1.    #1  
    Hey I'm looking for a good (hopefully free) program that will clean up my palm. From numerous application installs/uninstalls/reinstalls/backups/restores/crashes/resets/ etc. it seems like I may have some junk sitting around on there that I don't need.
    I got a program called cleandata but Im afraid to trust it. I use card launcher and I'm wondering if applications launched from card no longer retain their DB associations on the plam internal memory. You follow?
    Does anyone have experience using this particular program or another one that works well? Does using the application delete supposedly clean up the DBs also?

any help apprciated, thanks!

I also saw someone mention defragmenting. Is that really necessary, and what tool would I use? That doen't even make sense if you think about it...
    you should try <uninstall >which does what i think you're askin for...you delete ophan/ghost files, as well as stray 'a68k' files as well, it's shareware so you can use it but eventually it will take longer and longer to load untill you register it....if you want freeware minus some of the extra options you can use <destaller> which does this as well, but i like uninstall because you can isolate programs that you just installed on you treo via hotsync so if you try something and dont like it, it's easier to delete everything at once...hope this is what you're lookin for..!!
    Try Northglide's Cleanup
    I use both cleanup and uninstall. THey are complimentary for finding those leftover files.
    I have Uninstall Manager but didn't know about the companion program called Cleanup. Thanks guys for the info.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

deinstaller is a nice freeware too. Checkout mytreo.net for the download link...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Can any of these utilities be used by people who don't really know which files are safe to be deleted? Do you have to know the programs really well in order to use these?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    deinstaller is a nice freeware too. Checkout mytreo.net for the download link...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Good question naftalim. I've been trying these programs, reading the instructions but yet I'm still kinda afraid to delete them. Help anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by h_A_Z
    Good question naftalim. I've been trying these programs, reading the instructions but yet I'm still kinda afraid to delete them. Help anyone?
    After deleting an app and it's associated files (I just use ZLauncher to automatically do this and it works pretty well), immediately go into Cleanup after uninstalling. That way you have a better idea that any leftovers were associated with that recently deleted application. If you delete those files with Cleanup, you have the option to back them up to the SD card so that you can easily retrieve them if you indeed end up needing them after all.
    Cleanup has a signature file you load with it, that tells you what program created what file, and the files are color coded to show if they were monitered etc. Cleanup is a excellent tool to go along with Unistaller
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Is it worth to hard reset my treo and install uninstal manager and cleanup before installing any applications?
    Is it worth to hard reset my treo and install uninstal manager and cleanup before installing any applications?
    That has often been recommended as the best approach. That way UM can catch everything from the get-go.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Dang... I'm so lazy to reinstall everything... oh well... How do I still keep the settings I've set to any particular programs? I'm quite new in this. Sorry...
    Quote Originally Posted by naftalim
    Can any of these utilities be used by people who don't really know which files are safe to be deleted? Do you have to know the programs really well in order to use these?

Thanks,

The best way as alluded above is to do a hard reset and clean install with Uninstall Manager as the fisrt app installed so it can track all the apps on the Treo...

Otherwise, Cleanup is the other best option b/c it lets you search the appropiate app for each file...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Dang... I'm so lazy to reinstall everything... oh well... How do I still keep the settings I've set to any particular programs? I'm quite new in this. Sorry...
    I had to do a hard reset just yesterday and restoring settings for certain programs was not a problem, for others I had to start from scratch.

Some apps (.prc files) have associated .pdb files that store settings and data associated with the app. The filenames for the .pdb files are often similar to the .prc name for the app, and are oftentimes descriptive (e.g., appname_preferences.pdb). Sometimes it won't be so obvious so it may be best to just reconfigure your settings for some apps instead of taking a guess and restoring unncessary/unwanted junk that has nothing to do with the app, which would put you right back in the same situation as before.

So the bottom line is that there is no foolproof way to restore all your settings for all apps, but by eyeing some of the .pdb files you should be able to rescue some of your preferences back to the Treo.