Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will be getting a 650 at the end of 8/05. Been reading these forums and you guys sound like you're speaking a different language...lol. But I am learning much.
    I am a real estate agent and am combining my Palm Zire PDA and cell phone with a Treo650, so I am somewhat familiar with OS apps (which is why I chose the Treo650 over the iPAQ 6315).

Okay, basic Treo650: Besides following the manual, what do you suggest I do or use to make my Treo effective for my job use? Software to accessories. As a RE agent, I spend much time in my car.

PC Magazine recommends Cingular Treo 650 over Sprint -- no mention of Verizon, so I am going with Cingular.

Can I use any non-essential apps on SD card only, as to not contaminant and my Treo and keep it bug-free? Like Tom tom GPS?

Please put your advice in Crayola terms!!
    First advice: Do a clean install of the applications instead of importing them from the Zire to the Treo. You don't have to (see links below), but that's how I'd do it..

After that, just install and use the 3rd party applications that you might have used on the Zire (after confirming with their author/publisher that they are compatible with Palm OS 5). That's the beauty of the Treo .. your old applications should work, minimizing the learning process.

Read

http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=7628
    http://www.palm.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=14403

for details.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I second the suggestion to start with a clean install of your current applications. Also, check out this link (http://www.palmfocus.com/treo650software.php) to ensure your existing apps are Treo 650 compatible and that you have the latest releases.

As far as which carrier, I'd suggest going with who you have for your cell service now assuming they offer the 650 and you are happy with the coverage area.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the tip! Other than my contact list, I have no vital apps I need to import. I like the idea of a clean import.
  5.    #5  
    Nextel doesn't DO T650's and I refuse to get the Blackberry.....yick!
  6.    #6  
    Since I have Palm Desktop already on my laptop due to my Zire, I see no reason why I cannot sync that info into my t650....yes? There are no 'apps' on the Desktop, just stock information such as contacts and calendar stuff.
  7.    #7  
    Crap, scratch that last one: just went to your suggested link and it says to use the Palm Desktop that comes with the T650. No biggee.
    I think the Treo uses a newer version of Palm Desktop. Make sure you install it (over the older one) from the CD supplied with the Treo.

After that, update the Outlook Conduit if you plan to use Outlook for your PIM functions on the PC.

Generally, always check for updates to all applications, Palm or 3rd party.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Get a program called Directory Assitant and Volume Care.

Directory Assitant is a FREE yellow and white pages for your Treo(assuming your getting a data plan)

Volume Care will make your earpiece volume loud and usable and also restore it to your settings when you reset it(wich you will be needing to do occasionally). It is still a great device, currently one of the best convergence devices available IMHO. Especially for biznass users. Now if you were a multimedia/internet lover I may say PPC is the way to go.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    With a Zire desktop previously installed, shouldn't he be able to use the voicepad and notepad from the zire and it sync with the already installed conduits?

Also when you get ready for email, I recommend Chatteremail.
    I recently moved from a clie to verizon treo and am very happy. I add my voice to the suggestion of the clean install rather then importing also several of my apps had updated "treo versions" and "readme" comments for treo workarounds. Check these out before installing. I didnt and had to spend a fair amount of time reinstalling newer vesions that were treo compatible.
    The book Now You Know Treo is excellent. I reviewed it here http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/549-1.htm
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by winginit
    Will be getting a 650 at the end of 8/05. Been reading these forums and you guys sound like you're speaking a different language...lol. But I am learning much.
    I am a real estate agent and am combining my Palm Zire PDA and cell phone with a Treo650, so I am somewhat familiar with OS apps (which is why I chose the Treo650 over the iPAQ 6315).

Okay, basic Treo650: Besides following the manual, what do you suggest I do or use to make my Treo effective for my job use? Software to accessories. As a RE agent, I spend much time in my car.

PC Magazine recommends Cingular Treo 650 over Sprint -- no mention of Verizon, so I am going with Cingular.

Can I use any non-essential apps on SD card only, as to not contaminant and my Treo and keep it bug-free? Like Tom tom GPS?

Please put your advice in Crayola terms!!
    I'm confused as to why nobody has chimed in on the Cingular over Sprint thing. If you are going to using a lot of data, Sprint has an unlimited data plan ($10) that is not comparable to other providers.
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfx
    With a Zire desktop previously installed, shouldn't he be able to use the voicepad and notepad from the zire and it sync with the already installed conduits?

Also when you get ready for email, I recommend Chatteremail.
    Yes. To both your conduit question, and your Chatter comment.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by jrider
    I'm confused as to why nobody has chimed in on the Cingular over Sprint thing. If you are going to using a lot of data, Sprint has an unlimited data plan ($10) that is not comparable to other providers.
    You'll get no arguements from me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Do research on which provider is the strongest in your area. I use Cingular (with an unlocked GSM) and love it. I travel everywhere from Alaska to New Mexico and have never had a problem with either voice or data. Edge data speed is a very cool thing.
    Yes, I picked Sprint's $10 over any other data package, from comps. It just makes sense
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Sprints unlimited data is $10 Cingulars is $20, that saves you $120 a year, not a big deal. Go with which ever has the best coverage in your area and which will give you the best d/l speeds. With cingular I get much better d/l rates than my friends with Sprint Treos.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Sprints unlimited data is $10 Cingulars is $20, that saves you $120 a year, not a big deal. Go with which ever has the best coverage in your area and which will give you the best d/l speeds. With cingular I get much better d/l rates than my friends with Sprint Treos.
    Now I don't know (unless EDGE is being used) how true this is.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Since when is data with Cingular $20?

Also, data rates also depend on your location. Sprint consistently gets AT LEAST 80kbps all over the country. Cingular will get 110+ in some areas where it drops down to 60 in others, and to the horrible GPRS speed of 30kbps in less populated areas.

Go with Sprint first...much better prices for data as well as voice. Try them out and if you like 'em, keep the phone past the 14 day trial period. Otherwise, get out as quickly as possible and move on to your next choice whether it be Cingular or Verizon. I personally would never use GSM carriers, nor would I use Verizon because of their outrageous prices....so I'm pretty much stuck with Sprint and extremely happy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast