View Poll Results: Does TomTom Nav 5 make good routing choices?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. I'd let it drive if it could!

7 70.00%
  • No. I ignore its suggestions for most of the trip, until I get close to the destination.

3 30.00%
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    In the Philadelphia area, at least, TomTom has an incessant preferance for slower streets with traffic lights, and will often suggest getting off the highway a few exits early and taking local roads. Even on local roads, it suggests slower, traffic-light laden roads, rather than speedier local thoroughfares, and today it wanted me to get off the southwest road I was on, in favor of a much slower residential pair of roads making a LONGER right angle. "Avoid Highways" is turned off.

I've used MS-Streets and Trips 2005 and Routis 2004 and they both have generated excellent directions, that usually match my choices and get me there fastest. Why is TomTom giving poor instructions? Does everyone have this problem? Do their other devices do this too? Is there a way to fix this? Any way to use Navteq maps with TomTom?

Who likes TomTom's routing choices?
    For me, there seems to be a tendency to use more improved roads (state highways, etc.) which is normally good. These tend to have more traffic control devices and carry more traffic at peak times so they are not always the best choice. However, while I may be able to select a slightly quicker route, I trust TomTom to get me there when I don't have insider information.
    Well, Amarillo Texas it seems to insist that I go the wrong way down a one-way access road along I-40. Our access roads have never been two way roads. Plus, it likes for me to take alleys to get to my house. Since I know the area and it will recalculate if you don't make the turn it suggests, it's not a real problem. But, when I go off to a large unfamiliar city, I wonder what to expect.
    I've had one experience when it tried to send me the wrong way down a one way road. I imagine that is one of the more difficult issues to QC in a road database. Actually I've been impressed with the way it recognizes divided roads with limited opportunities for left or U turns. At least you don't have congestion or traffic signals in the alleys....
    I've had "wrong way" issues as well but the TomTom in my experience is far better than most. YMMV.
    its worst guess is 99% better than my best opinion. the wrong way down a one-way street hasn't happened to me -- the single most frustrating thing to me is that occasionally, the first time it calculates a route while i'm on the road, it will produce confident directions that lead nowhere near where I am going. for that reason, if i'm in unfamiliar territory I sometimes punch in the directions a second time, just to confirm.

i have also found that it gets very wacky around the parts of New Jersey near the gas tanks not far from the NYC crossings but I assumed this was some sort of security intervention in satellite coverage.

all in all -- and despite one of the worst upgrades i've ever had to endure -- TomTom is a life-changingly awesome application as far as i'm concerned, it's saved me countless hours. once you get it working, the features on the latest version are great. (well, except for the Contacts, but that's another story)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I've had one experience when it tried to send me the wrong way down a one way road. I imagine that is one of the more difficult issues to QC in a road database. Actually I've been impressed with the way it recognizes divided roads with limited opportunities for left or U turns. At least you don't have congestion or traffic signals in the alleys....
    You are correct about the alleys. I have yet ran into a stop light. I just had to move over to let someone else pass.

I will say, even with the one-way and the allleys, it is by far the best software that I have looked at for use with Palm and GPS. I have the BlueLogger GPS and they connect instantly. I tried using the Delorme Street Atlas for Handheld and if you did not map your route on the PC first it was virtually worthless. TomTom is by far a better app for navigating.
    I have heard that you can not create a route across multiple region maps. Has anyone tried and been successful? Or how did you work around this issue?