Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I just had a thought: use one of the new Seido adaptors in the back of your official Palm cradle and you have a nice (but expensive) audio docking system. [He says, trying to be optimistic]
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I just recieved the Seidio adapter that was inspired by this thread and I'm horribly dissapointed, it doesn work AT ALL. The fit is really bad but it still plugs in(the slightest bump makes it pop out).

No matter what i try plugging into it the sound keeps playing through the treos speaker, I tried 3 different kinds of headphones and also tried to the Aux in on my stereo system.

I also have a innodock with the audio coupler, tried it, so it's not a impedence issue. I don't even know if I'll be shipping it back, too much hassle for a $10 piece of plastic.
    Last edited by uluru; 10/16/2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by uluru
    I just recieved the Seidio adapter that was inspired by this thread and I'm horribly dissapointed, it doesn work AT ALL. The fit is really bad but it still plugs in(the slightest bump makes it pop out).

No matter what i try plugging into it the sound keeps playing through the treos speaker, I tried 3 different kinds of headphones and also tried to the Aux in on my stereo system.

I also have a innodock with the audio coupler, tried it, so it's not a impedence issue. I don't even know if I'll be shipping it back, too much hassle for a $10 piece of plastic.
    Please send me your order# so I can look into it

David Chang
    dsc@seidio.com
    Hi Seidio guy if you are listening.

I just ordered the adopter but I would love to have one that let me recharge at the same time.

My 2.5mm earphone plug rapidly deteriorated from "need to touch it once in a while" to "can not output any sound if you don't keep the earphone and the search key depressed like you want to crash it!" in a few days. What a piece of garbage junk! I even ordered the freaking 2.5->3.5 adopter just a few days ago, and I still haven't received it! Now I don't know if I want to return the order when I get it.
    Well....after reading this thread while contemplating buying headphones for my 650, I've decided to keep using my ipod for tunes

My Treo is running like an absolute champ, rock-solid, and all working well. Given the issues with the built-in jack, I'm not willing to take the risk of the thing going bad, then having to contend with a messed up Treo that might have speaker cut-out ect.

I was looking forward to using a headset with a built in mic to integrate phone and tunes......but I guess I'm too chicken
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
  6. MMT
    I'm looking for someone to help beta test my adapter. If you are in the US and use your Treo for playing music a lot and have normal (3.5MM plug) headphones, PM me. I will choose from whomever replies within the next couple of days. If there's a lot of interest I may make more adapters for testing (I only have two right now, and one's already going to another tester).

I'm mainly interested in finding out how it works when carried in a pocket. The adapter stays on the phone just fine, but it is possible to break the electrical connection by wiggling the adapter in the right way and I want to know if this is a problem during real-world use.

I don't think my current design will work well with a Treo in a case because it's a pretty tight fit. For this reason, I'm looking for someone who doesn't normally use a case and just carries their Treo in a pocket most of the time.
  7. MMT
    Thanks to all who responded and offered to help test my adapter. I've picked a person so I don't need any more offers at this time. Hopefully I will get parts to make more adapters soon. If/when I do, I may ask for help again.
    Oh great. The Serdio adopter just killed my Treo.

I received the package today. Tried it and worked ok, except you have to put in really hard to get it working. I went out for a drive, came back home, tried to make a phone call. NO SOUND!! I turn on the speakerphone, worked; turned off the speakerphone, still no sound.

I tried to plug in the earpiece, worked. Well earpiece doesn't work very well, that's why I buy this adopter in the first place. I think this adopter pushed in one of those pins now my treo think my mike is pluged in so it doesn't use the regular internal earphone.

I just tried a hard reset, doesn't work either. Wow this is great. I am properly f***ed. Any one has suggestion as to what to try next. I swear to god once I get it working I will never use any of these adopter and 2.5 phone jack again.
    I called Palm and have to send back to repair it. Talk about nightmare.
  10. MMT
    Very sorry to hear about your troubles. You were using the Seidio adapter that goes in the multi-connector on the bottom, not into the headphone jack, right? It may not matter much now, but it would be interesting to know exactly what went wrong. The multi-connector adapter should have three pins, and you should be able to compress them slightly. If for some reason you can't compress them, then this may be the reason for needing to use a lot of force to attach the adapter and may be why things broke. The strange thing is that the multi-connector has no physical switch to detect when something is attached, unlike the headphone jack which does have a physical switch. The multi-connector senses electronically when a headphone adapter (or whatever) is attached; remove the adapter and the multi-connector shouldn't be sensing its presence because there's no electrical resistance for it to gauge. The headphone jack, on the other hand, has a physical switch which could be damaged by an improperly shaped plug so that it thinks a plug is inserted even when not.
  11.    #91  
    I bought the Seidio adapter also. It is a piece of junk. It didn't work at all for me. It connected to the Treo OK, but no sound out of the jack. The audio jack connector is poor quality, you don't get the sense that the plug is seated in it at all. What a waste of time and money.

