Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I've been a Sprint PCS customer for 8 years, but the $199 for a Treo 650 got me to bite. And since it's Sprint's network, which I know works everywhre I want it to, I figured why not try it.

So last week, I order the 650 off Earthlink's Website. Get an order Acknowledgement, but then nothing. Till this weekend when I get billed for activation and then for my service plan for the month. NOTHING at all about the phone itself shipping. I finally Tuesday of this week, contact a person at ELNK, and find out it is enroute, and get a tracking #. W00t! So Yesterday it shows up at home, and I am all excited, so I unpack it, charge it, and call in to activate.

Well first, they get my Acct #, and S/N, and then tell me I can have an area code in Northwest Missouri (660) - I live in the Atlanta GA metro Area, so I refuse this and tell them they are mistaken, that is not an area code for Atlanta. THE GUY ACTUALLY TELLS ME I AM WRONG! I have lived in Atlanta for 25 years so I know darn well 660 is NOT a GA area code. Sheesh.

NEXT it turns out the phone THEY SHIPPED ME does not have its ESN in their database, so 24 hours later I AM STILL WITHOUT a working PHONE or even an assigned number. Supposedly it's been "escalated".

This is a new Wireless company that is trying to cater to the high end of the Wireless market (they only sell the 650 and the blackberry) and this is how they work?!?!

Luckily they're on Sprint's network, so when they go belly up, we'll be able to use our phones there.

Anybody else had better luck?
    I had the same bad expierences with those clueless clowns. It's a shame that such a good product is screwed up by so many ignorant people at EarthStink...

I moved to Verizon and all has been Great since day 1!
    Quote Originally Posted by jleggett

Well first, they get my Acct #, and S/N, and then tell me I can have an area code in Northwest Missouri (660) - I live in the Atlanta GA metro Area, so I refuse this and tell them they are mistaken, that is not an area code for Atlanta. THE GUY ACTUALLY TELLS ME I AM WRONG! I have lived in Atlanta for 25 years so I know darn well 660 is NOT a GA area code. Sheesh.
    Given Earthlink is an Atlanta based company it is pretty sad to hear this.

This means the person helping you could not have been local.
    Actually, I don't think Earthlink IS an Atlanta company. Mindspring was, and was a great ISP, but they got swallowed by Earthlink.....sadly, for the worse.

I was wrong.....apparently they took over the Mindspring corporate site.

No, right after all....headquarters in Pasedena, California.....
    Last edited by TriangleRocks; 08/05/2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=ELNK

Earthlink Inc
    1375 Peachtree Street
    Atlanta, GA 30309
    Ok, didn't check the date of the press release I found.....1997....apparently they DID move their headquarters when they merged with (read: acquired) Mindspring.

I've been with Mindspring/Earthlink for years (about 8) and Earthlink is pathetic in comparison to Mindspring. It was a sad day when that merger took place.

And most Earthlink support is in India. Which is part of the problem.
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    can someone with an earthlink treo PM me the link that the "InstallTotal access" application sends you too. I'm curious as all get out to try it on my treo.
    Does anyone know if the Earthlink phone can be activated for use with a SprintPCS account? I'm a longtime Sprint user but the cheapest I can get the phone from them is $450 (after the $150 rebate). The Earthlink phone is at OfficeMax this week for $299 - it also has a $100 rebate if I sign up with them, but I would rather forego the $100 and stay with Sprint.
    if so that would be one of the best deals on a cdma/sprint treo650 ...
    Apparently their website designers couldn't decide between the Cingular Treo and the Unlocked GSM.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garybx
    Does anyone know if the Earthlink phone can be activated for use with a SprintPCS account? I'm a longtime Sprint user but the cheapest I can get the phone from them is $450 (after the $150 rebate). The Earthlink phone is at OfficeMax this week for $299 - it also has a $100 rebate if I sign up with them, but I would rather forego the $100 and stay with Sprint.
    I am 99.9% sure that $299 price at Office Max requires you to open an Earthlink acct and sign at least a 1 year contract. HOWEVER, I do know a co-worker here took that ad to a SprintPCS store and they matched the price. I wish I had known that.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd
    can someone with an earthlink treo PM me the link that the "InstallTotal access" application sends you too. I'm curious as all get out to try it on my treo.
    Won't do you any good, you have to auth to Earthlink to use it.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    so the phone has to be on their network to use it?

