Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why doesn't somebody make an audio adapter for the Treo 650 that does not go from 2.5 mm plug to 3.5 mm jack but instead goes from Treo Universal connector to 3.5 mm jack. This would hold better and be less likely to do damage to the Treo.

Basically what I am describing is the new Seidio dock, but in cable or adapter form factor. Seidio, are you listening>
    Last edited by guinnessdraught; 11/20/2005 at 05:48 PM.
    HUH? This would be simpler than a 2.5-to-3.5 adapter?!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    No, it wouldn't be simpler nor cheaper, but it would be safer. Extending the Treo's 2.5mm jack with an adapter and then plugging a headset into it seems to be a good way to break the Treo's flimsy headphone jack. With the plug and adapter combination sticking out that far from the Treo, all it takes is a little bump to break the jack permanently. If the same headphone signals are available on the universal connector, I would definitely be willing to pay a bit more for a 3.5" adapter that connected via that port. So I think it is a great idea.
    You are correct sir! My flimsy jack is broke because I used the Palm branded adapter. I'm so upset...
    Try this one, T|C branded adapter...it works MUCH better because it does not put any horizontal force on the plug.
    http://store.treocentral.com/store_i...s/large/13.jpg
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  6. MMT
    I've been wanting the same thing. In fact, I bought a couple of universal connectors from the Palm developer parts store online with the intention of making such an adapter. Unfortunately, they are totally bare-bones and will require manufacturing some kind of cover to hold the connector and the headphone jack. I'm not sure how to do that. I've thought of two things: make it from wood, like others here have done with homebrew cradles, or make it from epoxy resin that is poured into a mold. Anyone have mold-making skills??
    I've attached a photo of the adapters I have.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://store.treocentral.com/store_i.../large/337.jpg
    how could this adapter do more harm than a regular headphone cord?
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
  8.    #8  
    MMT, that looks like a connector that's designed to be mounted on a PCB. You can definitely get 3.5 mm jack connectors also designed for PCB mount. A small circuit board design is probably the best bet. Can you point me to where you got those connectors. I might give it a try.

I am also looking to replace my (broken) 2.5 mm jack in my treo and am looking for a source for that. Is it available there also? Do I need to register as a palm developer?

millsda2, that is exactly the device I used (from T/C) to break my connector.
  9. MMT
    You have to sign up with Palm's PluggedIn developer program to buy parts. It's free:

http://pluggedin.palmone.com/regac/pluggedin/login.jsp

Unfortunately they don't sell replacement audio jacks. The only parts they sell for the 650 in particular are a couple of varieties of universal connectors (one of which is the part I described earlier), plus the corresponding universal connector that goes inside the Treo itself, plus a couple of power cable connectors.

I can see mounting the connector I bought to a PCB or some other rigid material, and mounting a 1/8" headphone jack to the same material. You'd still have to solder wires from the appropriate stubs on the universal connector to the headphone jack, and then you'd want to cover the wires up in some way to protect them from damage. That's why I was imagining setting the assembled product in a mold and pouring epoxy resin around it. In addition to protecting the wires, a case of some sort would provide something more substantial to hold onto when removing the connector from the Treo. It's pretty tough to get enough grip on the connector by itself to disconnect it from the Treo bottom.

So, the trick will be to figure out how to make something that is:

1. electrically sound, i.e. the solder points are well protected
    2. strong enough to take some firm pressure when connecting and disconnecting from the Treo
    3. relatively small; it won't do to have a big bulky box hanging off the Treo.
  10. MMT
    just to avoid confusion, I should correct my last post. Our 650 uses a multi-connector, not a universal connector. Universal is the name of the old-style Palm connector.

I'm working on a prototype audio adapter now. I may have something to show in a day or two...
    I don't know...the multi-connector (or whatever it's called) on my 600 looks pretty delicate. Maybe the 650's is different? If you were to snag your headphone cord on something, it looks like you could easily break the thing. And if you break the multi-connector, not only do you not have audio, you can't hotsync, or recharge, or much of anything. Your Treo will die a slow, painful death.
  12. MMT
    After a few good hours of work I have a prototype audio adapter. I followed the plan I described earlier in this thread.

It works great! The only problem is that a little resin seeped behind the springs that hold the multi-connector in place when it's inserted into the Treo, so the springs don't move as far as they normally would. Consequently, I have to use a decent amount of force to insert and remove the adapter (considerably more than for the standard sync cable). This worried me at first because I certainly don't want to damage my Treo by pushing on it too hard or yanking the connector out of the bottom of it, but after a few insertions and removals it seems to be okay. Let's just say it's a good solid fit, and that's a feature, not a bug :-) If there is a next one, I'll find a way to keep the resin away from the springs.
  13. MMT
    jesterjo, the 600 connector is smaller and more fragile as far as I know (I don't have one). The multi-connector on the 650 is fairly big and makes a firm connection. Check out the pictures in my last post to see how it works.
    Will this work with the Treo in some popular cases (like Vaja T65)? You may want the connector to jut out a little bit more from the Treo ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  15.    #15  
    Wow MMT, That is some really nice work!! I sure didn't have the vision you had on this one. That is just what I need to avoid breaking my audio jack again.

I just don't have the time to fiddle with a project like that but I sure would buy one of those. Hint, hint, Seidio.
    Last edited by guinnessdraught; 08/14/2005 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typos
  16. MMT
    Thanks for the compliment. Unfortunately, it seems that the connector spring clips are too tight after all and I don't want to risk screwing up my treo so I'm gonna have to make another :-) My local Frye's is out of the headphone jack I used at the moment so I may have to wait a bit.

Honestly I'd rather just buy one from someone else myself, though this has been fun.
    I pinged them to this thread, but I'm not holding my breath.
  18. MMT
    Finally got some new headphone jacks and decided to try making another adapter. This one turned out much better. I used a different mold, and I made sure to keep resin from getting into the spring clips. It sounds great, looks decent, and clips securely to my treo while still releasing without too much pressure. And, it only took two hours this time instead of four

Apologies for a couple of the pictures being blurry.
    Ingenious! I'm surprised it was that easy (or was it), how did you know that the sound was being piped out there, and how to connect it?

Anyway, if you go into mass production, let me know.
    Visor, Treo 180g, 600, 650, 680. Optus Australia
    <sub>You might think that the favorite plant of the porcupine is the cactus, but it's thinking like that that has almost ruined this country. - <i>Jack Handey</i></sub>
    Quote Originally Posted by MMT
    Finally got some new headphone jacks and decided to try making another adapter. This one turned out much better. I used a different mold, and I made sure to keep resin from getting into the spring clips. It sounds great, looks decent, and clips securely to my treo while still releasing without too much pressure. And, it only took two hours this time instead of four

Apologies for a couple of the pictures being blurry.
    WOW MMT! Very impressive. That second one looks even better than the first prototype. As a side bar question though, do need any additional software on the Treo to transfer audio via the multiconnector rather than the audio out jack?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast