companies...won't accept a software solution.
    What's to so say you won't sneak in a pen-sized camera? It's impossible to know what the policy will truly be until you check. Most of these sorts of policies are mostly about keeping honest people honest anyway - it's pretty easy to sneak in a camera if that's what you want to do.

Because of that, some places completely ban cameras, others will allow a software locking solution once they are made aware of it.

If you think about it, I could take apart the phone and remove the camera and then put it back together at work, if that's what I wanted to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    If you think about it, I could take apart the phone and remove the camera and then put it back together at work, if that's what I wanted to do.
    Sure....but the chances of somebody seeing you do that and reporting your actions are pretty high. That's why most people wouldn't go through all that trouble because there are so many other eyes around them...not just the ones scanning them when they initially enter the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    What's to so say you won't sneak in a pen-sized camera? It's impossible to know what the policy will truly be until you check. Most of these sorts of policies are mostly about keeping honest people honest anyway - it's pretty easy to sneak in a camera if that's what you want to do.

Because of that, some places completely ban cameras, others will allow a software locking solution once they are made aware of it.

When visiting DaimlerChrysler, they specifically ask if you have a camera phone or other recording devices in your possession when you enter the building. If you say no and get caught later, you can be banned from entering the building and that is too great a risk for a vendor to take. Numerous other companies have similar policies. The T650 didn't have a cameraless option in February when I purchased mine.
    Unlocked/Unbranded GSM Treo 650
    1.71/1.30 ENA, HW A
    T-Mobile Total Internet
    Quote Originally Posted by gregb882
    When visiting DaimlerChrysler, they specifically ask if you have a camera phone or other recording devices in your possession when you enter the building. If you say no and get caught later, you can be banned from entering the building and that is too great a risk for a vendor to take. Numerous other companies have similar policies.
    With the emphasis on corporate/data security, I have a feeling that many other corporations will be following suit.