1.    #1  
    Does anyone else's 650 shut the phone down for no apparent reason? It can be sitting on a desk or in my pocket...I can be looking up a calendar entry or a contact and I get that annoying chime and that moronic Cingular icon saying goodbye. There just doesn't seem to be a consistant cause that I can identify. I want to blame it on the Palm OS, but the device itself doesn't shut off...just the phone.
    better to check their customer service, do not assume.
    a. make sure you have the most recent updates
    b. check to make sure your not running any crappy software
    c. On mine, after a crash I can dial #*377 and hit dial and it will tell me what software caused the crash. (Check exact code for your phone?)
    d. Get a program called radio control that will make sure your phone gets turned back on after a crash
    e. Make sure the SIM card (if you have one) is making good contact. I put a small piece of paper behind mine to make it a tighter fit and a lot of people have reported this has solved crashing issues.
    f. make sure you have a decent amount of free space on your internal memory.
    g. there are some memory management problems (supposedly fixed in most recent update). There is a program called dbcache tool that will make sure that closed programs are not still filling up the memory.
    h. Throw away Zap 2000! Even though it claims to be the most stable palm platform game, I found my 650 crashed a while after playing it for no apparent reason, but #*377 always showed ZAP as the cause.

I have come to find these things help my palm to be reasonably stable. You can also download a stability test (theres on on www.opensourcepalm.com or palmopensource.com or whatever) - but I dont know how much good they do.

I think crashing is usually due to a poorly written app - so find out which one it is (#*377 again) and eliminate it to solve the problem.
    He is not talking about a crash, he is stating that his phone shuts off...
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    e. Make sure the SIM card (if you have one) is making good contact. I put a small piece of paper behind mine to make it a tighter fit
    This is most likely the problem. I haven't experienced the problem, but people have said that if you call tech support they will send you a new SIM tray that will fix the problem.

Brett
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the tip on the piece of paper behind the SIM. I'm giving that a try and will watch for future shut downs. I spoke to a techie at Cingular who said Palm recomends a business card thickness piece and if it solves the problem, only then will they send a new tray.
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen
    Thanks for the tip on the piece of paper behind the SIM. I'm giving that a try and will watch for future shut downs. I spoke to a techie at Cingular who said Palm recomends a business card thickness piece and if it solves the problem, only then will they send a new tray.
    Like I said before, this is almost certainly your problem. Just for fun, sometime when you're using your palm pull our your SIM and see what happens. Most likely you'll get the Cingular goodbye and the phone part will shut off. This is what's happening... your SIM loses contact and the phone part shuts off.

Brett
    Welcome to life with the treo. The treo sometimes has a mind of its own. It may do weird things from time to time. I have come to accept this. I have had my treo replaced twice and hard reset 3 times. If it continues I would just have it replaced
  9.    #9  
    I'm on my fourth Treo so far. This shut off problem is the least trouble I've had. I don't even want to think about replacing it again.
  10.    #10  
    Just a quick update for anyone who might be interested in this malfunction. Since I put that small piece of a business card behind the SIM, the phone hasn't shut off again. I guess it was just poor contact...thanks again for the advice.
    Well, what about those of us that have Verizon(that doesn't use a SIM card) and still have that problem? and my calender and contacts will not sync anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
    Does anyone else's 650 shut the phone down for no apparent reason? It can be sitting on a desk or in my pocket...I can be looking up a calendar entry or a contact and I get that annoying chime and that moronic Cingular icon saying goodbye. There just doesn't seem to be a consistant cause that I can identify. I want to blame it on the Palm OS, but the device itself doesn't shut off...just the phone.
    Contact Palm for a SIM Tray Replacement. I did and the phone no longer shuts off.
    To obtain a new SIM tray
    If you've determined that the old-style SIM tray is causing your smartphone's radio to turn off unexpectedly, please contact Palm's SIM tray hotline at 866-677-7256. We will mail you a new-style SIM tray to replace your old one.

here is the link http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I have a similar problem w/ my Sprint 700p. I never get a random shutoff as long as I am actively doing something. Sometimes it never wakes up after I lock it. There seems to be some correlation when I go out of range of a signal (i.e. the subway) or if I leave an application running, especially Blazer. I never get anything from ##377. I've tried putting paper between the battery and back panel but that didn't help.