1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I use the Backup springboard for my VDX. I have read the review about BackupBuddy sw, do I really need it when I already have the Backup springboard? Please advise. Thank you.

There are already lots of threads about this (for ex: this or this). But instead of just telling you to use the search function on "BackupBuddy" and "module" (although I recommend it) I'll give you my thoughts:

BackupBuddy is great because it works every time you sync. If you're like me and sync everyday to get AvantGo, you don't need to use the (slow) module very often.

The module is great to carry around for backups. If you enter a bunch of data but can't sync right away, the module is the best. A couple of good backup module scenarios: you enter data into your Visor all day but only can sync at home; you enter data while you travel on business, but you don't sync until you get back.

If you really are disciplined enough to backup to your module every day, BB isn't that big a deal.
    Jeff
    I own & use both products. I am thankful that I have them. I guess as I keep filling my Visor with more & more crucial information, the cost of using both methods of backup is a small price indeed for the peace of mind it gives me. The latest version of backup buddy even lets me sync my visor clock with my system clock (and I use a time sync program for my pc). It is true that the module provides you with a sound method of backing up your data, but what if I lost my visor with the backup mod inserted, or damaged it beyond repair? While a regular hotsync would cover me for the handheld databases, I still like the fact that backup buddy can restore a replacement visor exactly as it was configured before. This level of protection is not necessary for everyone, but I don't regret spending the extra cash. I find that it is easier for me to do frequent hotsyncs with bb than putting in that module every time I want to back up, but I wouldn't be without either. Just my $.02
    tuffy
    Currently, I'm never more than a few minutes away from a PC. I sync both at work and at home and use BackupBuddy in both places. The peace of mind, to me, is its best feature. If I were a traveler, I'd also have a Backup module. I will eventually get one, but for now it's just not necessary for me.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by PDAENVY
    There are already lots of threads about this (for ex: this or this). But instead of just telling you to use the search function on "BackupBuddy" and "module" (although I recommend it) I'll give you my thoughts:
    I think it's alright to post a subject again that's already been discussed. This is the first thread on this subject since I registered and it was helpful to me. It's not something that I would have thought to search for so having it posted again was useful. I'm not saying people shouldn't search for what they're interested in, but they shouldn't be afraid to post something that may have been discussed already either. Just my opinion.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by SpeakerCoach
    Hi all,

I use the Backup springboard for my VDX. I have read the review about BackupBuddy sw, do I really need it when I already have the Backup springboard? Please advise. Thank you.

I have both, I use both. I like the backup module a lot more, but Backup buddy (after you install it) doesn't need user interaction.

For the longest time I didn't use the backup module on a regular bases and just counted on backup buddy.

If you can remember to use the backup module often, then you probably dont need backup buddy. But if like me you "forget," then it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan for your backup.:-)

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.