1.    #1  
    I finally got my 650 after months of waiting/anticipation/etc... After having it for 4 days I was out the other night and couldn't unlock the keyguard in order to use it! The center button would not work. I reset and was in but it still would not work. I also noticed that the entire 5 way would not work and neither would the keyboard! The red and green buttons, I think message button and home seem to work, though. It wasn't dropped or otherwise abused or anything...

I can't even unlock it to make a call! I can answer calls with the touch screen but that is about all I can do....

At first I was thinking this is probably a hardware problem but wanted to check here to see if anyone had any other ideas.

Also what is the best way to go about getting a new one or whatever since this thing is basically brand new... I bought it through amazon.com so I'd rather not send it back where I bought it... would it be possible to walk into a sprint store and get a replacement?

thanks for your help...

2.    #2  
    Actually.. it seems NONE of the buttons work not even the phone buttons, message, etc...
    that happened to me also, it turns out I dropped the phone and one of the buttons got jammed (the lower right hand arrow key), so now, every once in awhile, Ijust have to press it a few times to unjam it and the rest of the keypad (includung the directionals) work again....its not that big of a deal, but it took me awhile to figure out that is what was wrong (after hard resets, etc.)

Hope that helps!
  4.    #4  
    thanks for the reply. I tried pushing every single button a few times with the battery out and putting it back to no avail.... I did a hard reset and it didn't help either.

Interestingly the device recognized the power button being down for the hard reset..but.. then it doesn't work for anything else. (and the up arrow to confirm the hard)

It does appear that the button to the right of alt is jammed .. no feedback when i press it.. it doens't really go down..

argh...

Sometimes keyboard works after a soft + turn on phone + mess around with buttons enough... usually if it goes into keyguard that is it, though...

I did a hard and now I can't seem to sync back, either.

geez...

Sounds like hardware?
    Last edited by shazbot; 08/06/2005 at 05:50 PM.
    It usually means your keyboard has a stuck key or defective one.

You can tell this when you go to reset your treo and hold the power button for example. you'll find that it actually recognizes you attempting to reset the treo. You can press UP to erase all contents and that too will register, but when in phone mode everything seems to not work.

My suggestion is to try gently pushing all of your buttons one at a time, feel for a click or response. The problem areas are alt keys and the blue key.

make sure they have responses and feedbacks...if you find one that does not have a response or feedback, that key is jammed. Sometimes you can unjam them, sometimes the problem is on the board portion below the key.

If there are no signs of damage from dropping it IS covered under warranty. I have the same problem where I dropped my unit and the alt key crapped out on me, took it in, said my alt key wasn't working. The sprint lady inspected the phone for chips and dents which there were none and I walked out with a brand new phone fresh from a retail box.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew23
    that happened to me also, it turns out I dropped the phone and one of the buttons got jammed (the lower right hand arrow key), so now, every once in awhile, Ijust have to press it a few times to unjam it and the rest of the keypad (includung the directionals) work again....its not that big of a deal, but it took me awhile to figure out that is what was wrong (after hard resets, etc.)

Hope that helps!
    Thanks again. You were right on. It was the right arrow key. When I tried to press it there was no downward travel. I tried pulling it upwards and pressing on it and none of that seemed to help.

If this happens to anyone else the best method I found to unstick it was to put a fingernail on the left and the right of the tiny key and then press down on the left, then the right, left, right, etc and kind of rock it.. eventually it unstuck and I could use the other keys. Unfortunately it still resticks itself.

So I'm going to see if I can swap it at the Spint store as it is less than a week old and wasn't dropped etc.... though, I'm worried if a key can stick so easily.. will it happen again on a new one?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    This same thing happened to me about a week ago. I had to eject my sd card to get it to stop but it always happen again. 650's have a 1 year factory defect warrenty with Sprint so they will try to fix it and then say it needs to be replaced. don't let them give you a refurbished tell them you demand a new one. I did! and I got one.
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks BenJoeM... Does the SD card add extra pressure or something? How does that stop it?

Did you just go to a sprint store to do the exchange? Yes.. I don't want a refurb!
  9.    #9  
    Went to Sprint store today since it was withing 14 days (uh..) they had no problem swapping it for a brand new one.. unfortunately, they were out of stock and supposedly called every store in the area which were all out of stock... so i'm stuck with this one for a few more days... My ChAT SeSSIonS loOk LiKE THIS AS i TYPE the CAps Goes ON And OfF ..but for the most part it is functional for now...

I hope that I get a hardware B and also that this was just a defective one and the next keyboard will not break easily...
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I posted about this very issue a few days ago, but apparently it was not Treo related (??) and the post was moved. It seems like a common problem though.
  11.    #11  
    I did a search for threads started by you and couldn't find it. I'm with you though, the logic used to move threads around baffles me... too many overlapping forums i guess.

Anyway, what was your resolution? Was it on your phone? You don't even use a treo any more right?