1.    #1  
    Sprint, Verizon, or Cingular for Treo 650? I'm ready to buy one. Which carrier should I go with?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I'd recommend Sprint if you're planning to do alot of online stuff, media streaming, email, sms, etc. It's cheapest by far.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just got mine yesterday from Cingular!

I was debating either Verizon or Cingular, I tried making a few calls from each store on the phones and people felt the voice quality of the Cingular network sounded better, so I said what the hell and went for it.

SO far so good, awesome little device, I cant get any work done here today because I am to busy messing with my Treo lol. I will how ever say that Verizon has a deal right now where they offer the Treo for roughly 30 dollars less than the Cingular if you in a contract with them already, and when you sign up for a data plan they discount the phone another hundred dollars which is pretty sweet.

But since I have a Razr from cingular that also helped make my decision, I like having the ability to swap SIMS around depending on what my needs are, EG: I dont want to cary the 650 to a concert or what not, so I will take the Razr since it fits so well in my pants pockets.

One other thing the folks at Cingular did for me was to give me a free car charger aswell as the treo branded leather holster as a freebie also since I made them aware of the Verizon deal.

Either way, if you can deal with the potonetial issues of the 650, you will probably enjoy it like so many other treo fans here. This is my 1st pda device, so I am excited about all the potential the device can offer.

Cheers!
    Depends on where you are and if you're looking for quality or price...just like any other cell service.

Research specifically for your locale. Check with friends, coworkers, family, etc. Coverage and customer service is paramount. Work your way down from there. If one carrier is a little worse, but the cost tradeoff is worth it in your mind, go with that.

It depends on your needs (quality/price) and the balance you can find there, and where you are.
    Another point for you to consider is insurance. If insuring your Treo through your carrier is important, scratch Cingular off your list. It's amazing (and disappointing) to me that Cingular is not competitive in this area.
    I had an unlocked 650 on Cingular. Horrible reception in my area, very inaccurate billing, no insurance, Bluetooth did not work with my car. Sold the GSM 650 on E-Bay and got a Sprint 650. Could not be happier. Works flawlessly...and Sprint is much cheaper to boot !
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    Research specifically for your locale. Check with friends, coworkers, family, etc. Coverage and customer service is paramount. Work your way down from there. If one carrier is a little worse, but the cost tradeoff is worth it in your mind, go with that.
    What your friends/family members receive with a certain provider prolly won't have anything to do with what you'll experience with a 650. The service provider is about half of the quality of your service...the other half lies inside your phone - the cellular radio!! The 650s happens to be pretty dern strong. I'm pretty sure that as long as you live within a fairly large city (close to an interstate)...you'll get good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    It depends on your needs (quality/price) and the balance you can find there, and where you are.
    Totally true.

Since Sprint's so CHEAP and typically doesn't drop many calls according to visitors of this site, try them first.

Then I'd try Cingular because EDGE is slightly faster when it comes to data than the CDMA networks. Their data is also $20/mo as opposed to Sprint's $10/mo. But I'll always like the call quality of CDMA networks better than GSM, but it really depends on where you live. You can also take this phone overseas if you need to.

Then I'd try Verizon because they're soo dern expensive...$40 or $45/mo for data. That's just insane, IMO. Personally, I'd stay away from this option as Verizon really doesn't provide anything over Sprint....I've never had problems with Sprint coverage. And Sprint's Customer Support has DRAMATICALLY improved over the past year or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawson819
    Another point for you to consider is insurance. If insuring your Treo through your carrier is important, scratch Cingular off your list. It's amazing (and disappointing) to me that Cingular is not competitive in this area.
    This may be true...but no matter what provider you have, you can get State Farm's Personal Article Policy (PAP) and save money even over the prices Sprint & Verizon offer.

The PAP costs $32/yr minimum. To insure my $2,000 under this same PAP, it would only cost $25 or so...but I had to pay the minimum $32 either way, and adding my 650 to the list was $17 or so....so you add the $25 + $17 and you've got $42/yr (over the $32/yr minimum premium) to insure BOTH my laptop and cell phone.

When one of them breaks, THERE IS NO DEDUCTIBLE. Sprint & Verizon each charge $50 JUST for the deductible. The deductible itself is more than the yearly premium I pay for my laptop AND cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    The point that Cingular doesn't offer insurance for pda phones is moot.
    As you yourself correctly pointed out in another thread:
    "it's not as convenient to file a claim with a real agency as opposed to Sprint's lock/line, I'm sure." Couldn't agree with ya more.
    "This is a fairly large reason for me not removing my Treo from lock/line...I can't go back if State Farm decides to cut me outta the picture."
    The fact that you're keeping your Lockline coverage further proves my point.
    You were successful with your State Farm PAP and that's awesome, but that success has not been experienced by everyone here. State Farm insurance rejected.

If Cingular offered coverage on the Treo I'd get it in a second, but instead I need to go elsewhere and hope State Farm doesn't reject my policy like the OP. So, I do think this is valid point. Please unmoot it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawson819
    As you yourself correctly pointed out in another thread:
    "it's not as convenient to file a claim with a real agency as opposed to Sprint's lock/line, I'm sure." Couldn't agree with ya more.
    "This is a fairly large reason for me not removing my Treo from lock/line...I can't go back if State Farm decides to cut me outta the picture."
    The fact that you're keeping your Lockline coverage further proves my point.
    You were successful with your State Farm PAP and that's awesome, but that success has not been experienced by everyone here. State Farm insurance rejected.

If Cingular offered coverage on the Treo I'd get it in a second, but instead I need to go elsewhere and hope State Farm doesn't reject my policy like the OP. So, I do think this is valid point. Please unmoot it!
    Unmooted as per request.

I'm pretty sure that once [if you're able] you sign up...they can't mess with you for the entire length of your contract. I'm not sure if I had actually signed up with State Farm at that time you quoted me...I just signed up like maybe 2 weeks ago, give or take a couple days.

I'm fairly certain that you could sign your contract for longer than a year if you'd prefer. It'd just cost $64 up front instead of $32. But I'm not positive on that issue, so don't quote me.

As for some State Farm agencies rejecting some policies....I don't think they're understanding the point that this is a $400+ phone. That's the minimum price of a pda/phone that they'll insure. The 650 meets that price requirement. If State Farm can't help you out...I'm pretty sure that SOME insurance agency will have their own PAP, so just ask before you make your final decision.

Anyway....as soon as I swap out my 650 for a Hardware B revision (I'm pretty sure I could do this without lock/line, since I've experience manufacturer's defects with the two lower-right keys...but just in case, I'm keeping it so that I can get the B rev), I'm definitely going to be dropping lock/line. I don't see the benefit in paying $60/yr and $50 per breakage/loss/etc.

Sure, it might take me a bit longer to file a claim with State Farm than with lock/line...but, I'm not that important of a person, so I can manage to go a couple days without my phone. Typically, with Sprint, I didn't trade in order to get a replacement phone THE DAY OF the accident anyway....I still waited for Sprint to ship me one. I didn't realize then that I could get one immediately by threatening to cancel my service for the 3 days of absent service.

The point is....if you have Cingular or are considering them....MAKE SURE YOU TALK TO STATE FARM OR ANOTHER LOCAL AGENT ABOUT INSURANCE!!