1.    #1  
    Folks, I have unlocked GSM 650 with 1.28/1.13ROW. On the plan I have - I get free 20min calls between 8pm -midnight with callers on the same network. So what you say... well I grabbed my wife's phone & tested a few things out.

Contrary to pg.44 of the users guide, hitting any key (except Phone or Power/end) does not silence the ringer on an incoming call. Hitting the Volume keys does not silence the ringing. This has been noted elsewhere in threads. However after some trial & error I found out that 2 keys actually DO silence the ringer & they are Calendar & the Messaging key. Pressing either one leaves your phone silent, but your caller still hearing ringing tone. Turning the hardware switch obviously works as per the book - but will you remember to turn it on again by the time it's supposed to ring for your next meeting!

Also I tested what would happen when you receive a call in the middle of a hotsync. Beyond - the caller get diverted straight through to voicemail after the first ring. That may be in the book but I haven't got that far?

Anybody else have something they want to, or have tested out..?
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Those buttons dont work on mine...just silence for a sec then it starts to ring again.

Mine was a cingular locked running 1.31/1.13 ROW version
  3.    #3  
    Are you using some kind of MP3 ringer? In my test it was stock standard MIDI ring tone.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Those buttons dont work on mine...just silence for a sec then it starts to ring again.

Mine was a cingular locked running 1.31/1.13 ROW version

I think there may be other software involved on yours here Rob. I experienced the same thing you did, I think...

With the original Cingular firmware the volume buttons worked to silence the ringer. When I upgraded to the unlocked GSM firmware (first 1.21, then 1.23, then 1.28) the volume buttons no longer silenced the ringer. Then I upgraded to Cingular 1.31 and the volume and calendar/messaging buttons once again silence the ringer for me.

Brett
    I too am using an unlocked Cingular 650 (running 1.28/1.13-ROW) and have confirmed that only the calendar or message button silences the ringer. Thank you David Sydney for revealing this fact (until I read your post I too was confused by p. 44 in the User Guide and didn't think that any button silenced the ringer except for the ringer switch)!

However I would prefer to use the volume button to silence the ringer (so I don't have to take the phone out of its pouch), but have two questions about BrettS's post:
    1) How do you upgrade the firmware to 1.31 (I couldn't see anything on the Palm website about this - only the 1.13-ROW software upgrade)?
    2) Will I have a problem using my phone with T-Mobile if I upgrade the firmware to 1.31 (which appears to be a Cingular upgrade)?

Thanks!