Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. cng
    Yah it could be that there is more than one program doing this.
    If we make a list, it would be awesome. My list would be, Verichat, and Butler so far.
    I had the same problem with KoolSounds. Loaded it and then a little later preferences went. Unloaded it and no problems for many days. Loaded it again and the preferences kepts getting lost every now and then. Unloaded it and no problem for days. KoolSounds is now in the trash bin.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I don't have the personal bandwidth to handle this task, but it seems to me that the thing to do would be for everyone who has this problem to submit the list of apps that they're running. Compile the lists, and the culprits will become obvious. This is a really obnoxious problem that seriously needs to be addressed. The best solution would be an OS update that prevents it from happening, but that would require some action on palm's part - which we all know is a fat chance.
    I found out that "Unsaved Preferences" do not get saved (as implied by its name), but some of the programs I use stored data in Unsaved Preferences that would be useful or even necessary for proper operation of the program. (I'd lose this file on firmware upgrade, hard reset, crash, etc)

So I set the Backup Bit for the "Unsaved Preferences" database with SuperUtility. It gets synced everytime I do a hot sync. I've had the phone for quite a while now and haven't had any issues with backing up the "Unsaved Preferences" database.
  5. cng
    Like pattjin said. Back up just the saved and unsaved preferences and restore just that after the crash and you will get everything back. That is the best so far. However, I want to even just get rid of the crashes all together as you may need to wait a while and do a few resets along the way when you restore. I think Resco Lock does help in stablizing some applications and I am experiencing less crashes.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Discussions like these are the reason that palm products will never see widespread use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BleuTango
    Discussions like these are the reason that palm products will never see widespread use.
    Yeah, no one uses Palm products.
  8. cng
    Discussions like these are why people love Palm. Our community is strong and helpful. When we have a problem, we solve it. We openly discuss and resolve our problems. What is the point of hiding these problems? When people buy a Palm, they would experience it. We need to let people know that these problems are not unique to only them and that we are all working hard to find solutions.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I haven't needed to pay attention to the backup issues becasue my Treo 650 didn't have random resets.

But when my headset jack failed, I have had to reload preferences and registration #'s to a new Treo . To make matters even worse...I had just finished hours of reconfiguring the new Treo and did a Hot Sync including a "Backup" sychronization (which I don't usually do) and lost all the preferences and registration numbers I had just entered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say I never want to have to go through this agony again.

1. From this thread it looks like if I purchase Resco Backup, it will take care of the hassle for the future.
    ---- Is this true even if I keep a number of software applications-- like Splash ID, Snappermail, etc.-- on my SD card?

2. Can someone explain what the Hot Sync Backup function does? What is being backed up? .

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions about the best way to reload preferences and registration #'s when a number of applications are on the SD card.

Yours in preference hell.

JC
    I've been suffering with this problem for a long time. Maybe someone could write a program to automatically restore the Saved and Unsaved Preferences after a reset/crash. It wouldn't have to be too complicated; just copy the contents of a folder off the SD card to ram. There are other programs that will turn the phone back on after a reset, so I think it can be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roper
    I've been suffering with this problem for a long time. Maybe someone could write a program to automatically restore the Saved and Unsaved Preferences after a reset/crash. It wouldn't have to be too complicated; just copy the contents of a folder off the SD card to ram. There are other programs that will turn the phone back on after a reset, so I think it can be done.
    it would have to always update the copy also....that in it self could cause even more resets! if the file is open when another tries to read it=reset

what programs are you running on the treo?...not the sd card
    No, once you get the preferences like you want them, then save a copy to the SD card. This saved copy only needs to be reset if you change your preferences (e.g. add a new program with registration code, change the ringer, change the brightness of the LCD etc.). If the Treo resets, then after it boots, automatically copy the one from the SD card to ram. I agree you don't want to copy the file from SD to ram if the one in ram is being accessed, but there must be some way to lock it out while it is being changed.

As far as programs on the treo, I have quite a few. But this problem plagued most everyone that has more than the bare minimum of programs installed. This just seems like a simple work around that might work.
    It might be safest to do a warm reset after losing prefs and copy the file back over when nothing is running, then do another soft reset.

Honestly I've always just copied mine over 'mid stream' and never noticed any problems with it.
    Weird how this just started appearing. I've had several of them too, never used Butler, haven't added many apps except UDMH (which I suspect may be part of it).

BackupMan has saved my **** so many times over the past few years, here's another reason to thank the author...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Can someone help me understand how the saved preferences file gets saved? Is it through a hot sync that includes synchronizing the "Backup" files. And are registration #'s included in this file?

And what about the preferences and registration #'s for programs on the SD card.

For some reason not all my preferences or registration #'s are restored when I do a hot sync.

JC
    I still think it's Butler, I still use Butler but I turned off one or two features, I think it had to do with Alerts. But with switching that off the lost preference file stopped as well as the random reset.

So I'm not so sure you can rule out Butler as being part of the problem.

