Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Today I got a popup message stating that “Your Treo is using too many network sockets; this may be due to having too many Mailboxes online or to the use of other application. Please make at least one offline.” When I press Ok button the same popup reappears and can do nothing. I went to the phone and turned it off. Then I could go to ChatterMail without the popup. I went back to phone and started it up again. After the PCS Vision logon I went back to ChatterMail and again I got the popup. I then removed the battery and let the phone start up again and logon to PCS Vision. Then went back to ChatterMail and everything was back to normal. I have no idea what application causing this problem. Any ideas?

I use Fastmail account where I have defined the Inbox and three subfolders as Mailboxes and running version 1.0.6.4 of ChatterMail.
    VeriChat maybe.

Marc
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    VeriChat maybe.

Marc
    A sound like VeriChat has caused the problem in the past for you but I do not have that program installed. Here are the programs that I know do connect to the internet I have installed: Blazer, DA and Flight Status both use Blazer, Mergic VPN, and P-Tunes. The only one I have used lately is P-Tunes. Could it be P-Tunes?
    Try using ResetNetLib by doomsey to fix this next time. Hopefully, you won't have to remove the battery etc...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Another thought I have all four mailboxes go to sleep when I go to sleep and wake up in the morning. Note: sleep times are not the same for all Mailboxes. My thought when wakeup time is another socket requested and prior not released at sleep time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    VeriChat maybe.

Marc
    Marc,

I think it may be something in your code. I am using B31 and have seen it a couple times as well (b31 and in b28). It is very sporadic, I use a quick finger approach to shutdown Chatter (enter then menu + q VERY quickly). When I relaunch Chatter things are fine. I don't have to shutdown anything else to clear up the sockets. I occasionally use Toccer for AIM and I also use Express. I have 2 online IMAP accounts and a POP3 that I sync 4x/day. I have logging on once again and am simply waiting for it to happen to get you a log. Hope you are enjoying vacation.

Best,
    Rory
    I installed Handmark Express and have now started to get these out of socket errors, too. The ResetNetlib app mentioned earlier does seem to fix it (temporarily) but it's a bit of a pain.

I'm running Chatter 1.1.1 with 3 online mailboxes. I have Verichat in SMS mode, so that shouldn't be a factor. Handmark Express seems to put my Treo over the top in terms of the use of available sockets.

Is there anything that can be done, or is this just something that folks with more than one or two network aps will have to deal with?
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    I installed Handmark Express and have now started to get these out of socket errors, too. The ResetNetlib app mentioned earlier does seem to fix it (temporarily) but it's a bit of a pain.

I'm running Chatter 1.1.1 with 3 online mailboxes. I have Verichat in SMS mode, so that shouldn't be a factor. Handmark Express seems to put my Treo over the top in terms of the use of available sockets.

Is there anything that can be done, or is this just something that folks with more than one or two network aps will have to deal with?
    I have Express too, but haven't seen the socket issue since Marc implemented changes way back in B3X. How do you have Express configured? I honestly think the problem may be Express. I have Express set to keep the connection alive after updating but it always disconnect's me from Vision. Handmark has been less than stellar in their response and has done nothing to address it or try to troubleshoot it in my multiple attempts to contact them regarding the issue. I assume that if you create a log Marc could easily tell if the issue is caused by Chatter or elsewhere (Menu --> w --> type log --> wait for the issue --> Menu --> w --> type bug).

Good Luck,
    Rory
    Quote Originally Posted by rsprouse
    I have Express too, but haven't seen the socket issue since Marc implemented changes way back in B3X. How do you have Express configured? I honestly think the problem may be Express. I have Express set to keep the connection alive after updating but it always disconnect's me from Vision. Handmark has been less than stellar in their response and has done nothing to address it or try to troubleshoot it in my multiple attempts to contact them regarding the issue. I assume that if you create a log Marc could easily tell if the issue is caused by Chatter or elsewhere (Menu --> w --> type log --> wait for the issue --> Menu --> w --> type bug).

Good Luck,
    Rory
    Web browsing with Xiino also seems to be a contributing factor. I'm only getting this error (so far) if I'm browsing a web page, then switch to Express. I can usually update Express once, but thereafter I'll get the socket message.

I know it's likely not a Chatter issue, but rather a(nother) limitation of the Palm OS. I'm just wondering if there might be a way to tell if this is an issue of one of these apps not "cleaning up" after itself and leaving TCP/IP sockets open unnecessarily.

Unfortunately, a Chatter log isn't likely to tell Marc anything other than that there aren't any sockets available... which I already know.
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    I saw this for the first time today. Seems to happen after I have manually updated several feeds in QuickNews (which I just installed today). Attempts to update more feeds silently fail. Chatter at least reports the problem. I think I may have found a workaround which is when this happens, do a Disconnect inside QuickNews. I don't have Handmark Express. Possibly more than one app 'leaks' sockets.
    Obviously, I can't speak for other applications, but I am certain that Chatter never "orphans" sockets.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    Obviously, I can't speak for other applications, but I am certain that Chatter never "orphans" sockets.

Marc
    Do you know if there's any way to tell the status of the Treo's network stack? In other words, is there a way to tell how many sockets there are, how many are open, and what processes are utilizing how many?
    I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Marc
    I'm not aware of any way to do that.

Marc
    Bummer. How's that WinMob version of Chatter coming?
    You volunteering to do it?

Marc
    You volunteering to do it?

Marc
    I wish I had half your talent and energy. Then I just might be able to.
    I will probably partner with somebody to do Chatter on WM, btw. I would get ill having to code for Windows.

Marc
    I will probably partner with somebody to do Chatter on WM, btw. I would get ill having to code for Windows.

Marc
    How about WebIS? Or do you mean someone not already producing a WM e-mail app?

WebIS seems clueless about IMAP push. Their customers are asking for it on their forums but they don't seem to get it. With MS Exchange being able to push to a WM 5 PPC it seems to me WebIS is going to have to get on the ball if they're to differentiate themselves from the free mail client already on the device.
    VeriChat maybe.

Marc
    I just started getting this message a few days ago. I am using Chatter 1.1.5.1. I use Blazer, and once in awhile I use DA. However, even immediately after a reset I get the message as Chatter opens (and before using any other network-aware app). I have 4 IMAP mailboxes online, and I have never seen this problem before. Any ideas? This is a huge pain, and makes using the data network conveniently almost impossible.
    Send a log, please. Instructions are in the FAQ at www.chatteremail.com.

Marc