Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Does chatter actually check AOL for new mail, store it on a Chatter Server, then sends it to the chatter program on my Treo? If so, is there a yearly fee for the server? E-mail is vital to me, if this is a server I want to make sure that it isnt someones personal server in their apartment. How reliable is this thing? Thanks in advance.
    Chatter is like any other email client. It retrieves (or recieves if you will, via push) email off your mail server.

There is a Chattermail email service that you can pay for, which provides push, but this is just an email server, and has nothing to do with the program itself. You do not need chattermails email server to use Chatter.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    How does the chatter program work? Does it check the e-mail? If so, the Treo can already do that... right? I guess Im just trying to figure out how a program, installed on a device can "push" mail to that very device.
    Chatter is connected to your IMAP server. Therefore you need an IDLE capable server.

Because of this, your treo is "CONNECTED" to your server. So when a new mail comes in, you get notification. -simple logic.
    Quote Originally Posted by yzev
    How does the chatter program work? Does it check the e-mail? If so, the Treo can already do that... right? I guess Im just trying to figure out how a program, installed on a device can "push" mail to that very device.
    I suggest doing a little of your own homework

Chatter is the best.

their are WORLDS of information on chatter in this forum. take a half hour and read through some threads.

Informed questions get better responses (IQGBR)