Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. cng
    Oops, my question wasnt very clear. Can I use my Treo 650's Card Export II as the card reader for the DOS formating?
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cng
    Oops, my question wasnt very clear. Can I use my Treo 650's Card Export II as the card reader for the DOS formating?
    I never tried that but I have old 256 card that I will use to do a test tonight and I let you know.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Filled up this new 2 GB card, replacing my 1 GB one.

Tried mozilla's formatting instructions. It worked! But, the only way for my Treo to see this card after it has been removed is to do a soft reset.

I can take my 1 GB in and out over and over. No problems. The 2 GB, I have to reset after replacing. Or, it comes up and asks me: Do you want to format this card...
    Quote Originally Posted by San Antone RR
    A Little O/T:

DocGo, do you like Card Export? Thinking of getting it, but don't want a PITA app crashing my Treo, because I have a lot of info on my card that I would like to mive between PC and handheld.

It works great--but it is slower than using a Card Reader.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    Thanks for the speed scores and formatting options. Here's the next stupid question:

Other than for storing large amounts of MP3s, what are you doing that's taking up 2GB? If there's a killer app that's using it, I'll get one today.

-Warr
    The more MP3s the better, but I also have about 300 ebooks, and lots of photos. I'd really like a 4 gig card. Then the TREO is truly an Ipod substitute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    I can take my 1 GB in and out over and over. No problems. The 2 GB, I have to reset after replacing. Or, it comes up and asks me: Do you want to format this card...
    This 2gb is the A-Data brand? If so, it is weird that no one else seems to have reported this problem w/A-Data.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I just ordered one from newegg last night based on the feedback from this thread. Where is this 10 buck rebate?
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=neuronbob]Thanks for the formatting tip above. I purchased a Transcend 2 GB card and, out of the box, my VZW Treo 650 wouldn't format it. Once formatted via PC, the card was readable in my Treo 650, PC, and both of my Macs....
    [\QUOTE]

Is this the 150x card you bought neuronbob?
    How is the performance. Can you run VFSmark on it and post the results please?

Thanks,
    dennis
    For my money the formatting in DOS ---did not work. The 2 gb PQI card I bought ($125 incl shipping) from Ebay worked properly only when I formatted it in the Treo 600. Only then would the Treo "see" all of the 2gb. Prior to that, it said that the card had 2gb capacity but 1gb was used--even when the card was empty.

Things are great now, and the PQI 133x card does have a speed advantage that Treo recognizes. The programs load several times faster. It did not seem much faster in the card reader, but in use now it is blazing, eliminating most delays in programs loading for things like AvantGo, MobiPocket reader. I'm extremely pleased with it.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    The card arrived yesterday. First, I popped the card into my phone, but my phone wouldn't recognize it. Then I ran the command suggested in post #24 and now it works. Thanks mozilla.
    I just got my A Data 2 GB card and tried formatting it based on the procedure listed here. Half the SD card formatted ok. The other half was marked as bad. Any suggestions?

D:\>FORMAT I: /V:swieder2 /FS:FAT /X
    Insert new disk for drive I:
    and press ENTER when ready...
    The type of the file system is FAT.
    Verifying 1909M
    Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
    Format complete.

2,001,895,424 bytes total disk space.
    1,001,160,704 bytes in bad sectors.
    1,000,734,720 bytes available on disk.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
    30,540 allocation units available on disk.

16 bits in each FAT entry.

Volume Serial Number is 3869-B826

Update
    I tried a different card reader on another PC. The format took like 5 seconds and show 2G of good disk space.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Personally, my guess is that this idea that command line "DOS" formatting solves all ills with the A-DATA card is probably wishful thinking. I didn't have a chance to try it myself when I had the card, but I was having the same issues that you're having, and I think it has a lot more to do with your SD card reader than anything else.

Edit: Whoops, just read your update!
    That's pretty much what happened to me.

Try formatting in the TREO instead. Run the Card utility, pull down menu, format. That's what worked for me to resolve exactly that problem.
    Just wanted to report that my 2GB A-DATA card that I purchased for $99 works perfectly using the command line format process.

I will say that I got an I/O error when I tried to format the card using the SD reader built into my laptop but it worked perfectly when I formatted it using the SD reader that's built into my multi-function printer. Just a heads up in case anyone runs into an error formatting. It's probably due to the reader itself and not the card.
    My 2GB A-Data card has stopped working in my Treo 650. Lately I have been swapping cards between the 1GB and 2GB versions to listen to different MP3 files.

Today when I put in the 2GB card it is not found. The CardInfo app say "No Card inserted." The card is fine when plugged into my PC card reader. The 1GB card is fine in my Treo.

I tried a soft reset. Putting the 2 GB card in another Treo also came up with "No Card inserted."

Why would the card all of a sudden stop working in the Treo, but still work on my PC card reader? The 2GB card was initially formatted with FORMAT E: /V:MYCARD /FS:FAT /X

I will try reformatting and restoring the card tonight to see if that helps. I have a recent card backup on my home computer (thanks to BackupBuddy). Any other suggestions?
    I did find that ever since I upgraded to the new firmware (1.20) on my unlocked GSM Treo, I have been having intermittent issues with the Treo recognizing my Sandisk Ultra II. If I leave it in there long enough, it will eventually pick it up. Weird.
    How long are you talking about leaving the card in the SD slot for it to be found?

edit: I have tried the card in two other Treos that are running unmodified Cingular software. The card does not show up on those devices either
    Last edited by swieder; 01/26/2006 at 02:58 PM.
    Sounds like a different issue then ... for the record, I have to wait about 30 seconds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    How long are you talking about leaving the card in the SD slot for it to be found?

edit: I have tried the card in two other Treos that are running unmodified Cingular software. The card does not show up on those devices either
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I started having that problem with I went from 1.08 to 1.12 on Sprint. Turning it off and back on caused it to be recognized. This is with the Adata 2GB card.
    Here is the response that I got from A-Data. Not too helpful.

"According to the problem you mentioned, the Turbo SD card should be a working one since it works on other devices. Did you change any of the settings on Treo650? Perhaps you can check some of the discuss on the internet or ask the manufacturer of Treo 650 for a solution."
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast