1.    #1  
    I would like to know the difference between firmware and software. I have searched around a bit, but many people seem to use the terms interchangebly. However, in my phone info screen I show:

Firmware: 01.31
    Software: Treo650-1.15-CNG

So I updated my software with th emost recent update, but should I also be looking for firmware updates? Whats the difference?

Thanks, I know its a dumb question, but Im a N00b
    Do you know the difference between the Firmware in your PC, Vs the software applications ON your PC? Same difference.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

true but keep in mind that the cdma phones 600/650 do not list FW version...just software (most current 1.12).

This confuses a lot of folks when scanning threads. sometimes the terms get switched.
    The other issue is that the firmware and system software are both in ROM, not RAM. In my mind, that makes them both firmware.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    I stand corrected.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    The other issue is that the firmware and system software are both in ROM, not RAM. In my mind, that makes them both firmware.
    Sure...the stock applications like your Contacts App, and Calculator App, and Calendar App, etc. are in the ROM, and I'd definitely call that part of your BASE FIRMWARE. If it's in ROM, it's part of the firmware.

Any aftermarket applications that you place in RAM are what I'd call, software.

Sure, firmware is software...but not all software is firmware. I think the key word in firmware is "firm"...it ain't budgin', it's in the ROM, it's read-only.
    Firmware: It's usually in NVRAM or other non-volitile memory and controls the the hardware of your device including booting, radio, speaker, etc. NVRAM keeps it's information even when there is no power. You can only delete the Firmware by "burning" or (re)flashing the NVRAM. In the old days, it was called PROM or Programmable ROM etc. and you could take out the chip, burn new firmware to it, and put it back into the device. Today it's easier because you can flash (rewrite) the NVRAM with software. Of course, ROM has similar functionality today, i.e. does not lose information when the power is out. You can also easily re-program the ROM today just like the Firmware. So, one could say that the firmware today is also in ROM, which can be re-flashed. In the Treo, there is probably a portion of the ROM put aside for Firmware and another portion for the Software.

Software: This is the operating system of your device which allows you to execute prgrams. It also includes the applications on the device like calendar, language, lets you install your own programs, etc. Even though the applications can manage the hardware (like sounds, power options, etc.), they do not control the hardware directly. The hardware is controlled by the firmware.

So, yes it is extemely important to keep these things separate. Some hardware fixes, for example the radio circuit update, speaker volume, etc. will be in the firmware and not the software. If you have problems with an application like Versamail, Blazer, etc., you need to update the software.

Hope this helps. Curly.
    I don't know if it'll help Curly, but I hope it helps Sam-I-Am http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif

Thread Crapper

9.    #9  
    yes, very informative, thankyou everyone. My confusion stemmed from the fact that both of them were in rom, I figured they were all one big package.

So the next quest is find the latest firmware - because searching for it brings up the firm/software updater...
    I you have an unlocked GSM phone or Cingular/ATT, go here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...=firmware+1.31