1.    #1  
    what is the difference they both play music
    Ptunes can play more file types and also do streaming of mp3 shoucast and ogg files.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  3.    #3  
    I am sorry new treo user dont know what that means mp3 shoucast and ogg files.
    In addition to playing MP3 files that you copy to the Treo memory or SD card, PTunes can play streaming audio from web sites that stream in the MP3 format.

This is useful for listening to radio stations that make their programs available over the internet.

Ogg Vorbis is another format for audio files, like MP3.

You can also use skins to customize the look of Ptunes.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Real makes no software that is good. It's that simple.
    AEROPLAYER!! Streaming radio has pretty sucky quality and is a drain on battery. Aeroplayer sounds better....and if you convert your MP3s to OGGs, you don't even need to pay for Aeroplayer!

Try Aeroplayer and mess around with the EQ....I typically use a "powerful" setting where highs and lows are at the top and mids are set at zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    AEROPLAYER!! Streaming radio has pretty sucky quality and is a drain on battery. Aeroplayer sounds better....and if you convert your MP3s to OGGs, you don't even need to pay for Aeroplayer!

Try Aeroplayer and mess around with the EQ....I typically use a "powerful" setting where highs and lows are at the top and mids are set at zero.
    Quality of streaming audio is pretty subjective. While you may find it sucky, I find it quite acceptable, especially for talk radio. Further, if you wish to listen to either MP3 or streaming audio on your Treo then be prepared....they both will drain the battery, GASP!

Also, while we are being subjective, many have posted that while the EQ is superior in Aeroplayer, it penalizes the user with a large hit on CPU usage, and skipping was more evident in my daily use of AeroPlayer, while non-existant with PocketTunes DLX.

It is clear that Pocket Tunes DLX has the greater feature set and provides the greatest flexability for listening to whatever format or delivery of sound that one might be looking for on thier Treo.

I am a registered user of both, but I only have Pocket Tunes DLX on my machine due to it's larger feature set and lack of skipping. As the Treo is a data-centric device, it was a no-brainer for me in choosing which to keep, the support for streaming cements Pocket Tunes DLX for me as the winner.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    Quality of streaming audio is pretty subjective. While you may find it sucky, I find it quite acceptable, especially for talk radio. Further, if you wish to listen to either MP3 or streaming audio on your Treo then be prepared....they both will drain the battery, GASP!
    Umm...playing MP3s, OGGs, or any format for that matter is not going to drain your battery half as much as streaming audio will. I'll stick with my 128+kbps audio and no skips ever!

Also, while we are being subjective, many have posted that while the EQ is superior in Aeroplayer, it penalizes the user with a large hit on CPU usage, and skipping was more evident in my daily use of AeroPlayer, while non-existant with PocketTunes DLX.
    Again....UMM!! Aeroplayer takes up less RAM and is not as CPU intensive as PTunes. The only time that background playback has been a problem for me is in conjunction with Blazer. It will skip incessantly, and I'm guessing that it's a memory leak or some other problem...not quite a resource hog, but definitely a bug!! I've "fixed" that by buying xiino which is twice as fast as blazer anyway. If you plan to be using Blazer often while listening to music, I'd suggest moving away from Blazer or not trying Aeroplayer until this bug is fixed. Other than the Blazer issue, I've RARELY EVER heard skips in my audio.

It is clear that Pocket Tunes DLX has the greater feature set and provides the greatest flexability for listening to whatever format or delivery of sound that one might be looking for on thier Treo.
    I'd say the EQ issue is of greater concern to me. Aeroplayer also has a TON of free skins, which is semi-important to me. There's also embedded album art support (however, I dunno how to embed a song with art). The only two things that PTunes has over Aeroplayer are streaming audio (which doesn't sound good to me for multiple reasons...I'm sure EV-DO would clear those reasons up, tho) and WMA support. Aeroplayer has those features mentioned above, plus AAC support. I'd say they're virtually neck and neck.....whichever suits you best.

Aeroplayer definitely suited me best, tho...since I have started to convert all my audio to OGGs and won't have to buy a license for the MP3 decoder. Aeroplayer was free for me and provided me with much better features than PTunes could offer me. The only thing i like better in PTunes is the way that it fast-forwards...it incrementally jumps farther and farther the longer you hold it down (i.e. - it jumps 1 sec, 2 sec, 3 sec, 4 sec, 5 sec, 6 sec, 7 sec, etc.). Other than that minor issue, Aeroplayer suits me better.
    Realplayer is OK if you only listen to MP3's ocassionly. I have learned to love the "free" realplayer and it works great for me.
    Realplayer is so ugly, there is no EQ, it can't do AYTHING except play music and skip tracks....you can't even fastforward using the 5-way with realplayer for pete's sake....that's just sad. If it had at least that function, I might have used it as opposed to converting my entire collection to OGGs so that I didn't have to pay for Aeroplayer. But I'm glad Aeroplayer forced me to do it now....it had to be done sooner or later. I've run outta space on my hard drives...now I can fit twice as much audio on both my PCs and my smartphone. That is neat!

As soon as the 2GB cards drop to around $80....I'll be able to fit as many songs on my phone as people fit on their iPod minis. That is sweet!
    I have found that Realplayer simply does not play songs well... every few seconds, there's a "hiccup." I have not had that problem with Pocket Tunes, so I think it's well worth the investment.