1.    #1  
    Is there any type of device that will allow music to be played from the Treo directly through a factory installed car sound system? I have a Ford MAC 300 system in my Mariner. I already bought the Seido FM transmitter and don't care for the audio qulity in that hook up. I would prefer to go direct or through Bluetooth.

Thanks!

Will H.
    Yea...I'm planning on writing a review tomorrow on a fairly quality answer to your needs.

I got the cradle I've been waiting for today and replaced the microphone and it sounds good. I just need to figure out how to mount it when I wake up tomorrow and then I'll show pics, include accessories/tools needed, and give step-by-step guide.

It should be around shortly after noon tomorrow if not before.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheine
    Is there any type of device that will allow music to be played from the Treo directly through a factory installed car sound system? I have a Ford MAC 300 system in my Mariner. I already bought the Seido FM transmitter and don't care for the audio qulity in that hook up. I would prefer to go direct or through Bluetooth.

Thanks!

Will H.
    A lot of it depends on your car. I just did exactly this with my ''99 BMW 323i. It was prewired for a CD changer in the trunk, so I went to Crutchfields.com and bought a device that connects to the CD Changer cable and allows you to feed two stereo lines into it. These two lines are translated on the head unit to Disc 6 tracks 1 and 2.

I then bought mounting hardware from ProClipUSA that simply clips into my trimwork. It is amazing how tight of a fit it is. I also got the cradle from ProClipUSA because I really didn't care for how Seidio's looked.

All told I think I spent about $120 which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $600 or so BMW wanted to stick a 6 disc changer in the trunk.

The big trick is finding the way to get a stereo input into your sound system. A low-tech option is one of the fake audio tape adapters typically used by CD walkmans. I agree the FM transmitter ideas have low fidelity and are problematic if you travel a lot.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to the last two posts for giving me some hope that I will be able to do this. Please let me know how it is working on a scale of 1-10. Any kind of detailed steps would be very helpful to many Treoians!

Will H.
    My fault...I've mentioned in a handful of threads that I was going to post results of this. I was expecting them to find it in the accessories section whenever the mods decided to move it.

But here it is: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=92633
    Last edited by grndslm; 08/08/2005 at 02:20 AM.
    Thanks to the last two posts for giving me some hope that I will be able to do this. Please let me know how it is working on a scale of 1-10. Any kind of detailed steps would be very helpful to many Treoians!

Will H.
    Easily a 10 for my setup. I looked at the other post, and while it is very informative, I personally prefer the appearance of my solution. Granted you don't get the microphone, but I am using a bluetooth headset (Sony HBH-660) that works great.

Maybe I will try and snap picture of it.

As far as keeping the screen on, Pocket-Tunes has this option. Plus it supports the 5-way pad which is very convenient for driving.

Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrooker
    Here are some pictures:

http://crookers.com/DSC08213.JPG

http://crookers.com/DSC08218.jpg

http://crookers.com/DSC08226.JPG

Sorry about the quality, but the lighting in the garage isn't the best.
    I bought a dongle at Radio Shackk that plugs into the speaker jack and broadcasts to one of four FM stations. 15$ and works fine for me. And it works in the house, in the office, in bars/././
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrooker
    Easily a 10 for my setup. I looked at the other post, and while it is very informative, I personally prefer the appearance of my solution. Granted you don't get the microphone, but I am using a bluetooth headset (Sony HBH-660) that works great.

As far as keeping the screen on, Pocket-Tunes has this option. Plus it supports the 5-way pad which is very convenient for driving.

Britain
    I definitely like the looks of yours better. But I don't think mine looks all that bad....if I found a better way to wrap the mic wires up besides electrical tape and spray painted the case black or grey, it'd look pretty dern cool.

But the convenience of my setup is friggin' awesome. You just set it in and bam it's already been plugged into the car speakers and it's charging. You also don't have to fool with the bluetooth headset which is a good $70+ alone...prolly more for decent/good ones. I guess if you've already got the bluetooth setup, either way would work, but the cradle is soooo convenient. Mounts are a PITA.

I didn't know that PTunes had the screen option too (I don't remember the options that much since the quality with AeroTunes is better...I'm gonna do another comparison in my car to see if it's still that apparent), but Aeroplayer also has 5-way support. I wish they'd use the Up-Down arrows for scrolling instead of volume. If you have a skin with PTunes that allows you to see a decent list of 7 or so songs (i.e.- the winamp skin), can you use the Up-Down buttons to scroll or is it only for volume also?
    Last edited by grndslm; 08/08/2005 at 03:11 PM.
    I would prefer to go direct or through Bluetooth.
    I too have been disappointed in FM transmitters. I've used an iROCK and a Belkin with very disappointing results.

Since the stereo system in my 9 year-old Infiniti does not have any aux. inputs, I'm seriously thinking of using an hard-wired "FM Modulator". At $15-40, they are pretty cheap and far more reliable than an FM transmitter. The FM Modulator interfaces between the FM antenna cable and the FM antenna’s input into your stereo.

Rick
    I wonder if there's a significant variance in the quality of the various FM transmitters. I've been thinking about getting one myself, but now I'll probably see if I can read some reviews somewhere first.

The reason for my curiosity is that just a few weeks ago my next-door neighbor was showing me his new transmitter (forgot which brand/model it was) using his iPod through his Dodge Durango's premium system.

I'm a musician & and consider myself to be somewhat of an audiophile and it sounded pretty good to me. It certainly sounded at least as good as a standard FM radio station; plenty good for cruising down the highway.

Anybody had good results with one of these?

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I use this one:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...de=FTIS3B%2DWH

The thing is: If there is normal FM radio interference, it will also interfere with this unit.

There is a Cingular tower near where my wife works, and all FM radio get artifacts within a half mile of there. This device is better than the regular FM radio stations when in that area, but the interference is noticable.

When driving near any FM radio tower, its obvious.

Overall, its a very nice unit, and compared to regular FM radio in my area, it rocks!