Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Because on the DVD you are breaking an encryption which by itself is a crime. Even if you break the encryption but don't copy anything, it's still a crime under DCMA.

Casettes and CDs are not encrypted. This is similar to the printer maker who encrypted the data on its printer cartridges with some lame *** encryption, but it allowed them to accuse generic cartridge makers of federal crimes because they had reversed engineered the cartridges (which by all accounts was exceedingly easy).
    Cue Judas Priest....."breaking the law, breaking the law..." Whatever.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    It seems to me that those who distribute (especially mass distribute) are targeted by the law - don't panic if you're just making a copy for personal use is what I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Good summary nicegoogly,

But I haven't seen anywhere which states that USING DVD decrypter violates the DCMA or any other law. I also haven't seen where anyone has ever had trouble over copying their own DVD's for private, noncommercial use.
    My post agrees with you, legitimate back ups of your own software and media are is permissible, provided you do not break the encryption to copy it. There is a bill currently before congress to reform the DCMA to permit legitimate decryption to permit owner of the the media to make back up copies. There are actually two laws that contradict each other right now, with, of course, the DCMA being the only one that the music and movie industry care about so the prosecution ensues. The problem with decryption software, arguably, is it's intended use. Since it is obvious that decryption software will be used, most likely, pirate dvd's and cd's, then it is illegal, which conforms with the currents Supreme Court decision to hold the creators of software that use the P2P networks that intend to share music and movies. DVD Shrink is a great example of trying to get around the "encryption" but at the same time, to compress, you must decrypt, and it also has a decryption function to tear the movie from the dvd itself.

CD's, especially the recent ones, are now considered encrypted since many cs's, like the XXX cd, are multimedia enabled with some video or photos when you place them in a cd rom. To copy these or make mp3's falls into the same illegal use. CD's are not excluded from the DCMA by any means now that a company, not unlike KRamsuers' example of the printer company, can put any cheesy software on their cd's and call it encryption. For example, the part of a cd that when you place it your cd drive contacts the CDDB to read out name of the cd, the artist and track number and name is considered a form of encryption. That has abeen a part of cd's for quite some time.

As far as the difference from making a cassete from the radio and records to making a cd of songs is simple: technology has allowed something better than a paper trail, a digital trail that shows that the item is a copy, where and whom you downloaded from and possible what software was used to rip it from wherever it came from. As much as the new technology tempts us to do more, it gives others greater evidence of wrongdoing that once went on behind closed doors in the privacy of your own home.
    Last edited by nicegoogly; 08/10/2005 at 09:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    It seems to me that those who distribute (especially mass distribute) are targeted by the law - don't panic if you're just making a copy for personal use is what I say.
    I agree, they are the intended target, but look at all the stupid lawsuits that the RIAA filed against 13 year old girls for downloading 2,000 Britney Spears songs. Nevermind, that girl shoudl go to jail for that. But for everyone else, as I have mentioned earlier, anyone with a maxed out IPOD I am sure did not pay 10,000 for all of their songs. ITunes and Music Match are both decryption software as they upload cd's to your IPOD. Once congress clearly says you are allowed to do this, then they open the door to using similar software to permit use of compressed movies on to your Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    I agree, they are the intended target, but look at all the stupid lawsuits that the RIAA filed against 13 year old girls for downloading 2,000 Britney Spears songs. Nevermind, that girl shoudl go to jail for that. But for everyone else, as I have mentioned earlier, anyone with a maxed out IPOD I am sure did not pay 10,000 for all of their songs. ITunes and Music Match are both decryption software as they upload cd's to your IPOD. Once congress clearly says you are allowed to do this, then they open the door to using similar software to permit use of compressed movies on to your Treo.
    I agree, that girl shoudl go to jail!

I also agree with the 10,000 songs likely not all paid for example. Just don't want people to panic if all they've done is use DVD Decrypter to put a couple movies on their Treo so they can watch them on the plane ride.
    Other than the Supreme Court decision, I think the litigiousness of the RIAA has dropped a bit since they only people they managed to catch in the act were very young. Nothing like scaring them straight at a young age. By the way, the girl that I was referring to, Pepsi paid her judgment and had her appear on their commercial with the bottlecaps that give away free I-Tunes playing the Clash's "I fought the law". That's a good song. Maybe I should download it.
    i use DVD Shrink. Also a free download from doom9..
    Palm Pilot 1000 -> Sprint TP-3000 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650
    DVD Shrink is definately the easiest to use. Even making copies of home made dvd's of family video from a Mini DV camera is just so easy to toss in DVD Shrink and not think about it (when it is linked to your Nero or other burning ROM).
    doesnt this go into the discussion about tapeing TV?

lol. It saddens me that the people on top dont lead by example and work with 'the law' and create quality and customer respect. How many times have any of you activly bought software or music etc just because you want to support the artists and the creators?

I am also talking about the local garage bands etc. and small time joe.

Its loyalty they need to foster not more law. law is useless when respect is lost.

if the world stands on end and devowers them so be it. Change is the only constant. They should have paid someone to tell them that by now. they get what they get.

-SB

"I dont care how many uneducated cops they toss out there. One holy man can silence the mob, use your mind, not your muscle."
    T650 - it will terminate itself!!
    Semper fi marine

Fat Daddy B
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    This is BS. There's a checkbox in DVD Decrypter that disables automatic updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    This is BS. There's a checkbox in DVD Decrypter that disables automatic updates.
    I think that seems to be the consensus here.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbrackin
    Semper fi marine

Fat Daddy B
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I have a hypothetical question:

Let's say someone buys a set of DVDs. The DVDs get copied using a decrypting program. Afterwards, that person returns the DVD set for a full refund. Will the store be able to tell if the DVDs have been copied? Will there be clues left behind?

Again, this is just a hypothetical question :-)

Thanks, CC.
    No, but most stores will not let you returned opened merchandise
    True, however, you could sell them via classifeds like CraigsList.com and recoup most of your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    True, however, you could sell them via classifeds like CraigsList.com and recoup most of your money.
    Or ebay.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicegoogly
    DVD Shrink is definately the easiest to use. Even making copies of home made dvd's of family video from a Mini DV camera is just so easy to toss in DVD Shrink and not think about it (when it is linked to your Nero or other burning ROM).
    only thing about dvdshrink is that they can't decode dvd made from sony
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12