1.    #1  
    Hey
    I didn't think I could do it with my 600 but now I've a 650 and I'm wondering if this is possible with the hotsync cable.
    I have sprint with unlimited vision. I know you can't go using up TONS of bandwidth, but I just want to do some light surfing + email.
    Any help?

I'm going to airborne school tomorrow (army) and wanna kno if I should take the lappy
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    The cure for boredom. Talk anything.
    Only because you're Airborne, do I not mercilessly rip you.

If you want to use your cable (or BT)
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php

You may also want to do a search here for "DUN bluetooth"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Ah, "DUN" is what it's called?
    Sorry, I would've done a little bit of searching but I was waiting for my girlfriend's tires to be changed and I was browsin' from the waiting area.

Thanks a lot man!
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
  4.    #4  
    Any free apps for DUN?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    I use my Treo 650 with DUN (dial-up networking) and with PDANet (from junefabrics.com)with my laptop. Both work well either with Bluetooth or the USB cable. I started with PDANet because my ATT WS phone didn't have DUN enabled and the hacks I tried were unstable. I recently upgraded the firmware in the phone and DUN became available. Either way I get around a 57kb/s connection and can surf the net and send/receive e-mails.

I don't know what you need for the Sprint phones, but there is a manual for setting up DUN in the Palmone web site (can't remeber exactly where but I have the pdf if you need it.

PDANet just worked after I installed it. I did have an issue connecting with the USB cable, but it turned out that it was caused by an aftermarket cable that also charged the phone from the USB port. I suspect the port on my laptop may have been stressed by doing this since the phone probably draws quite a bit of power. Once I switched back to the PalmOne cable everything worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Only because you're Airborne, do I not mercilessly rip you.
    Since purchasing my 650 and reading this board, I think this is a first!
  7.    #7  
    So DUN is completely different than PDAnet?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    Well, the result is the same. PDANet costs money, DUN is free.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    So DUN is completely different than PDAnet?
    Well, PDANet is using DUN (Dial Up Networking.) However, usually when people mention "DUN", it's using your Treo's BT to connect to a laptop, with no wires or third party program (other than maybe the bt_manager hack, if needed.)

Hope that explains it a bit better.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  10.    #10  
    Okay I downloaded PDAnet because I couldn't figure out how to use DUN. How long does the free trial last for PDAnet?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    I have a dell inspiron 600m that did not come with built in bluetooth. I bought a bluetooth adapter on ebay for 5 dollars and connected the treo 650 via bluetooth. The connection is around 2x the speed of a 56k modem. Be very careful about abusing the so called unlimited bandwidth. I have heard horror stories from people with bills over 600 dollars because they were charged for extra bandwidth. I wish they would warn you first or terminate your vision instead of charging all that money.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah I heard the same stuff.... But 'bout this PDAnet, how long do I have before I have to register/buy it?
    dailyOFFTOPIC.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Un4given
    Yeah I heard the same stuff.... But 'bout this PDAnet, how long do I have before I have to register/buy it?
    14 days
    PDA Net takes care of all configuration by itself. With DUN, there are a few things you need to do in your computer to set things up, and some of the setup varies with the network (Cingular, Sprint, Verison, etc.). With PDANet you just install it and go.

Some phones had DUN disabled (my original ATTWS phone did) and although there were some hacks, the ones I tried were not quite stable on my phone. Thus PDANet provided a quick and reliable way to connect. The latest Cingular firmware update enabled DUN, but not everyone is willing/able to go through the update process. If you can get DUN to work properly and have all the details for your network then you can save yourself some money. Otherwise PDANet is a good alternative. I only recently upgraded my phone. I have DUN working but I haven't decided yet whether to dump PDANet or not. In DUN mode I cannot get calls or transfer other data. I'm not sure how PDANet handles that situation.
    I suppose it's only because the guy is military that you're being so nice and actually explaining something that's already in a previous thread.

This was the VERY problem I had - I didn't know what DUN was, so I had no idea that's what I should have been searching under.

And, by the way - more on topic - I think PDANet is worth every penny. I've YET to get the BT DUN to work with my Acer laptop...
    I hate to be redundant, so please accept my apologies' in advance. Can someone please explain to me simply And clearly how to use PDA net to access the internet.My tablet PC has built in blue tooth, and I am using a Treo 650.
    Thanks
    bbbracki