Or does it just look for a valid earthlink email address with password?

THe setup screens make it look like you just need an email and password, but i'm afraid maybe they hard coded the network stuff?
    I just bought the Treo 650 for $299 from OfficeMax, which is advertised with a $150 rebate. When I was rung up, I got TWO rebate coupons from OfficeMax: one for $100 & one for $150. That means I can get the phone for $50. However, each rebate wants the ORIGINAL upc code from the box. I get the feeling, only the $150 rebate coupon is valid. (so, I get the phone for $150).

The salesgirl told me I could use it with Verizon..but you're saying no?

I would really like to use this phone on either SprintPCS or Verizon. I like the unlimited picture-emailing plan that SprintPCS has (Verizon has like 40 picture emails, then charges any additional after that quota). I understand the Treo 650 cannot support the EVDO capability that Verizon offers.

I would also like the DUN (Dial Up Network) capability..can this phone get the Firmware which supports DUN? I already have a Cingular Treo 650, which I *unlocked* & put in upgraded firmware to get DUN.

Has anyone been able to get this "Earthlink" phone working on SprintPCS? (& get the $150 rebate). From the above response, I think it's a no-go.

I guess it would be better to bring in the ad, & get SprintPCS store to match the price. (like the other person did).
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    apparently sprint only allows their phones to be activated, but i would guess you could fiddle with the rom to get it to work on verizon if you wanted.
    As far as I know you can only get the rebate if you sign up w/ EarthStink.
    I would return the phone ASAP and go with a real carrier and avoid the headaches of EarthStink. I had nothing but trouble with them, and they clearly show that they know Nothing about running a Phone service. (They ONLY use Sprint as a provider)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houdini7
    As far as I know you can only get the rebate if you sign up w/ EarthStink.
    I would return the phone ASAP and go with a real carrier and avoid the headaches of EarthStink. I had nothing but trouble with them, and they clearly show that they know Nothing about running a Phone service. (They ONLY use Sprint as a provider)
    turns out that $150 rebate is invalid (only good for purchases up to 7/26)..the cash-register flat-out made a mistake.

So, the net cost is $299 -$100 (rebate) = $199.

I guess I try to have a local SprintPCS store match that price.
    I couldn't find either rebate on OfficeMax's website searching for the SKU or name, "Treo." How did you find the $100 rebate. I have emailed OfficeMax and am still awaiting a reply. I may try to force the issue as they did promise me the rebates when I checked out. No reason they should renege later.

By the way, I'm not having any network problems with Earthlink and their prices can't be beat. $110 dollars for 2400 minutes is way better than anyone else. $20 for unlimited data also beats Verizon.

Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    I couldn't find either rebate on OfficeMax's website searching for the SKU or name, "Treo." How did you find the $100 rebate. I have emailed OfficeMax and am still awaiting a reply. I may try to force the issue as they did promise me the rebates when I checked out. No reason they should renege later.

By the way, I'm not having any network problems with Earthlink and their prices can't be beat. $110 dollars for 2400 minutes is way better than anyone else. $20 for unlimited data also beats Verizon.

Danny
    http://omximages.officemax.com/pdf/m...6507-27-05.pdf

[ start from http://www.maxmyrebates.com ]
    NOTE: the unlimited data plan has increased from $20 to $30.

I went to a SprintPCS store to try to activate the phone, but they couldn't. (it can't get activated over Verizon either). They told me 3 other people came in with Earthlink Treo 650's trying to do the same. This has been documented by other Internet threads:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/t124209...light=treo+650

At time of purchase, I asked the OfficeMax salesgirl *specifically* if this phone could be activated under Verizon..& she said yes. When I just tried to return the 650, they wouldn't take it back!! (the fine print on the receipt prohibits returns on PDAs..unless defective. even then, they will only replace it).

I figure since

- I was issued an invalid 2nd rebate coupon for $150 (erroneous date)
    - the box was already opened when I bought it
    - I was given false information

I can get the manager to override the policy & let me do a return.
    I can't believe they would pull the "no pda return" game. When I called Earthlink and told them I was concerned with the service and didn't want to sign up and risk the $175 cancellation policy they said there was no cancellation charges for the first 30 days. They said all I had to do to cancel the service was return the phone to Officemax. Sounds like OfficeMax and Earthlink need to talk.

Danny
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast