1.    #1  
    About 8 months ago I had used my AIM screen name that I've had for years for a free trial of AOL. During the 2 months I had AOL for free, I found that I never used it - nor needed to use it - so against every wish of the cancellation agent, I canceled.

For a while after AIM Mail came out, I got an error message stating that AIM Mail for canceled AOL accounts was not yet available. Recently, after trying to log in, I've found it actually works now.

When reading the help pages, it tells me I should be able to use IMAP even as a canceled AOL account; but when using the settings it gives me (imap.aim.com, smtp.aim.com) I get an error message that my account is canceled and to call 800-something or other to reactivate the master screen name.

Is there anyone I can send a help request to? I notice there is no e-mail address or phone number for AIM Mail support and if I call AOL support, they won't help me unless I'm an AOL customer.

Thanks!
    -M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    I would just get a gmail account since the AOL one is too risky since you cancelled it. I know I cancelled an AOL screen name once (even though I stayed an AOL member) and I could never reuse that name for AIM or to get any email that might be sent to it. If you can't get a gmail account let me know your current email by PM and I'll send you an invite. I say PM because I might never find this thread again.
    Just make a new screen name and it will work fine..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  4.    #4  
    I do have a Gmail account, thank you for the offer! I want to use AIM, because I'm actually less afraid that AIM will stop the IMAP service than I am Gmail will make it a paid feature in the future.

Also, I do not want to create a new screen name because I've had this screen name for YEARS! It's my online identity.

-M-
    I feel you about changing screen names but what I did wrong was not upfdate my aim settings before I created the mailbox.. I had an old aol email adress on there that I no longer have and when my mailbox was created I never got the confirmation email that you have to reply too which now I know enables you to use imap because before creating a new sn I used to get the login failed when trying to set it up with chatter..
    just make a new name for email and still use the original for the messenger and you should be fine..
  7.    #7  
    Still no luck. Is there a customer service number or e-mail address specifically for AIM e-mail support?
    I am very leary of using IMAP with AIM or AOL. Several months ago I had my desktop email program set up to receive my AOL mail. That part went fine for a while, then I decided that for that particular screen name, I no longer wanted to receive email through Outlook, so I deleted that one from Outlook.

For some reason after that, every time I signed on to AOL, it kept telling me that I had all this mail, but the actual mail wasnt showing up on AOL. It was somehow still going to Outlook as though something inside of AOL told it to always go there no matter what.

It took a couple of weeks to resolve whatever was causing the glitch; but at this time, I dont recall what the solution was.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  9.    #9  
    3 days, I'm gonna bump it to see if anyone else has found a way to access your AIM Mail using IMAP if you ever once used your screen name as an AOL account. There's got to be someone else out there who has this issue? It specifically says in the Help pages that Migrated AOL accounts to AIM Mail can use IMAP, but there is NO support e-mail, phone number, or otherwise.

Anyone?

-M-
    i had something similar happen, a couple of years ago, i cancelled my aol account and lost access to the free aim service. then one day i was able to login again after a year or so and i'm able to use the imap mail service thru aim mail. my brother screen name was the same and he is now able to access it again and use the aim mail too. i think aol server has to somehow release your screen name as an aol account into a free aim account, then you should be able to get the imap access. otherwise do what donric609 suggested and create a new screen name.