Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    If you could find a way either using adobe of picsel library to let us open pdf's we recieve via e-mail you would be even more unstoppable.

I'd pay extra for the pdf library if it cost you...
    Sprint 700p
    You wouldn't be able to use the adobe reader.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Why can't you just save the attachment to the card and open it with Picsel?
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Why can't you just save the attachment to the card and open it with Picsel?

because you cannot BUY picsel and it isn't 100% as a 'copy' anyway.

you might be able to have adobe let you use a library is what i was inferring, obviously you can't use reader or this wouldn't be an issue...
    Sprint 700p
    I think it would be wrong for me to support unlicensed software.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    If you could find a way either using adobe of picsel library to let us open pdf's we recieve via e-mail you would be even more unstoppable.

I'd pay extra for the pdf library if it cost you...

You can do that right NOW!!

Just use a file extension manager like Resco, Receiveit etc to assign Picsel to pdf file types! That way you can set Picsel to automatically open pdf from attachments. In fact, Picsel should automatically assoc the file types anyway...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'm saying license it.
    Sprint 700p
    I've tried to contact them a few times, and I've never received a response.

Marc
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Hey Marc, why is there no pdf reader for the Palm? Is there something about the Palm OS that makes it difficult to do? I would think that programming a pdf viewer for the palm would be as easy as the other document readers
    I have no idea; it's a glaring oversight, IMO.

Marc
    Receive PDF email attachments and view them on your wireless PDA!

NOW IN COLOR TOO. GOTO HTTP://WWW.PDF2PDA.COM

Works on Treo 600/650, most color Blackberry models, and more. No additional handheld software or desktop software required*.

New Release of PDF2PDA- August 23rd 2005
    Cook Consulting Services, Inc. is proud to announce the formal release of PDF2PDA, now with color support. With PDF2PDA, you can now view full color PDF email attachments on the most popular wireless handhelds, no strings attached. This is a completely wireless solution. No additional handheld software or desktop software is required*. This solution supports any PDF and all mobile email applications that support jpg attachment downloading and viewing.
    Evaluate PDF2PDA for 5 days for free. After evaluation, buy a PDF2PDA 1-year service subscription for $40 USD for the individual.

Extra Discounts/Features available for Business Customers.
    GOTO http://www.pdf2pda.com/

Google Terms:
    View PDF on Blackberry. PDF Viewer for Blackberry. PDF Viewer for Treo. PDF Reader for Blackberry. PDF Reader for Treo. Acrobat Reader for Palm OS. Acrobat Reader fro Blackberry. Acrobat Reader on Treo. Acrobat Reader on Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by cookjeremiah
    Receive PDF email attachments and view them on your wireless PDA!

NOW IN COLOR TOO. GOTO HTTP://WWW.PDF2PDA.COM

Works on Treo 600/650, most color Blackberry models, and more. No additional handheld software or desktop software required*.

New Release of PDF2PDA- August 23rd 2005
    Cook Consulting Services, Inc. is proud to announce the formal release of PDF2PDA, now with color support. With PDF2PDA, you can now view full color PDF email attachments on the most popular wireless handhelds, no strings attached. This is a completely wireless solution. No additional handheld software or desktop software is required*. This solution supports any PDF and all mobile email applications that support jpg attachment downloading and viewing.
    Evaluate PDF2PDA for 5 days for free. After evaluation, buy a PDF2PDA 1-year service subscription for $40 USD for the individual.

Extra Discounts/Features available for Business Customers.
    GOTO http://www.pdf2pda.com/

Google Terms:
    View PDF on Blackberry. PDF Viewer for Blackberry. PDF Viewer for Treo. PDF Reader for Blackberry. PDF Reader for Treo. Acrobat Reader for Palm OS. Acrobat Reader fro Blackberry. Acrobat Reader on Treo. Acrobat Reader on Blackberry.
    That may be a viable solution, but I think the question is why doesn't Palm have a reader that is in the ROM? An app developed by Palm, so the average user doesn't have to hunt and peck on the internet in search of a .pdf reader. Native support of .pdf files would make the average user's life much easier.

Just my opinion, of course.
    You would think something like native pdf support would be a huge sell for PDA's and smartphones. especially with the smaller screens and the ability to zoom in with PDF's.

My only hypothetical guess is that Adobe did a horrible job with the PDF architecture that it requires too much horse power (CPU) to run natively on PDA's and smartphones. Or there are licensing issues that need to be worked out. Palm isn't a stupid company. If it was possible, they would have had one out with their newer models. Even Adobe's acrobat for palm can't read PDF's natively so I think it is an issue with CPU's. There are a lot of issues with PDF's (embedded fonts, graphics, etc) that weigh into all this. I'm not sure how Piscel browser does it, but it probably isn't converting/reading the PDF's natively.

just my guess.

PDF2PDA (and all the other variants like it) is something I am not interested in. I don't feel comfortable sending potentially crucial data to a 3rd party. I wouldn't want to risk my job in case something went wrong.
    The issue is more with memory than horsepower, as it turns out.

Marc
    pdf2pda is a viable solution. I have used it for a while now and it works perfectly. Super simple and super fast. I receive graphic intensive PDF's on a regular basis and pdf2pda converts them without a problem. I simply open up the color jpegs that the service sends back and they look great. I can pan and zoom, all graphics appear properly, I couldn't be happier. I think this is the solution we have all been waiting for. I would suggest that you sign up for the free 5 day trial. It really is quite useuable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    The issue is more with memory than horsepower, as it turns out.

Marc
    this is why I'm not a programmer
    PDF2PDA may be a viable solution, but I agree with trowa - I would never feel comfortable sending my information to a 3rd party.

And $40 bucks for a 1 yr subscription? Not going to get it from me...