1.    #1  
    I bought my phone in March, and right off the bat it had the P key problem. I dont really mind it, because the key works fine, but shortly after my Z/* key stopped working. I have to push it kind of sideways to get it to register.

My phone has some wear and tear, scuffs and such...normal phone wear. I took the phone to Sprint and they told me it the keys were messed up because I must have dropped it, which I havent. They are just assuming that because the phone is not in mint condition.

What can I do to get a new phone without having to deal with these dumb Sprint people at the local store?
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinlow
    I bought my phone in March, and right off the bat it had the P key problem. I dont really mind it, because the key works fine, but shortly after my Z/* key stopped working. I have to push it kind of sideways to get it to register.

My phone has some wear and tear, scuffs and such...normal phone wear. I took the phone to Sprint and they told me it the keys were messed up because I must have dropped it, which I havent. They are just assuming that because the phone is not in mint condition.

What can I do to get a new phone without having to deal with these dumb Sprint people at the local store?

If you want a NEW replacement (one that actually works the way it should) go to Comp USA or any retailer that sells Sprint/Treo phones, and pay full boat price. You'll be happier with the phone and probably won't regret it.

If you don't care about getting a properly working phone, try to wear down the "dumb Sprint people" and have them give you a refurbished, previously owned or used one from the Sprint store.

If you want to try to replace it using Lockline insurance, be prepared to pay a deductable fee and expect a refurbished, previously owned or used one sent to you. Unless you can convince Lockline that the phone was lost or stolen. Which maybe a little difficult since you already had the phone at a Sprint store, which is probably already entered into the computer with the defects.

Chuck
    Go to another sprint store. Be nice but firm...communicate clearly and escalate it to the manager if you don't get the answer you want.

You shouldn't have to put up with phone especially if you haven't done anything (i.e. dropped it). Regardless, I wouldn't do anything fraudulent.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    If you want a NEW replacement (one that actually works the way it should) go to Comp USA or any retailer that sells Sprint/Treo phones, and pay full boat price. You'll be happier with the phone and probably won't regret it.
    I already did that...its the one I bought and paid $600 for and had a faulty P key right from the start.

If you don't care about getting a properly working phone, try to wear down the "dumb Sprint people" and have them give you a refurbished, previously owned or used one from the Sprint store.
    Thats not really an issue, my phone is used. As long as it works, I dont care. Its better than what I have now.

Also, now my speakerphone sounds like crap. Very tinny sounding and it crackles. I think all my problems qualify for a warranty replacement.
    If you bought it from an authorized retailer, then they don't have a choice but to warranty it if it shows legitimate signs of failure. If Sprint won't cooperate, then try calling Palm...I don't know if they can push Sprint or not, but I guess it's worth a try.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Ahhhhhhhh.... I'm so glad I bought mine at Costco....
  7.    #7  
    Anybody know where I can get a new battery cover? If i replaced that the phone would look better cosmetically.
    you might check ebay for one of the display models, although the battery covers on those might be screwed up if the store had it anchored/tethered to the display. Also might check ebay for one of the non-functioning treos? there are a few ebayers who sell treos with non-functioning touchscreens, cracked displays, etc.
  9.    #9  
    So I went back to the Sprint store and in a firm (but nice) way I told the rep that my phone is giving me problems and I would like a replacement since the phone is still under the standard 1 year warranty.

The guy told me that I must bring the phone to a store that has technicans and I told him that I already did that and they were giving me the runaround when I went there. Then he kept telling me to make a claim with the insurance which I told him I wasnt paying $50 for a replacement phone that I havent lost or damaged. He also said that they dont just give replacements and it has to go thru the sprint tech so they can declare the phone has a problem which would fall under manufacturer's warranty.

So basically whats going to happen is that I am going to drive all the way back to the first sprint store and get the shaft again. The P key issue is not a result of misuse, its a Palm glitch which many of the users on here have experienced. The speakerphone crackling is not from any misuse either. How is everybody here getting 2, 3, 4 replacement phones and I am getting screwed@!!
    I had the sticking P problem and called *2 and they told me to take the phone to my local Sprint store for a replacement. I went to the store (30 min. drive) in the evening and the sales guy confirmed my problem but told me a tech would have to look at it before they could replace. The tech only works 9~5. I explained that I work during that time and wasn't going to take time off but they wouldn't replace without tech approval.
    I called *2 again and firmly explained my experience to the rep, he says "I got good news and bad news". I can send you a new replacement but I need to charge your credit card until you send us the defective phone back. I agreed and I had my new (not refurb) phone in 2 days plus a UPS mailer to send back original phone. Credit process took 10 days to show up on my credit card and I'm happy. Good luck!
    Blzinlow,

The way I did it was to find a store with a tech. and a cool manager. In a nice but firm way I explained my issue and they told me the sprint policy is that a tech has to test it twice and declare it as broken twice??? This must be noted on your account.
    On the second visit, I picked a friday and a saturday so I could do this in one weekend, they said they will order a referbished phone. It came in 3 days and I never had any issue with the new phone since March.

If you can't find a good store, I would call customer care and have them explain how they could possibly allow their customer to use a phone with non-functional keys, they two offered me a phone swap, but I went to the store, cause it was faster!!!
    Hope that helps.
    After all the build issues (and subsequent replacements) with the 600, I'm amazed I've made it a whole 4 months or so with the same Treo 650 without any major problems (other than the da#n RAM being insufficient).

From my vast experience dealing with Sprint, here are some suggestions. (I am assuming that this issue was a build issue from the start, and you really didn't drop it). You had best DOCUMENT names, numbers, times and dates and what went on - if you don't, Sprint will treat you like an imaginative looney when you honestly tell them what their "service" people have told you and put you through. In fact, you may begin to doubt your own sanity for spending hours and hours and hours begging all sorts of Sprint or Palm employees to fix a simple warranty defect.

1) Easiest: If you notice a problem with your phone right away, immediately return it for a replacement. After 14 days you have less leverage and they know it.

2) If you bought it with a credit card that has return protection - consider using it.

3) Visit a Sprint CORPORATE store (other stores may have the logos but are actually franchises), be nice yet firm and clear: insist that the issue you are having affects the phone's usability and you need them to fix it. Bring in supporting documentation from the web if others received hardware with the same problem. Ask and discuss clearly with the tech and/or manager if the initial rep gets you nowhere.

4) Call Palm Corporate Escalation (847-493-7256 or 408-503-7000) and have a discussion with them about your phone's issues. Sprint is supposed to support the Treo, but if they don't support it properly you are certainly entitled to escalate it to the company that built it (poorly).

5) TRY dealing with the Sprint "duck pond" phone customer service. Historically they've been next to useless, mainly because Sprint Corporate gave them little leeway to do anything. They have a "special" technical support department for Treo phones, but you need to get past the level 1 people to at least a level 2 before you can start a serious discussion with them about it (you will have to endure telling your "P" button story a few times, and HOPE the connection doesn't die and require going through the whole explanation over and over again - even though they have your phone number...).

6) If all else fails, call the REAL Sprint Corporate in Kansas City, and get to THEIR Executive Escalation department (the number is pretty easy to google out - and keep calling the operator until they get you to the right internal department). IF you have documented the complete runaround that all the "proper" channels have put you through, THEN they "might" take you seriously and get you a working phone. Maybe even toss a $20.00 credit to you for your hours of driving around, phone calls, and waiting in their stores - buy yourself a ringtone or something.

I've usually found the Sprint Corporate stores to be able to resolve issues when I stick to my guns. However, Sprint has it rigged so even the Sprint Corporate stores can only go so far to correct something even when it is completely obvious to them that you are being fu#ked over.

My favorite last experience was being threatened out of the blue with loss of service on all of my Sprint phone lines within 9 hours unless I coughed up nearly $2000.00 that I did not owe them. Spent a couple hours after work in the Corporate store that night, they could see that I was completely up to date on payments, but even the Sprint employees were being di#ked around by the Jamaican collection department that Sprint uses (pray to god you never have to play rope-a-dope with those idiots - they do not understand the english words "I do not owe this money - this is a mistake, how do we get it corrected?"). And, even the Sprint employees were "accidentally disconnected" by their fellow co-workers at the call center - Sprint rigged it so they have to deal with the same duck pond that customers have to - and the phone support is usually just as dumb as a stick to them, too.

So don't be too angry at the store employees, Sprint has pretty well castrated them so they can't do a hell of a lot for you. But sometimes they can, and if not you have some other ideas above.
    Last edited by Joad; 08/20/2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    My Sprint 650's keyboard was replaced on the spot because of the p issue. They were aware of it and said the keyboard was redesigned. This was in June 2005.

My new keyboard's p button has a very firm click to it (and all for that matter).

Just ask for a new keyboard. They will not give you a brand new unit just because the p key doesn't click. I think replacing the keyboard is fair.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 08/20/2005 at 02:13 PM.
    If you paid with a credit card you are protected. You can call and dispute the charge if you feel you were treated unfairly (ie the phone doesn't work right from the start). You should have the money same day and can just go buy a new treo. use the old one as a paperweight, or donate it to shadowmite.

The credit card company will want to know that you tried working it out directly with the retailer first. Also, there is no garauntee that the phone company won't just rebioll you for the phone - but if you bought it from a third party you should be okay.