To anybody reading this, don't bother with this product. At best it won't work and it worst, apparently, it will break your Treo.
    ...and all this misery could have been avoided if only palm had put in a 3.5mm jack to start with! i just hope that the next treo has one... and i'm hoping this to be on a 700p, which itself doesn;t seem to be anything more than wishful thinking... :sigh:
    So the seidio adapter is a no go it seems.

If anyone bought that other serial port stereo adapter from ebay (see post #38/39), can they chime in and let us know about their experience with it? eg, how well it fits? I cannot seem to find any more of them for sale.

Otherwise hopes are pinned on MMT's experimental adapter and that he is willing to take orders in the future for them...
    I caved in and bought an adapter and tried it a few times.........read this thread again......the tucked the adapter into the sock drawer and pulled the ipod back out.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Quote Originally Posted by guinnessdraught
    I bought the Seidio adapter also. It is a piece of junk. It didn't work at all for me. It connected to the Treo OK, but no sound out of the jack. The audio jack connector is poor quality, you don't get the sense that the plug is seated in it at all. What a waste of time and money.

To anybody reading this, don't bother with this product. At best it won't work and it worst, apparently, it will break your Treo.

I'm sorry to hear your experience was not what it should have been. We had good findings during testing or would not have released it. If you'll PM or email me your order number and/or contact information, we will work out a refund or replacement product of some kind for you. We certainly don't intentionally try to release products that will cause damage. Again, I'm sorry your experience wasn't positive and we will most definitely take another look at the adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by patord
    So the seidio adapter is a no go it seems.

If anyone bought that other serial port stereo adapter from ebay (see post #38/39), can they chime in and let us know about their experience with it? eg, how well it fits? I cannot seem to find any more of them for sale.

Otherwise hopes are pinned on MMT's experimental adapter and that he is willing to take orders in the future for them...
    If you check out the feedback for that adapter on Ebay, the buyer left a positive feedback and commented that it works great. Wish there was more since the seidio doesn't seem to be any good.
    how about a adaptor to go from 2.5mm to rca gold plated
    Quote Originally Posted by MMT
    I've been wanting the same thing. In fact, I bought a couple of universal connectors from the Palm developer parts store online with the intention of making such an adapter. Unfortunately, they are totally bare-bones and will require manufacturing some kind of cover to hold the connector and the headphone jack. I'm not sure how to do that. I've thought of two things: make it from wood, like others here have done with homebrew cradles, or make it from epoxy resin that is poured into a mold. Anyone have mold-making skills??
    I've attached a photo of the adapters I have.
    HI MMT,

We are devloping another new tooling for this. Besides Headphone jack, what else functions will you like to see ?

1) Headphone jack (3.5 mm)
    2) Charge function
    3) Sync function

Anythings else ? How about form factor ?

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com
  19. MMT
    I think that providing a mini-USB jack along with the 3.5MM headphone jack would be ideal. That way you could charge and/or sync with just one jack, and keep the entire adapter small. Are you planning on making the design similar to mine (wide and short), to minimize the height of the adapter? If so, I'd like to suggest that you make it fit very closely to the contours of the Treo bottom to minimize movement when attached. The problem I'm encountering with mine is that it's possible to interrupt the audio connection on accident if the adapter is bumped in just the right way. What you really want is something that's contoured like the slot of a cradle to fit the profile of the Treo exactly and make physical contact with the Treo all the way out to the ends of the bottom on both sides. I'm not sure how to do this with my rather primitive molding technique, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
    Well after trying numerous hybrid headsets, including a Motorola and BodyGlove sets with 2.5mm plugs that really didn't work, sound only came out of 1-earbud. I ordered the Seidio over the ear headset. I ordered from the website when the photo specifically showed a non-retractable cable. What I got was a retractable set. The buds really didn't stay in, and the retractable thing added extra unwanted weight on the cable that would flop around if I would have used it for jogging but I never really used the set. So I'm trying to return that, so far 3-calls to Seidio, but no return email with RMA details.

In the end I bought the original Palm Treo hybrid headset and a set of Jabra eargels. The headset works well though the earbuds definately have limited range. The volume is good, the headset works for music and very well for the phone, which cuts out pTunes when it rings, as I hang up via the inline switch the music comes back on. I've done a 10-miles with this set-up and the buds stay in my ears and the Jabra plastic coverings will hopefully stop the buds from getting clogged and wet and so extend their life. The good news for using this set is it has a 2.5mm plug, no adapter needed.

I was able to get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm plug adapter. This means I'm back to a single headset to carry around. Best result would be if I could get an adapter that would take the Palm 2.5mm plug and convert to two 3.5mm plugs one for stereo headphone output and the second for microphone input on my laptop. Using this set-up I'd then have a single headset for mobile phone, music on the move, laptop music and voip/skype.