Other programs might be doing something similiar to Butler and that could be the reason it still happens to folks without Butler.

But maybe this can help narrow down the problem that the programmers can look into.

It's probably some kind of routine that a few programmers call and low and behold the reset and lost preference.

And your solution is a work around but it is not fixing the underlyning cause.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

After reading the entirety of this thread, perhaps the following may help others. Long, but details are vital here.... Side note: it still amazes me how many apps used for well over 4-5 years had to be dumped, once I moved to the 650.

I removed BackUpMan in favor of Resco Backup, which allows much more flexibility. I now have a "SavedPrefs" backup set, in addition to an ALL set and CORE set. The CORE set was made once, after a clean install of my major apps. The SavedPrefs file set auto-backups the savedPrefs file (only!) every 8 hours. It's set to keep 30 copies. I chose that number so I could compare the size of the savedPrefs file over a period of a month. I started noticing-- the savedprefs file grew from about 20kb to in excess of 60kb, and that's when all he-- would break loose.

Among the background apps then installed:
    ------------------------------ Butler
    -- Chatter
    ------------------------------ ClipPro
    ------------------------------ Genius
    ------------------------------ KoolSounds
    -- MobileWrite
    -- MegaTops TxtMemo
    ------------------------------ pTunes*
    -- RingoPro (v4.42)
    ------------------------------ TreoGuard
    -- VolumeCare
    ------------------------------ ZLauncher

Resco Explorer empowered me to keep an eye on the internal aspects of the SavedPrefs file. I learned that Genius, alone, added 20kb to the size of the SP file. I've never seen an error message pinpointing Genius, but instinct told me that no app had any business virtually doubling that critical file's size. Just about all other apps within savedPrefs do NOT exceed 1 kb. So, I tossed Genius.

Next to go were Butler and ClipPro. Once those two were history, I never again experienced clobbered savedprefs.

I then focused on Zlauncher, since it liked to loose its categories from time to time. By this time, my 3-5 times daily resets had dwindled to an every other day basis. I replaced it with HiLauncher.

Lingering stability hassles caused me to uninstall KoolSounds. I instead imported 3 wav files into my ringtones. Since the removal of KoolSounds and Butler killed the need for ptunes to be always available in the background, I moved ptunes to the SD card, with PowerRun. (Had that one for years, but it had been replaced with ZLauncher). pTunes' freed space made perfect room for those wav files imported into Sounds Manager.

TreoGuard was replaced with Phone Technician.

My system has remained completely stable ever since. Read: no resets, for over a month!

Personal opinion/conclusion: I was wrong to rely exclusively on the app pinpointed in error messages. The ones I removed rarely, if ever, showed up in those messages, whether I dialed for the error code (#*377) or checked CrashPro's log. I stubbornly kept Butler around (minimum options: Exchange Manager, Alert Manager) for the "cleaning" aspect, but it finally dawned on me that it never notified me of a dang thing as regards keeping the Exchange Manager clean. Once ClipPro & Butler were removed, there were still resets, but at least prefs still worked as expected across the device.

Trial and error eventually led me to the remaining apps noted above (far right), which I then removed. My savedPrefs file is now at 27kb, and ever since, it's been paradise.

I know there are many folks using the apps I removed, without penalty. I'm genuinely happy for them. But keeping an eye on the overall size of the savedprefs file led me to Genius. Removing one app at a time thereafter, and checking for stability for the next day or so, ultimately led me to the apps noted above. I did use RLock ( do NOT use it on MobileWrite, which locks itself), but nothing gave the relief desired, consistently, until the noted apps were completely removed.

FWIW, I use RemoveIt to uninstall. I have tried Uninstall Manager a few times over the years, but it fails to remove EVERYthing. On the 600 and before, I relied on StacWorks' InWatch. But that app hates the 650, and after studying uninstall apps, I happily grabbed RemoveIt. I especially appreciate its "disable" option, so I can always uninstall without killing my 650 system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roper
    Someone already did! None of you guys use PrefDoctor? I couldn't even think of running my Treo without it.

A couple of times my Treo crashed, reset and my prefs were gone and this progam bumps in while you're booting to tell you that and asks you to restore your prefs. One click later and it's like nothing has happened and you're back to normal. You don't even have to remember to "backup" using RBackup as this will notice any changes and save 'em (he's going to incorporate a manual save of prefs in the next release)

Also, I recommend running YAHM's 'syncbeforereset' hack which might help too.

Update: Here is the .prc to download. It's in beta and free for now.
    Anybody else is using the PrefDoctor? I wanna know this sw is stable and really useful for treo 650.
    Treo 90>>>Clie T615>>>ppc viewsonic V36>>>UX50+128MB+TH55>>>SE P900>>>Treo650+256mb+512mbSD>>>Cingular 8525+1gb>>>Current Palm Centro+2gb & AT&T Tilt+2gb
    I've been using it since the day it was released (mid-Nov 05) and haven't had a lost prefs reset since.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast