Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I've had the exact same thing happen to me. I shipped and PO lost it. Took me 3 months to collect from PO. Paypal defers to PO for the claim. This is always a problem that can happen when buying or selling on Ebay. But you don't know how the seller or buyer gets the run around until it happens to you. I'd rather now buy from online stores like Buy.com. or sell items in a garage sale. You get the item most of the time shipped free at many online sites. If you don't receive it they just ship you another one. On Ebay, I got tired of sellers padding up the shipping charges to offset their Ebay fees. Ebay is riskier and more time consuming then it's worth IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia
    On Ebay, I got tired of sellers padding up the shipping charges to offset their Ebay fees. Ebay is riskier and more time consuming then it's worth IMO.
    I really think if the seller pads the S/H charge and profits from that charge, it really should not be your concern. When you commit to buy an item, you should have already done your homework and taken the whole cost in to consideration.

S/H charge + your winning bid + insurance fee (if any) = your total cost of the item you're buying.

In some circumstances, the seller is crooked and makes money from a high S/H charge by shipping you a defective product. You get the product and find that its defective, ask to return it, he agrees. He refunds the cost of the item less the S/H fee so you're out the S/H fee plus what it cost you to ship it back. He profits from the S/H fee because it didn't really cost him that much to ship it.

This is why buyers should really need to do their homework before bidding on an item on Ebay.

BTW, I really think Buy.com and the likes also makes some profit from their S/H handling charge.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Hard to make a profit on shipping when Buy.com and Amazon have the low price at times and many times show free shipping when item is greater than $25.

On Ebay sellers pad up shipping. This is a known complaint and Ebays rules say you can't do it but most do it anyway. If you've ever "sold" and item on Ebay or Amazon you'd see that a small item can be shipped by you by Priority mail including the U.S.Post office's box for around $4..55.
    Look at some of the auctions on Ebay and they show $9-12 or more for shipping. This is how they make up for a lowball price.

Good Luck

Paul
    I sell stuff on ebay regularly. I have my 650 (cingular) on there now (check the marketplace for link).
    There are some honest sellers out there but be careful of scammers. Always check feedback, I rarely buy stuff from sellers with less than 20 feedbacks (all good). I did get burned once on a used pda with a broken screen, but ebay refunded me 6 months later.
    Yes most pad shipping but others don't. Mine is usually set at $5-$15 for priority with insurance included on high dollar items.
    -Adrian
    Hi, again, I am the seller PFLY has spoken of. I have to wait 21 days to file Insurance Claim. I havde learned a valuable lesson myself, I am DONE with newbies on eBay. I am sure that this will ruin my 100% positive feedback b/c this guy is impatient and jumpy.

As far as shipping goes, I charged $10 + Insurance. It actually costs me around $9 plus I double boxed it and paid for packaging materials. I didnt over do it, I broke even.

I am not sure what else to say about this. I dont need to defend myself to everyone, I shipped the item PROMPTLY even sent a tracking number via delivery confirmation #, I have sent him proof of shipment. I just got the raw end of the deal to start with, a paranoid buyer, then a horrible PO disaster (out of my control), a lost package.

He said " I have done my part" well i can say the exact thing! I did my part, he should be the one filing I sent it and now its in the PO's hands! BUT i have tried to save my feedback rating along with having a satisfied buyer and I am busting my @$$ to fix this so he can stop emailing me. He is so jumpy, I get impulse emails from him, like "I want to back out of this now" well hell, so do I!

I am doing the best I can to remedy to a situation that was completely out of my control. I sent the phone and I have documented proof. I cant do much more, though I am trying.

I am very upset that this guy is posting this crock on here, he is not telling the details that would inturn label him a paranoid looney. View my 86 feedbacks, they dont lie. They are recent as well. I am traveling for work a lot so I am not listing items until mid-Sept or October when my conferences are through.

Anyway. He will get his money. Besides If i sent him a refund and the phone showed up in the next few days, do you think I would hear about it? NO! Thats why I am waiting! He will get the insurance claim money. Doesnt that make sense? We both lost out here.

I do have to mention that if I didnt get emails and phone calls from him 48 hours after the auction ended and I stated I was out of town (CA conference), then I might have been more willing to just refund him his money and wait for the claim. But he was jumpy and continued to contact me when I stated I would ship asap and so on... I just cant deal with that! I am done, done, done with newbies on eBay. When I am back up and running on eBay, I will block these newbies (sorry) but what a hassle!

GRRRRRRRRRRR.
    Last edited by butterfly_wings; 08/27/2005 at 04:10 PM.
    ive been through it too with buyers. ive had the post deliver to canada and the buyer claimed he never got it. i lost a 500 dollar lcd/dvd screen. ive also had them lose a very expensive package that ended up in their "lost mail" facility due to the shipping label having fallen off. its a nightmare trying to keep your feedback score @ 100% when you have no control over things.
    Seriously. I have tried so hard to maintain 100%, I have even lost $$ over it. I just didnt want to have to deal with some wack job attacking my character, I wanted to present 100% feedback so there is no room for doubt.

