Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    just got treo 650/verizon, lots of voice minutes

    i want to check my email from the road using voice minutes, not through web or data minutes(which i don't want to pay for)

    what is the best way/software process to do this...
    how much airtime does it take to download a small text email??

    do i download the messages and check them off line or do i have to be connected while reading them???

    please be kind...
  2. #2  
    Didn't think downloading data with minutes was possible. . . . .

    Cheers, Perry.
  3. #3  
    Never heard of a way.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by markmark
    just got treo 650/verizon, lots of voice minutes

    i want to check my email from the road using voice minutes, not through web or data minutes(which i don't want to pay for)

    what is the best way/software process to do this...
    how much airtime does it take to download a small text email??

    do i download the messages and check them off line or do i have to be connected while reading them???

    please be kind...
    Seriously, you should really reconsider owning a Treo if you don't want to pay for data. It's a bit pointless as pointed out by your question. You want to download data without using the data functionality?

    You can install Eudora'a Palm email client which will sync your inbox to your Palm on sync. Last I checked it was free.

    But seriously, without data the Treo is almost crippled.
  5. #5  
    OMG!!! I actually agree with daclu!

    I feel my hair turning four shades lighter
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. #6  
    You can do this ( I do) by just dialing-up your ISP telephone access number using the "Wireless Dial-up" setting. Set it up as you would a normal modem. Small text-only emails are pretty quick.

    Hope this helps
  7. jstpa's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #7  
    Call your secretary and ask her/him/it to read them to you.

    Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  8. #8  
    I *think* aol mail has text to voice feature? As well as Yahoo mail if you upgrade. I am not sure.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdobbs
    You can do this ( I do) by just dialing-up your ISP telephone access number using the "Wireless Dial-up" setting. Set it up as you would a normal modem. Small text-only emails are pretty quick.

    Hope this helps
    I have this setup too for when I'm roaming and can't access Verizon's data network, though I already do pay for unlimited data.

    I have RoadRunner at home, and it comes with free dial-up access. I activated it on TimeWarner Cable's website. The trick to getting this working was finding the "script" for Treo when it connected as a modem. Just did a Google search for that...

    I've used this only a couple times. Unless Verizon is making a special effort to detect this type of call, it should be counted as a voice call and not as data, but I haven't verified that. And I don't think it's breaking any rules. After all, the Treo is specifically designed to make this possible.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    OMG!!! I actually agree with daclu!

    I feel my hair turning four shades lighter
    Jeez! Did you break the 5,000 mark with stuff like the above? For shame...
    David
  11. #11  
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
  12.    #12  
    i know all the anwsers i seek are 'on the internet"

    but i can't seem to narrow the 1,000,000,000 hits i get on google..


    what i want to do is use versamail (unless someone convinces me otherwise),
    dial up to roadrunner (for which i need some sort of hack/script). and look at the text of my email that reside on a server somwhere in siberia.

    many of the hack enteries are for bluetooth to make the treo a modem for a lap top...i don't have this need.

    if possible, a clear direction to the info i seek would be appreciated


    (treo 650/verizon/mac computer/roadrunner ip/toyota automobile/ sonicare toothbrush)
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by markmark
    i know all the anwsers i seek are 'on the internet"

    but i can't seem to narrow the 1,000,000,000 hits i get on google..


    what i want to do is use versamail (unless someone convinces me otherwise),
    dial up to roadrunner (for which i need some sort of hack/script). and look at the text of my email that reside on a server somwhere in siberia.

    many of the hack enteries are for bluetooth to make the treo a modem for a lap top...i don't have this need.

    if possible, a clear direction to the info i seek would be appreciated


    (treo 650/verizon/mac computer/roadrunner ip/toyota automobile/ sonicare toothbrush)

    what firmware version do you have on the sonicare toothbrush?
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
  14. #14  
    Go to prefs, network. Then pull down the menu to service->new change the connection to "virtual modem" and enter your username, password, and phone number for your ISP. Once you have it setup when you go to the network page you'll be able to pull down the service selection and choose that ISP. Some ISP's will work right off, others will require a script to work - I use mindspring when I'm outside the national access network no problem with no additional scripts. If you try your ISP and it doesn't work try doing a search on that ISP name here or search on "dun script" or "dun scripts".
  15.    #15  
    i tried all and still no connect...where does the script go???
  16.    #16  
    found where the script goes...got ppp timeout..now what???
  17. #17  
    Did you try searching on here for your ISP to see if anyone has set it up for them?
  18. #18  
    GSM, at least Cingular specifically, has a CSD setting which uses voice minutes instead of data. It's right in the network menu, if you don't have the option on your account ask for the free unlimited internet that uses airtime, they should know what you mean.

    Other carriers I dunno.
  19.    #19  
    if anyone has actually set up their treo to dial up their isp and be able to access email, please tell me how (step by step) it is done...

    i have searched for scripts, software, ppps, #777, duns etc..


    i believe i once did connect to roadrunner, but don't know were to tell it to go (like mail.xxxxxx.com)


    also used versimail (do i need to use that??) and sat the dreaded "internet connection arrows sucking the lifeblood out of my wallet..


    please help
  20. #20  
    I'm not sure, but from your last post, it sounds like you've connected to the dial-up, but you're having trouble with the mail app...

    In case you still need help with the dial-up, see post #6 by rlwhitt in this thread for the step-by-step:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=85399

    Test that this works by using the built-in web browser to pull up any webpage before you touch Versamail.


    I use Chatter, not Versamail. But any mail application will need your mail server addresses (incoming and outgoing), your username, and your password. And you'll need to know whether you have a POP or an IMAP server. Ask your email provider for the mail server info. If you use a desktop mail application, you can find that information there, maybe under "Account Settings". Or if it's a major provider, post the name here, and maybe someone will know.

    Hope that helps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions