1.    #1  
    What's the best way to clear out garbage files that are left behind with deletions, updates, old downloads, etc.?

What files CAN be deleted?

Such as - what are all the 'ID' files such as MMID... and BLZ ID (from Blazer)...and asc3 ID files?

I have Uninstall Manager, FileProg and Cleanup - all of which work great - just not clear what'all can be deleted.

Thanks,

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / FW 1.31
    The absolute best way, bar none, is to do a hard reset and install all your desired apps from scratch. I am not about to do that myself, but it is the miost effective way.
    "STABLE BACKUP"

Hard reset your Treo and install your applications and perform your tweaking. You then immediately perform a backup. I use BackupMan. (call this your “stable backup”).

You are then free to install and delete programs as often as you like. When things get corrupted- simply hard reset and go back to your "stable backup".

If you find some settings or programs that you would like to permanently retain then simply do the following

1- Hard reset.
    2- Restore the "stable backup".
    3- Tweak and install the new “keeper” apps.
    4- immediately perform a new “stable backup” backup.

I find myself reverting
    back to my “stable backup” several times a week. I can absolutely vouch for BackupMan’s dead on accuracy to perform a perfect backup and restore every time.
    what about cleanup - www.northglide.com.

I don't use this program but am interested in hearing from people that do!!!
    If it works I'd get it ????

Never plan on using an uninstaller...but I'd be interested to know what others would recommend for a doctor (my girlfriend's dad) who can only manage to free up 2mb of ram. I'm not interested enough to search, tho, since it isn't my phone. I'm going to suggest to him that he make a custom ROM to save a couple more megs.

But for now, what can I tell him....Cleanup? Uninstall Manger? FileProg? Where's it at?
    Give us a list of his applications (in RAM and SD card). Maybe we can recommend some changes ...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Give us a list of his applications (in RAM and SD card). Maybe we can recommend some changes ...
    Will do! I've told him numerous times to come here for any answers he needs...but he hasn't done it yet.

I'll make him sign up sometime this weekend whenever he's got some free time.
  8.    #8  
    I thought of doing the stable backup idea, but everything IS stable right now. I'm just mostly interested in just what the exact garbage files ARE.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile

Adobe Reader/Always On/BackupBuddy/Cetus GPS/Cleanup/Compass (GPS app)/Converter/Dataviz Tech Tool/Directory Assistant/Display Time/DocsToGo/Express (on SD card)/FileProg/Fly (GPS app)/IBM Java/Kmaps/MagicDogs (solitaire)/Mapopopolis/MinutesPlus/PowerRUN/pTunes/RealPlayer/SignalMeter/SoftReset/
    SplashBlog/TCPMP/TealScript/Tide Tool/TrafficStat/Uninstall/VolumeCare/WorldMate Pro
    Sounds like you could use ZLauncher to move some of those programs and their associated databases to SD card, that will free a load of ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by siriusbliss
    I thought of doing the stable backup idea, but everything IS stable right now. I'm just mostly interested in just what the exact garbage files ARE.

Greg

unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile

Adobe Reader/BackupBuddy/Dataviz Tech Tool/Directory Assistant/pTunes/SoftReset/
    TCPMP/
    These can be moved to the SD card. Others may too, I don't use or know them.
    In general, anything that doesn't run in the background, popping up alarma or changing the settings of the treo, or needing Hotsync can be moved to the card. With launchers like Zlauncher or Powerrun, even more can be moved to the card.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I had this problem recently and used BackupBuddy 2 to fix it.

1. Did a backup of my device with Backup Buddy.
    2. Hard Reset Device
    3. Hotsynced. My backup was restored but a newer backup was created first with just the standard Treo files.
    4. Hard Reset Device
    5. Hotsynced. Restored backup of just standard Treo files.
    6. In BackupBuddy I went back to my first backup and told it to Restore the programs I wanted (use the Restore Applications button to get all the files for each app). I also restored some dbs like my calllog and favorites.
    7. One of the programs I restored was PowerRun. I then went into power run and told it to recreate all shortcuts for programs in my SD Card.

I had to manually reset a few preferences and enter a few registration keys since I did not restore my savedpreferences. But it worked great! Before I was down to 3MB. I reinstalled ALL of the apps I had on the device and had 10MB Free! I had installed so many programs to test then removed them that there were all kinds of files left over!
    JayJ
    -----
    PalmPilot Pro ->
    Palm III ->
    Treo 270 ->
    Treo 650 ->
    Treo 755p ->
    Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I hate NVFS. I noticed that I had a 746K MIDI Rings file. So I went in and deleted a bunch of large midi rings that I dont use. Didn't free any space! I backed up and restored the file and it was using half the space!

Looks like a good idea is to simply hard reset and restore everyonce in a while as a kind of defrag for the NVFS file system.
    JayJ
    -----
    PalmPilot Pro ->
    Palm III ->
    Treo 270 ->
    Treo 650 ->
    Treo 755p ->
    Palm Pre Plus
    I use the Northglide software (Cleanup & Uninstaller) and they work great. The catch is that you have to install them before you install anything else. So when I got it, I did a hard reset, installed those first, then installed all my other software, one at a time. Now when I want to remove an app, I just use Uninstaller, and it will get rid of all the files that were installed with that particular app. It takes time, but to me, it's worth getting the job done right the first time around.
    I have 125 programs installed (this includes stock Treo apps). I have 12.4 MB free. 2.0 MB of the 12.4 MB are from my 161 email messages.

I use zLauncher and since the 1.12 update I stopped using a custom ROM. I have a 2gb SD card loaded with over 1,000 photos, some short video clips and my applications that run from SD card. I have 800MB free on the SD card.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I cant believe what a difference a hard reset and restore make! I did this and went from 5.8MB to 12.4MB free with the same files!
    JayJ
    -----
    PalmPilot Pro ->
    Palm III ->
    Treo 270 ->
    Treo 650 ->
    Treo 755p ->
    Palm Pre Plus