1.    #1  
    Looking to make the plunge into the BT GPS world with my T650 and was wondering if TomTom or others supply waterway maps for boating. Also, if anyone had experience using BT GPS with their 650 on the water.

Thanks in advance...
    Yes, you will need outdoor navigator, made by Maptech, https://outdoornavigator.maptech.com/outdoornavigator. You can load in marine maps and/or land geo maps for cross country hiking. I have Cape Cod marine maps on my treo 650 and use a globalsat BT- 338 GPS unit.
  3.    #3  
    Noticed today Outdoor Navigator is no longer available for purchase. Are there any other options compatible with a BT receiver? I like the looks of FUGAWI, but it looks like it only supports serial or USB cable.
  4. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Still looking.
    Have you tried Pathaway: www.pathaway.com? I've got it working very impressively on my Treo 650, also working with a Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS. You can use maps in a number of formats. A number of the demo maps on their site and basic install are marine charts, so it ought to work.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssniptest
    Have you tried Pathaway: www.pathaway.com? I've got it working very impressively on my Treo 650, also working with a Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS. You can use maps in a number of formats. A number of the demo maps on their site and basic install are marine charts, so it ought to work.
    How is the map detail?
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    How is the map detail?
    Here's a screenshot - a UK 1:25,000 sample electronic map (not from Pathaway). [Edited: Now that I've posted the .jpg here, it doesn't really do justice to the sharpness of the image on the Treo]. Level of detail depends on the source map: you can can customise number of colours etc. If you can scan in paper maps, there's quite a variation in resolution. Have a look at the web-site and you can get a trial licence which allows you to add maps, but not navigate properly.

The labels round the edge can be customised to show heading, speed, etc.

Sorry it's taken a while to reply - I had to work out how to reply with a quote, and how to do a screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ssniptest; 06/09/2006 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Add clarification having seen posted .jpg
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I looked at both of these but neither are US orientated. Anybody know where I could get maps. I going to do a search about Pathaway.
    The Garmin GPS 10 unit had some options for Marine stuff. You might want to call Garmin to confirm, though.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    The Garmin GPS 10 unit had some options for Marine stuff. You might want to call Garmin to confirm, though.
    Thank you.