Seems almost comical. Everything I tried avoiding, I am suffering through. Crazed, Paranoid buyer, and PO losing my package... Ouch. What a combo.

I KNEW that when I listed it for so cheap I was going to get a wack job buyer, but I didnt "go with my gut" so now I am paying...

What else could one say huh? I feel just as screwed as he does.
    the buyer is not the one to blame. especially that he sent all the money promptly, that's something to be thankful about.

i don't see why a buyer would come here and post, unless what he said about not getting a prompt response from the seller is true.

i'm an ebay seller and i take extra care of my buyers, and i send and reply to their emails promptly.

but this time the situation seems to be out of the sellers control but generally in a similar situation the seller is still the one responsible for giving the buyer his money back as soon as possible. generally, if the seller refuses to do so, then he's just a bad seller.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    I see your point as far as Seller is Responsible. I have not denied my responsibility here. I have shipped the item and the PO has lost it (supposedly), I AM working my tail off to get the buyer his money back, but there is NO WAY I am going to send him money and be out the phone and money if the package shows up. My policy is about fairness and doing right by eachother. I have to wait and so does he. Fair, and simple enough.

I have spent more time on this than ANY other sale I have had. This is crazy talk.
    and if that does not work then ban him from ever using a Treo for life. We don't need trash like that soiling the good Treo name. This guy sounds like a complete nut job that is blaming an innocent seller for his insecurity and mental problems. If this seller has documentation of sending you the item, then shut the hell up, it's not their fault you *****, go log into usps.com and do your ranting there. I'm an ebay seller with over 300 feedback and I'll tell you, sometimes **** happens. All you can do is ship it and from there it's beyond your control. That's what insurance and delivery confirmation is all about.
    Maybe it's just me but the title of the previous post really bothered me. Some things are funny but some are just too close to what is happening these days to laugh about.

As far as this thread, being an eBay buyer and seller, I think it is a bad deal all the way around. The title of this thread says it all and I think both the buyer and seller did. I have had a few auctions where things didn't work out like they should. In those scenarios, you just need to have patience and work through the systems that are in place to remedy those types of situations. It stinks but at least in the end, everyone will get their money.
    Well Spoken, for sure. That is exactly what I am saying, I did my part, he did his part, the PO has failed and now we both have to sit and wait for the procedures to be completed so we can both be at peace. I am all about patience and doing right by my buyer, I wish all buyers would act the same way.
    sorry about the subject, ignorant people just bother me, in my opinion, the guy is very insecure as evidenced by his opening the topic here in the first place, it sounded like he was looking for support and re-assurance when he was obviously in the wrong.
    Well, there are a few lessons to be learned here...

1. Never buy a phone (esp.expensive ones) through ebay or any auctions. You just never know what you're gonna get - despite all the positive feed back in the world. But hey, if you want something cheap and willing to take the risk, then go for it.
    2. Never let a newbie bid on your item !
    3. Craigslist is the way to go. You see the item, you get the cash, deal done, no post office hassle, no lost item through shipping, no headaches, no feedbacks to worry about. The only problem is both buyer and seller has to live close enough, and that's why l love the bay area so much !
    Different person and different situation but don't trust that Paypal will get you your money back once the charge goes.

I had a $450 product purchased via Paypal from someone with 100+ positives in eBay. Product never showed up after charge went through. Disputed with Paypal who said "you're right but we tried to get your money back but couldn't. Sorry." Disputed with bank who gave me my money back (60 days later) and then Paypal promptly charged my secondary payment source for the same amount. This was actually a different card from the same bank and when I disputed this one, the bank said that I had to take it up with Paypal; they weren't going to refund me.

Long story short: Paypal is not an escrow service. They are paid only to transfer money from A to B. When that transaction is complete, they have done their job and will be able to talk your bank out of a reversal of this charge.

If you have serious doubts, then take steps to make sure that Paypal DOESN'T charge the card. Call the bank. Close the card. Empty the account. Any of the above may stop it before it goes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by kittiyut
    Well, there are a few lessons to be learned here...

1. Never buy a phone (esp.expensive ones) through ebay or any auctions. You just never know what you're gonna get - despite all the positive feed back in the world. But hey, if you want something cheap and willing to take the risk, then go for it.
    2. Never let a newbie bid on your item !
    3. Craigslist is the way to go. You see the item, you get the cash, deal done, no post office hassle, no lost item through shipping, no headaches, no feedbacks to worry about. The only problem is both buyer and seller has to live close enough, and that's why l love the bay area so much !
    That's funny, I didn't learn one of these lessons from this situation.
    The very first post in this thread links to my ebay experience. I too sell and buy a lot on ebay. I have over 115 feedback and 100% positive. Everyone there is not evil. Paypal is evil though. . . Fraudsters are evil too. . .

The seller in my auction eventually admitted she never had any Treos and was just trying to make a quick buck. Turns out she was just a child who somehow got access to someone else's account. That is the problem with ebay or any internet based store - you just have no way to know who you are dealing with. Usually it works out OK, but the few times there are problems really burn you.

For the record, I still buy and sell on eBay and (knock on wood) I have never lost money.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12