1.    #1  
    I sync outlook contacts - over 2,000!, and use Snappermail and Datebook 5 (along with other purchased software). 650 is a real productivity enhancer for me.
    But I'm still frustrated because I want to have an enhanced phonebook that doesnt knock out the above functionality (dont want different calendar, email, phone interface if I can avoid it) but allows me to see company name, title, extension, etc when I scroll through my laboriously categorized list of people that I need to call.

Ideas??

FYI - if you want to use your treo in your office buy an antenna for your window and you can get rid of your desk phone.
    TakePhone is a MUST have app for your Treo. The interface is fantastic.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder
    TakePhone is a MUST have app for your Treo. The interface is fantastic.
    with all due respect to the takephone fans.... I dont want to change interfaces... I'm not a fan of takephone.

I want a better phonebook which brings added functionality JUST to the phonebook.
    Rich, after reading your initial statement (before reading your reply to Swider), my first impulse was to recommend Takephone. After reading your response I understand that you do not want a drastic change. I really don't think you can get the functionality you want and avoid the change to a new application (at least I'm not aware of anything that simply adds to the default phone book without forcing you to use a separate app). With that in mind, I too would suggest Takephone, it simply lets me search through contacts using almost any method I could possibly want. For instance, I can search and find contacts using names, company, title, city, note, keywords, custom fields, etc. Again, I do realize that you don't want to use Takephone if you can avoid it, but I don't know of any app that does this better than Takephone does. Hope you find what you're looking for!
  5.    #5  
    So... with such reasonable responses I just tried Takephone again....
    Unfortunately Takephone doesnt seem to let me sort contacts by Category (I categorize my contacts) so that I can determine who I need to call, etc. This sorting by category is the main thing that I am missing from the default palm phonebook as well as showing company name while scrolling contacts.
    Can you give us an example of what you mean by "Sort By Category" Are you asking to sort each category, personal, business, etc seperately?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Contacts5 PE or Beyond Contacts?
    Contacts5 doesn't have great 5 way support though but looks nice and you can show company name in your listing among other things.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    So... with such reasonable responses I just tried Takephone again....
    Unfortunately Takephone doesnt seem to let me sort contacts by Category (I categorize my contacts) so that I can determine who I need to call, etc. This sorting by category is the main thing that I am missing from the default palm phonebook as well as showing company name while scrolling contacts.
    Rich, I think I see what you mean by sorting by category. One way to do this in Takephone is to go to the Takephone "find" screen, you should then see a label that says "All." You should be able to click/move the 5-way to this label and change it to whatever category you would like to narrow your search to. Then, when you search in the "find" screen it will only list contacts that meet the criterion of being in that category. The one caveat to this is that I think the category will remain in whatever it was last left in, so you might have to remember to switch it back to "all." Bit of a work around, but it may work for you.

PS. If you do not see the "All" label in the "find" screen, it probably means that you have "show speed-dial if search empty" selected in the "find" section of Takephones preferences. Just deselect this preference and you should see the "All" label.
    Hi Rich,

When you ask for the "best" contact management solution for the Treo, you are actually looking for the "least bad". I also use Outlook with several hundred entries. Contact management is my top priority. I spent the first few months asking questions and testing software. The answer is that there is nothing that does it all.

My top criteria were: 1) Sorting by company name 2)Having a single entry fit into multiple categories 3)Attaching a picture to each entry 4)Assigning a different ringtone to each category.

In the end I settled for 1 and 2, and put 3 and 4 on the back burner. I use Chapura Keysuite. I know, you don't want all the calendar and task stuff... but you can install only the KeyContacts if you like. It costs $70 or so, but it might be worth it if it makes you work more efficiently. If you try the 30-day free trial, be sure to select "follow-up" from the action menu when you have a contact open. It sets an alarm that will ring when it's time to call that person. If you ignore it, it will be listed as a thing to do on KeyToday until you attend to it. If you find anything more effective for your needs, please post it here so we can all give it a try.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor
    Hi Rich,

When you ask for the "best" contact management solution for the Treo, you are actually looking for the "least bad". I also use Outlook with several hundred entries. Contact management is my top priority. I spent the first few months asking questions and testing software. The answer is that there is nothing that does it all.

My top criteria were: 1) Sorting by company name 2)Having a single entry fit into multiple categories 3)Attaching a picture to each entry 4)Assigning a different ringtone to each category.
    Thanks.
    Having gone thru the mess before of installing new conduits and what that can lead to... while I think this could be a fit, looking at the website again I dont see where I can view my contacts so that they include for instance first last name, phone and company. The key for me here is to be able to see the company name at the same time I see contact name and phone.
    I'm a treo power user with a lot of software...
    Unfortunately it seems that what would be a baseline good piece of software for someone to sell - a powerful uncluttered phone book for users - what is unfortunately more of a geek oriented programming community (hey guys - you gotta agree that this is true and not really a knock) just doesnt exist.
    FYI - I use dbook5 for calendar (excellnet if a too feature rich), card export, docs to go full version, pdanet, and what I consider a too valuable to pass up Snappermail as versamail isnt even close for the power emailer - so I dont mind buying software.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Rich, I think I see what you mean by sorting by category. One way to do this in Takephone is to go to the Takephone "find" screen, you should then see a label that says "All." You should be able to click/move the 5-way to this label and change it to whatever category you would like to narrow your search to. Then, when you search in the "find" screen it will only list contacts that meet the criterion of being in that category. The one caveat to this is that I think the category will remain in whatever it was last left in, so you might have to remember to switch it back to "all." Bit of a work around, but it may work for you.
    Thanks
    Unfortunately looking at this again, it seems to me that the contact view window doesnt allow for customziation - only first last name, not phone number, and not company name - so doesnt meet my goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichNY
    Thanks
    Unfortunately looking at this again, it seems to me that the contact view window doesnt allow for customziation - only first last name, not phone number, and not company name - so doesnt meet my goals.
    Hmm, I'm trying to figure out what you mean by this? TakePhone allows you to look up and sort people by first name, last name, phone number and company namen etc. When you look up a contact you can have takephone also show you the company name that contact belongs to. You do have to actually click on a contact name to see all of the phone #'s that belong to this contact, I'm not sure if this is what you mean? Don't get me wrong, Takephone may just not be for you, I'm just unsure if you find takephone lacking, or if you are just having trouble configuring it correctly.