Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone getting this (A crash or a soft reset cause all preferences and reg codes to be lost) ?

Anyone know of any solutions ?
    Restore your SavedPreferences from backup.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by SANdood
    Restore your SavedPreferences from backup.
    What are you using for Backups...I have Resco, not sure I'm backing up the SavedPrefs correctly
    It's been posted a bunch of times but no one has narrowed it down the cause. It's happened to me at least three times since I got my 650. Thank god for back ups.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    It's been posted a bunch of times but no one has narrowed it down the cause. It's happened to me at least three times since I got my 650. Thank god for back ups.
    It's happening more often now - in fact today it happened three times alone - I lose like ten minutes a shot restoring this thing (hard reset sync) - but I probably could restore my saved prefs, if I could figure out how...?
    You need to use a third party back up program which runs on your SD card.

Back Up Buddy or Back up Man
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This is driving me crazy! I have hade my Treo 650 for nearly a year now and never had a problem. Then Last week it happened to me for the first time, I fortunatly had a back up. But now it happens every week sometimes every day, it has happened twice today already!

I am going insane with this.
  8.    #8  
    Ben,

The only advice I can give you to delete some unknown entries in your saved prefs - some people on other boards said they had "less" lost prefs...

For what it's worth...
    How do you edit the Saved Preferences file?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    How do you edit the Saved Preferences file?
    I use RescoExplorer - let's me go in and delete specific files in the Saved Preferences.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePimpDaddy
    I use RescoExplorer - let's me go in and delete specific files in the Saved Preferences.
    I opened up the saved preferences file in explorer but I have no idea what to delete, how to read it, or what to do.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenJoeM
    I opened up the saved preferences file in explorer but I have no idea what to delete, how to read it, or what to do.
    I scrolled down to the "unknown" prefs and deleted them - Resco has a pretty good user interface
    Hi, I too was consistently getting random (really random- sometimes I didn't do anything) multiple 3-6 soft resets a day losing preferences/passwords/etc... very very very annoying.

Now I have ONLY uninstalled Bulter 3.17(?) for 2 days and not a single soft reset has occured since. I will post more l8r as I put stuff back on my Treo 650.
  14. cng
    Okay, I am thinking that it is totally butlers fault because I did same and smooth sailing for today. Usually it does this once to three times everyday!
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cng
    Okay, I am thinking that it is totally butlers fault because I did same and smooth sailing for today. Usually it does this once to three times everyday!
    It is totally Butler''s fault. I gave up on it till they came out with an update. The newest version does not nuke your SP like the old ones. Kudos to them for getting it taken care of.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    It is totally Butler''s fault. I gave up on it till they came out with an update. The newest version does not nuke your SP like the old ones. Kudos to them for getting it taken care of.

It's happened to me and I don't use Butler!
    I talked about this issue in the Palmloyal Podcast #9. I am a Treo 650 user, so there is always some Treo related content. If you have not listened, you should.

Back it the problem. It is not one particular app that causes it but many. It would be great to know which apps are causing the meltdown;however, know and having a solution is better.

Because of this issue, I call Resco Backup, "The must have" app for the Treo 650.

I recommend RBackup because it allows you to create backup profiles. I have a Profile that backs up the Saved and Unsaved Preferences. When this issue occurs, I simply restore the Saved Pref Backup Profile and I am in business.

I've use many backup apps and on many different Palm OS handhelds. Currently RBackup is the best for Treo 650 owners.

I still have a couple of FREE copies of Resco Backup available. Just listen to the cast and follow the directions to be considered.

Now with that said. You can do this for free by using apps like Filez or FileProg to copy the SavedPreference file to the card; and copy it back after a failure.
    Last edited by godschoice; 09/17/2005 at 06:24 PM.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Yeah, this is the most annoying remaining problem on the T650 after most other problems have been fixed with previous ROM updates. Has anyone had the chance to report this to Palm? Do you they have a suggested fix?
    Folks, this issue has been under investigation by me and others on this forum for the past few weeks. To kill some rumors, it is NOT Butler's fault. With or without Butler, this has happened. What we've come up with is something related to the dbCache. I would recommend several things to fix this:

a) install dbCache tool and search the forums for how to set it up
    b) install RescoLocker, and lock all your apps that run in your background
    c) move as many apps as you can to your SD card, to free up space.

Try these things, and see what your results are. Since doing this, I've not lost my prefs in about two weeks. But, as always, invest some money in a good backup program, like BackupMan.
    haven't had it happen to me in months....
    but after i use mapopolis it will reset..
    so with the new mapopolis 2.32 out i thought all would be good
    wrong saved preferences gone.....
    happened twice now within 5 minutes of exiting...

seems i need to get this on the incompatible list!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast