Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This could possibly belong somewhere else, but I don't care.

Who here is using the paging service with Verizon?

My girlfriend's dad wants to get rid of his pager, but he said he called Verizon and they don't offer any paging software. I told him it wasn't a software it was a service (but I don't really know that much about it to begin with).

The only thing I've found was post #40 from this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=treo+pager

It seems that it's not a true paging service, where people dial a separate number and then dial their callback number. All I've gotten from searching is that patients must use email to your cell number for SMS capabilities.

The problem is he doesn't want to have his cell number passed out all over the place obviously. So...can any doctors in the house clarify how this works??? What's he supposed to ask the Verizon reps for? Is there a separate number used just for text messages that are forwarded to his phone? Patients can use a touchtone phone instead of email, right? If that's how it works, how much extra does it cost? Any pros/cons versus a dedicated pager?

Also, does this work with Sprint?
    I am a psychologist and I use my Treo 650 as a pager. I also don't give out my cell phone number. What I do, is forward my office phone to my cell phone. My voicemail instructs people how to leave an emergency page (which is nothing more than a text message that leaves their phone number). On Sprint, which I switched to) it is done by pressing #2 after the VM message. On Verizon it is done by pressing #5 (I did this on Verizon with my regular cell phone not a Treo). Then you get a page message on the Treo to "Please Call XXX-XXX-XXXX". Works well for me and I've gone from a pager and cell phone and a Palm to just the TREO. Gotta love it.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
  3.    #3  
    Are there any other suggestions as to doing this other than giving out his office number? Such as paying for another cell phone and using that number to forward to the Treo??

Any options of $10 or less/mo??

Also....I'm assuming that the "Please Call XXX-XXX-XXXX" is just the Caller ID. A patient couldn't leave a different call back number with a touchtone phone??

Thanks for all help.
    With VZW, when you get the voicemail prompt and hit 5 to enter a callback number, it asks you if "xxx-xxx-xxxx" (the number you are calling from using caller ID technology) is the one you want to use, but also prompts you with the option to enter a different number if you need to.

I think getting another, family-share phone and simply forwarding those calls would indeed be the most cost effective way of accomplishing your objective.

-jeff
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Why not get a Vonage account?
    If you have skytel etc, you can forward your pages to the Treo via TAPI:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=skytel+pager

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=skytel+pager

There are also various 3rd party unified messaging services that will let you forward numeric pages as sms messages to your Treo. This is a neat way to have Treo as both a pager and your cellphone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I found one for cingular, but nothing for verizon. $10 a month isn't bad at all. I'm a psychologist also, working at a med center now but may go into private practice in the next year, so this is going to be very handy should I go that route.
    I simply forward my office phone number (the number my patients call to get me anyway). They never know they are catching me on my cell or on my office and no one has my cell number. Once they call, they can either leave a VM (which I have set to notify me whenever I get a voicemail), or they can page me (to any number they punch in). I get notified of "messages" too. It is very handy. I just keep my ringer turned off and get voice mails/messages at my convenience (I don't want to be ruled by the phone, I want to rule it). If I am expecting a call, I put on my bluetooth headset. When it peeps, I look at the number on the Treo and answer it if its the person I'm waiting to hear from. This all works VERY well for me in my practice (and for my personal life as well...all in one).
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    I've been using uReach.com for two years. for $10 a month, I get a dedicated, toll-free number. Whenever someone calls to leave a message, I get an SMS to my Treo with their phone number indicated..
    Thanks Neill, I signed up with uReach for 6.99/month plus 10 cents per minute. Does anyone use software that automatically sends calls to voicemail to screen these calls?
  11.    #11  
    bumpin' the doc's last question up.....

and I'd also like to ask NRG what Vonage has to do with pagers??
    Neill
    How do you have it set to tranfer to SMS...is it automatic or do you ignore each call as they come in.
    When I tried to use the program "CallFilter" to transfer the calls from the uReach number to voicemail, the caller ID number is the original number who made the call, not the uReach number.
    Easy. My cell phone number is given to all our local hospitals and to my practice's answering service. They call my Treo cell phone and leave either callback number or text message (ans svc does e-mail text messages).

However, I wouldn't care if all the patients had the cell number directly, which they do if I call the patient on the Treo and they have caller ID. I leave my phone ringer off. Period. I do not take incoming calls. My Treo and all the phones I've had before it are for outgoing calls only. No one bothers me by having my cellphone number because it never rings, and thus no one ever calls. Honestly, even though patients get the number via caller ID, no one ever calls back directly.

-- Joshua Steinberg MD, Syracuse, Family Physician
    Check out www.numericpage.com

I've been using their service for 2 years. Cheap too.
    You can "Blocked ID" your cellphone during call back by putting *67 in front of the call back number. like *67,,1-XXX-XXX-XXXX The other party will show blocked caller id.
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch
    Neill
    How do you have it set to tranfer to SMS...is it automatic or do you ignore each call as they come in.
    When I tried to use the program "CallFilter" to transfer the calls from the uReach number to voicemail, the caller ID number is the original number who made the call, not the uReach number.
    There's a setting on the web interface of uReach to have your calls forwarded to sms: go to the Messaging page, and fill in the email field 10-digit phone@messaging.sprintpcs.com

What's wonderful is that the SMS gives me the patient phone number before I even need to retrieve the message
    Last edited by neill; 08/16/2005 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    It seems that it's not a true paging service, where people dial a separate number and then dial their callback number. All I've gotten from searching is that patients must use email to your cell number for SMS capabilities.

The problem is he doesn't want to have his cell number passed out all over the place obviously. So...can any doctors in the house clarify how this works??? What's he supposed to ask the Verizon reps for? Is there a separate number used just for text messages that are forwarded to his phone? Patients can use a touchtone phone instead of email, right? If that's how it works, how much extra does it cost? Any pros/cons versus a dedicated pager?
    If he's got an ISP account that allows for Email Forwarding, he can just setup a dummy email address and have it forward into the email for the Treo.

I.e. forward paging@mydomain.com to 5555555555@vtext.com - something like that.

Pamela
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    Neill
    I hate to be a bug, but I upgraded my uReach to the plus version, but my phone still will not automatically send the e-mail to SMS without manually ignoring the incoming call. Do you use the uReach voicemail, or do you use the cell phone's built in voicemail. Can you tell me specifically how you set up the SMS "Email". When I use the SMS setting, it does not allow an E-Mail address, If i use the E-Mail setting, it does not come through the SMS.
    Thanks.
    "This could possibly belong somewhere else, but I don't care."

Guess not...
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I was poking around the ureach.com site and while it looks like a nice service, I did not get the impression that it would chunk up SMS messages into multiple 160 character chunks. I am assuming that SMS is used just to receive short pages.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast