Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I've just been allocated a PowerBook G4 by my new company. They use Lotus Notes 6 for email, calendar, etc. I've been happily synching my Treo 650 with Windows XP/Office 2003 up until now but need to switch over to the Mac. Can anyone offer advice on what software I need to get this running.

Thanks.

Brendan.
    I need some help here.

I've lost the iSync conduit from the Hotsync connection list. I try redoing the iSync process selecting sync with a Palm device and it goes through the process but does not place a new copy of iSync conduit in the connection list. Anyone know how to get or find the connection item for iSync and get back in this list. I can not sync now without it.

Thanks,

Michael
    I've lost the iSync item in HotSync manager conneciton list. I've gone through the iSync process multiple times selecting sync with Palm device and it goes through the process ok but does not place a new copy in the HotSync connection list. It does take the conduits out of the conduit list it is suppose to.

Anyone know how to find or put back this need iSync connection item in HotSync manager?

Thanks,

Michael
    It is my intention to sync my Palm to my Mac address book and to Outlook/contacts. I have seen where supernames is a good application to use on the Palm that works directly with Palm and can also sync all the data from Mac/addressBook. So before I buy that and go to all the trouble of doing all this does anyone have similar need and a solution that works with not a lot of work arounds and complicated procedures.

Thanks

Michael
    Just got a 700p and about to sync. I have a Palm Tungtsen-e that I use but no longer synch. I want to continue using icalender/contacts on my PB instead of palm desktop or entourage. I think it is best to start anew with my 700p and not try to use my Tungsten. I plan on reloading the palmdesktop from the treo disc after renaming my current palm folder something else as to not duplicate anything. And then add back applications one by one as needed. Do I need to reload the isync conduit? I'm also synching the 700p with my exchange server at work including calendar adn contacts. Is there anything I need to know so that it can sync with both my PB and the exchange server? I don't want to get stuck with dupplicates or other problems. Any other advice or trouble shooting tips of those who have synched 700p with Mac will be greately appreciated.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    This is a useful thread, but some things seem not to have been made explicitly clear. This is my understanding.

- If you want to sync Mac Address Book & iCal to your Treo, you must use iSync plus either Hotsync or MissingSync.

- If you want to sync Mac Palm Desktop to your Treo, you use Hotsync alone and do not activate the iSync conduit or do anything with respect to iSync.

This second point is key because the relationship between iSync and Hotsync needs to be understood. If one were to install and use Palm Desktop and have it synced with a Treo, and then one day decide to play around with iSync and activate and use it, one might find the Treo now synced to relatively unused Address Book & iCal and the info on the Treo from Palm Desktop replaced.

The beginning of the thread seemed to imply that iSync must be involved in all sync scenarios involving a Mac, whereas it is actually only required with respect to getting in touch with Address Book and iCal.

Is this correct?
    Palm III > Treo 600 > Treo 650 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Sprint)
    Macbook C2D 2.0GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by Munir View Post
    - If you want to sync Mac Address Book & iCal to your Treo, you must use iSync plus either Hotsync or MissingSync
    Not quite. You can use iSync + HotSync, or MissingSync by itself. iSync is a conduit for HotSync for contacts, events and todo's, whereas MissingSync is a stand-alone program with its own set of conduits and compatibility with many 3rd-party HotSync conduits. I don't think you could or would ever want to use iSync as a conduit under MissingSync.
    - If you want to sync Mac Palm Desktop to your Treo, you use Hotsync alone and do not activate the iSync conduit or do anything with respect to iSync.
    Correct.
    This second point is key because the relationship between iSync and Hotsync needs to be understood. If one were to install and use Palm Desktop and have it synced with a Treo, and then one day decide to play around with iSync and activate and use it, one might find the Treo now synced to relatively unused Address Book & iCal and the info on the Treo from Palm Desktop replaced.
    In principle synchronization is 2-way; you can add or modify some contacts and/or events on the desktop, and others on the Treo, and sync will put the latest version of each on both devices. As we all know, it doesn't always work perfectly but that's the principle.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 12/13/2006 at 05:13 PM.
    Yes, that's correct. I don't use iSync. I use Missing Sync and the Palm database. iSync seems to still lack a number of things.
    You can export/import data to/from Palm and iCal/Address book when needed.
    can one sync a wm5 phone (700w) with a mac through 3rd party software?
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Posting my iSync issue here to try to avoid making a new thread.

I've been happily using iSync with Palm's HotSync manager for years, but now I've run into a problem I can't fix.

I have a 700p from VZW and its been a real pain in the **** lately, resetting itself, apps disappearing (Snapper!), slow responses to input, etc. I decided to go ahead with the firmware update and start over from scratch with all the apps and such. The update went fine and I haven't had a spontaneous reset since. The problem is that iSync isn't working now. Here's what the HotSync log says:

iSync Conduit starting 1/5/08 11:11:43 AM
    iSync Conduit: received NULL message, disconnecting... 1/5/08 11:12:20 AM
    OK iSync Conduit

I guess its this NULL message that is causing it to fail. I don't have any of my calendars or contacts on my phone and its really causing me problems! I don't need all the fancy stuff that Missing Sync has, I just need the basic syncing that iSync and HotSync Manager give me. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've tried syncing with the cable, syncing over BlueTooth, having iSync re-enable Palm syncing, various restarts and resets, etc. I can't figure this out. Help!
    I'd go into the Hot Sync Manager and check to see which options are checked and not checked. I know that I once tried to sync my 680 with Mail and iCal instead of the Palm Desktop. F'd things all up I did!!

A re-install of the PD w/Hot Sync manager fixed things for me. Before I did, I noticed that some of the "regular" items to sync had been "unchecked". My problem was that I could not "re-check" them!! Possibly your PD and Hot Sync manager got F'd up somehow and a re-install will help you.

Good luck.
    I was unable to get my Sprint 755p to sync Address Book and iCal items using Palm Desktop 4.2.2, the iSync conduit and Leopard. Worked fine under Tiger. As someone else mentioned, Missing Sync provides a lot of functions I don't care about and don't need. The call log and SMS backups are okay, but not worth $40 for me. Ultimately though I had to have my contacts and calendar info when I travel so I forked over the 40 bucks and now everything seems to be syncing just fine.
    I just reinstalled my Palm Desktop and HotSync software. I then went into iSync and had it re-enable Palm OS syncing. Then I tried a HotSync and still got this same message:
    iSync Conduit starting 1/8/08 12:43:52 AM
    iSync Conduit: received NULL message, disconnecting... 1/8/08 12:44:07 AM
    OK iSync Conduit

Help! Please! Someone help!
    I've tried even more things and none have worked to fix my troubles.

I found a "reset device" option in iSync so I tried it, no dice.

I did a fresh hard reset of the 700p, that didn't help.

I did a hard reset and created a new user name for the HotSync ID, that didn't help.

Doesn't anyone have any other ideas for me? I suppose I could call Verizon, but I doubt they'd be much help.
    I just found this thread over at the Apple support forums:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....14874&tstart=0

From there I discovered that turning off the contacts syncing in iSync allowed me to sync my calendars. I then exported all of my contacts from Address Book into a vcard and sent it to my 700p via BlueTooth, it accepted it into Contacts and now I've got all of my information back on my 700p. Its not a perfect solution, but my calendars change much more often than my contacts do so at least it will work until they actually get this stuff fixed the right way. I hope this helps other people who end up with the same problem!
    Lets see how the soon to be released Mac OS Snow Leopard affects us Mac users...

"Snow Leopard includes out-of-the-box support for Microsoft Exchange 2007 built into Mail, Address Book, and iCal. Mac OS X uses the Exchange Web Services protocol to provide access to Exchange Server 2007"

It could be a case of - "USB cables be gone!"

Fingers crossed..

I wonder how the new Palm WebOS and Pre will play ball with Mac....?
    Blackberry owner now. Past Treo owner, 3 models - ran screaming for the hills after encountering WindowsMobile on a Treo 700 - that killed the Palm passion instantly. Mac user but feel the iPhone isnt good enough yet. A Hardware qwerty keyboard fan.. I'm not ready to type on glass just yet..
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    This is a good discussion.It is helpfull to me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123