Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Inspired by this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...to_threadtools

I think it's pretty apparent that virtually EVERYBODY uses their Treo as their portable jukebox. What I wanna know is HOW you setup your Treo as a portable jukebox and what you do or do not like about it? I'm really interested in number 4 the most, as my pair of earbuds are starting to sound pretty crappy to me.

So my three questions for you are:

(1) From where do you buy/steal your music (classic cds,itunes,napster,real,yahoo,bittorrent,p2p)?
    (2) What app do you use for audio (aeroplayer,ptunes,real)?
    (3) What format is your music stored in (mp3,aac,wma,ogg,rax)?
    (4) What type of output setup/speakers do you have/use (headphones,earbuds,headset,hybrid,car cradle)?
    Last edited by grndslm; 08/05/2005 at 10:12 AM.
    RealOne.com
    RealPlayer
    RAX
    Powered Speakers at work
    Seidio 2n1 retractable combination headset for planes and lawn mowing
    This doesn't seem 650 specific to me. Probably would've been better in Treo General?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Im still using my iPod. What apps on the Treo will handle .mp4 (aac) files?
  5.    #5  
    (1) Old cds I ripped and several gigs of stuff I downloaded in the original Napster days. Once I filled my external hard drive I stopped downloading/buying new music. That can't go on forever and I realize that I do need new music and need to give credit where credit is due. Soon enough I'll either continue the classic buy and rip process so I can get the format I want and then pawn them off to friends, buy Replay Radio, and/or subscribe to the Yahoo Music Store. Prolly end up using the latter two solutions more often.

(2) Aeroplayer....great skins, great EQ, cheap (free if you use OGGs), and album art (although I haven't figured out how to embed album art in the songs yet). The only downwide to Aeroplayer is that it skips when you use Blazer, so I've finally purchased Xiino and I'm problem free now.

(3) OGG....half the size of MP3s with the same quality. I've used mp32ogg (a linux program) to convert part of my collection to oggs with ease. They sound great. Does anybody know of a free solution for Windows? Haven't found one yet.

(4) Currently I use the old L-shaped adapter with those cheapo Sony earbuds from Walmart. I'm trying to find a decent cradle that I can mount it to my car dash and play audio over my car's system, but I'm still looking/waiting for the FedEx guy. I really want a good pair of earbuds and headphones, tho...headphones under $100 especially.
    Last edited by grndslm; 08/05/2005 at 10:13 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This doesn't seem 650 specific to me. Probably would've been better in Treo General?
    Mmm....why do you fling poo in my direction?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Im still using my iPod. What apps on the Treo will handle .mp4 (aac) files?
    Aeroplayer will play AAC files after you convert the files with a program called JHymn (free). Aeroplayer's AAC license is $15.
    1. rip from cd, many borrowed from local library
    2. ptunes
    3. mp3 and wma (mix)
    4. Targus noise-cancelling headphone, nearly as good as the Bose at a fraction of the cost (50-60 us), can get from BestBuy online
    Y! Music Unlimited + PTunes 3.1 - 1 Million Songs for $4 a month...
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I really want a good pair of earbuds and headphones, tho...headphones under $100 especially.
    From another forum I frequent, the resident headphone expert recommended Sennheiser 497 headphones. I bought a pair, and I agree with him, they are phenomenal, for the price. Currently Amazon has them for, cough, $42.88.....

1) I'm an old-fashion guy. I buy CDs and rip them. Occasionally I download from wherever, and occasionally I'll borrow a CD. But if I like it, I buy it.

2) PocketTunes 3.1 either directly off the Treo or from my house via SlimServer.

3) VBR MP3.

4) the aforementioned Sennheiser 497 headphones for home, cheap Sony earclips for outside working and on the bus to work.....

-TR1
    Handspring Prism ---> PalmOne Treo650
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I used to use PocktTunes on the 650 for mp3 playback, but found it cumbersome to use and some of the buttons were too small to select without the stylus. Now I am using the included RealPlayer; it's simpler to use and has larger buttons. I also tried Kinoma's player for AAC compatibility, but that program is also overly complicated for playback use and also requires precise button taps.

The problem with using a Treo for audio playback is that there is no tactile feel whne you push a button on the screen, which means you have to lok at the thing to do anything. The iPod on the other hand can be adjusted on feel.

The Treo also suffers form distortion and stutters on playback when you do anything else on the Treo when listening to music. I'm using the Palm hybrod headset. While not great, it's decent enough. It does a pretty good job when handling calls; you hear conversations in both ears which is kind of neat.

I used to bring the 650 to the gym, but have gone back to the iPod. Sound quality is much better and it's much easier to navigate songs.

I would like it if there was an app that allowed usage of the main treo buttons for playback usage somehow. That would take careof the tactile feedback issue at least.
    So my three questions for you are:

(1) From where do you buy/steal your music usenet, cd's, mIRC
    (2) What app do you use for audio pTunes, Real
    (3) What format is your music stored in mp3, ogg
    (4) What type of output setup/speakers do you have/use Seidio 2-in-1 earbuds
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    1. Yahoo! Musind Unlimited; personal CD collection
    2. Pocket Tunes 3.1.1.
    3. WMA
    4. Palm Hybrid; cassette adaptor for car

I just gotta get some better earbuds/headphones but I really need the convenience of being able to answer the phone. Looking for suggestions in this thread.
    1) Limewire, winmx, torrents and iTunes occasionally

2) Ptunes

3) Mostly mp3 and acc

4) Hybrid headset on Treo and FM tuner to car stereo when driving...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Are you practicing to be a mod?
    Last edited by NRG; 08/05/2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Spelling :o
  16. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    (1) From where do you buy/steal your music (classic cds,itunes,napster,real,yahoo,bittorrent,p2p)?
    Mixture of any who walks into my house (I have alot of people over on the weekends) must insert a CD into my HTPC to be ripped down to the HDs, Kazaa, and music store.

(2) What app do you use for audio (aeroplayer,ptunes,real)?
    PTunes

(3) What format is your music stored in (mp3,aac,wma,ogg,rax)?
    Whatever it is it is.

(4) What type of output setup/speakers do you have/use (headphones,earbuds,headset,hybrid,car cradle)?
    Speakers: JBL OnTour, headphones: Palm Hybrid, and my home theater via adapter.

NOTE: Above mentioned products can be found cheaper elsewhere than where those links lead to.
    1. Bear Share
    2. Real
    3. MP3
    4. Earbuds, and sometimes jus out the back speaker of the Treo, pretty decent sound
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    1. WinMX and CDs
    2. Pocket Tunes
    3. MP3
    4. Maxell HP-550 Headphones w/ adapter for just bummin around. A Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter for the car. Powered Sony speakers for the bedroom.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sanovak3681
    4. Targus noise-cancelling headphone, nearly as good as the Bose at a fraction of the cost (50-60 us), can get from BestBuy online
    Just outta curiousity, which pair of headphones are you referring to?

These?
    OR These?

...or did I miss them altogether?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Are you practicing to be a mod?
    I was totally thinkin' the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast