Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Well I decided to take back the BB7100G and go for a treo from Cingular, the sales rep went into the back, got the handset gave me a new sim and I was off to the races, I just got home opened the box and noticed everything was sealed except the charger cable, which basically looks as if some one just rolled the cord up and looped the end through one of the loops to tie it off. Its not bagged or anything.

Is this normal? everything else is in plastic and the phone has all its plastic parts on it, but this concerns me. I purchased the handheld for full retail price since I am in a contral with them already, so I am trying to make sure I didnt just pay 550.00 for a phone that was taken out and returned already.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance..
    Would checking the Life Timer help? I believe it is #*786.
    If your gut feel say it may have been used, you may just simply want to return it.
    I would return it and get it replaced. Same thing happened tome as well when I got mine, sales guy said that they dont sell returned items, came home, charger was for a 600, everything else was sealed, took it back to another corporate store, sales guy there said it was definitely a return item and got me a new one.
    I agree with Ronbo. Check the timer.
    Sounds to me like a tekkie in the store needed an adapter for a demo or whatever so they just go to the box. I have witnessed this before. I mean, if everything else was SEALED.

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Would checking the Life Timer help? I believe it is #*786.
    If your gut feel say it may have been used, you may just simply want to return it.
    Okay, I'm showing my ignorance here, but when you put in the #*786 what do you do next and in what screen are you in when you put it in? I tried it in the phone mode and all it wanted to do was dial in. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I don't think the life timer is going to show anythign if the unit was reset.

If you are concerned, take it back for a replacement - you have a 14 day grace period and for the cost of the unit, you should be given a new, untampered one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    I don't think the life timer is going to show anythign if the unit was reset.

If you are concerned, take it back for a replacement - you have a 14 day grace period and for the cost of the unit, you should be given a new, untampered one.
    To my knowledge you CAN"T reset the life timer. But I agree with your advise as well.

..and for the other guy, yes you want to "dial" that code from the phone app. and let it "dial in" it should give you a result screen.

Thread Crapper

I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

Check the timer, get a new one and open the box while at the store to make sure it's a brand new device.

$550 for a branded Cingular 650 ?!!? I got my brand new unlocked and unbranded Treo 650 for $525!

Good luck and make sure you have the latest ROM installed.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    That's a hot topic with the Treo - the "Life" timer really only indicates life since the last hard reset.
    If I'm not mistaken, most "Boxes" have a seal on them as well.

Thread Crapper

To chekc your life timer, enter #*786# in the phone app. This will show you the life timer for calls and KB of data. My sprint version also shows the warranty date. I fyou scroll down to the second page, there should be a line item for Refurb. Status. That line should indicate "No", if your phone is indeed Brand new, most carriers will completely refurb their phones if they have been returned. Hope that hepls, but like stated earlier, if everything else was sealed, someone probably opened the box for the sole purpose of using the cable.
    BTW, I have also perfomed at least one hard reset and a zero out reset, and the life timer has been unaffected by these resets.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Cingular does not give you the same functionality - 2 lines of text

Life Timer (minutes): XXXX
    Software Rev: Treo650-1.15-CNG

There is also a tab at the top that is titled "RTN"

apparently, Sprint does something different. I thought we were talking about a Cingular 650 here.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies,

The life timer shows: 6mins
    with the 1.15 CNG (I updated last night)

Everything seems to be working for the most part, except when I tried to pair the phone to my cars BT it went insane till I shut the BT off. Questions " How do I delete a pairing?"...

Anyways I am going to go in the store and ask them to open a brand new box for me so I can see how the cord is wrapped, if its the same as mine was then fine, but if its not then I will ask them for a new handset, they were extremely inflexible with return policies since I am in a contract and already was testing a BB7100G, so since they were so unfriendly about the return policy if the phone had issues, I will give them the same amount courtesy

Thanks again all, I prey thisworks for me, so far its pretty damn cool, I cant stop toying around with all the features.

Ohh actually one last question, why do I notice my icons shifting around, one time the email app will be in one place, then an hour later its in another location, I cant tell while things are shifting around..

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by sfla_tc
    Thanks for all the replies,
    Ohh actually one last question, why do I notice my icons shifting around, one time the email app will be in one place, then an hour later its in another location, I cant tell while things are shifting around..

Cheers!
    Your icons can be programmed into catagories. Every time you hit the home button, it changes catagories.
    If you take some time, and read your manual, there is a wealth of info in there that can explain it all. Good Luck.

Thread Crapper

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Update:

Ok I went back to the Cingular store this evening and explained how I felt the phone was previously used and I was experiencing some oddities. The store rep amazed me and said " No prob, lets DOA this one and get you a new one from the back".. Amazing!

Well he came out with a brand new crispy 650, and as I suspected, the packaging was different than mine, I knew palm wouldnt tie a knot in the charger cable, to hold the wires together

Also what really suprised me is that the original unit they gave me came with 1.05 firmware on the unit which I had to upgrade to the most current 1.15, and the new unit had the 1.31/1.15 update already on the handset, so I am guessing this is a very new unit that must have recently come in.. I also did a lifetimer test and unit showed "0" mins on this one.

Its funny also, because the new units volumes/ring tones/alerts and settings are different than the previous handset I had for the day, ohh well, atleast all ended positive..

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers!
    Congrats.

Thread Crapper