1.    #1  
    I am trying to download WMA books from my library and I am having some problems getting them to run with ptunes. Does anyone have any idea what player will play these protected files?

TIA

d
  2.    #2  
    Nobody read books from the library? Want to try out these books but I am not sure which player will work.

d
    I'm curious about the same thing. A friend at my work, tipped me off to NetLibrary and being able to listen to books for free, but they're in WMA format.

They are protected WMA files that "expire" after a few weeks.

Anyone have any ideas on being able to do this? She is using just some generic MP3 player.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    The latest version of Pocket Tunes Deluxe (3.1) added support for the PlaysForSure protection that's typically used for protecting WMA files. There are also standalone mp3 players that support these protected WMA files, which are listed at the PlaysForSure website.
    Did this last night. It's slow, but not too painful.

You'll need:

- A Treo (or other high-end Palm) with Pocket Tunes Deluxe 3.1.1
    - A PC with Windows Media Player 10

Because of the digital rights management, you must use the PTunes <-> Media Player synchonization mechanism. You can't copy the audiobook wma file directly to your SD card.

- Download the audiobook from NetLibrary
    - Connect your Treo to the PC using the USB cable
    - Open Windows Media Player 10
    - Start PTunes on your Treo -- it should say it's communicating with the PC
    - If Media player asks, say you want "Manual" synchronization
    - Open the audiobook wma file in Media Player
    - Media Player will obtain a license from NetLibrary
    - Stop the playback
    - Click the "Library" tab
    - Select "Now Playing" in the list on the left
    - Select and drag your wma file from the center panel to the Sync List on the far right
    - Click the "Sync" tab
    - Verify that your audiobook wma file is in the Sync List on the left
    - Press the "Start Sync" button at the top of the list panel and wait a while.

Good luck.
  6.    #6  
    I have a Mac. Can this be done with out launching Media Player? BTW that is a Rockin answer for your first post. Welcome.

d

Quote Originally Posted by WillCodeForBeer
    Did this last night. It's slow, but not too painful.

You'll need:

- A Treo (or other high-end Palm) with Pocket Tunes Deluxe 3.1.1
    - A PC with Windows Media Player 10

Because of the digital rights management, you must use the PTunes <-> Media Player synchonization mechanism. You can't copy the audiobook wma file directly to your SD card.

- Download the audiobook from NetLibrary
    - Connect your Treo to the PC using the USB cable
    - Open Windows Media Player 10
    - Start PTunes on your Treo -- it should say it's communicating with the PC
    - If Media player asks, say you want "Manual" synchronization
    - Open the audiobook wma file in Media Player
    - Media Player will obtain a license from NetLibrary
    - Stop the playback
    - Click the "Library" tab
    - Select "Now Playing" in the list on the left
    - Select and drag your wma file from the center panel to the Sync List on the far right
    - Click the "Sync" tab
    - Verify that your audiobook wma file is in the Sync List on the left
    - Press the "Start Sync" button at the top of the list panel and wait a while.

Good luck.
    Last edited by rahenkamp; 08/09/2005 at 04:40 PM.
    I'm in the same boat as rahenkamp, I'm on a Mac running OS X.

I do have a spare PC in my house, but I kinda like keeping it in a closet and turned off.

I wonder if this would work through Virtual PC, as a last resort. But going through OS X would be best.

WillCodeforBeer - thanks for the post!!! Very informative :-)
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    Netlibrary books on the Treo sounds great. Does netlibrary have a good selection of fiction?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Glad I could be helpful, having lurked since February.

Sadly, I don't think you can use a Mac. From what I understand, this can't happen until Microsoft releases Windows Media Player 10 for Mac, and then Pocket Tunes would need to support communication with it.

And it might never happen because of digital rights management wars between Microsoft and Apple.
    I've been trying to do this but WMP 10 keeps giving me an error message when I try to sync the audio book. I'm using Pocket Tunes 3.1.1 and a treo 600. My other files sync fine. Ideas anyone?