Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    There are probably a variety of reasons that many users with a Treo choose to use Chatter e-mail. In general, there are 3 reasons that I decided to purchase Chatter even though I had previously purchased Snappermail (and was generally quite pleased with it).

1. Chatter e-mail is really designed with a Treo 600/650 in mind. You can really see this in the details. It brilliantly does almost everything in the background so you can do other things with your treo while it is syncing your e-mail. Cutting edge features like being able to move an e-mail to a folder (preexisting on your server) without having to first create that folder in chatter, and direct downloading of e-mail to the storage card are very nice.

2. A very responsive developer. I've never really had any problem with chatter, but this is very useful when you want to make a feature request. The developer will often times respond to your request (often affirmatively if it makes sense to him) within a very short time.

3. Stability- This is very important to me and I have nothing but praise for how stable Chatter e-mail has been for me (I use a cdma treo 650). Chatter comes in both a stable released version and also a beta version with more cutting edge features. I've found Chatter's betas to be so stable that I often times just use those.
    When you say Chatter works in the background and you can do other things w/the phone, do those "other things" also include actually BEING on the phone? i.e if I am on the phone w/someone and want to immediately send them an email, can I do this while I am talking to them? Or do I have to finish my call before sending an email out?

Chatter vs. Snapper vs. Versamail. I have VM now, it won't let me view images that come within emails (not as attachments).

Like the whole stability thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZTreo
    When you say Chatter works in the background and you can do other things w/the phone, do those "other things" also include actually BEING on the phone? i.e if I am on the phone w/someone and want to immediately send them an email, can I do this while I am talking to them? Or do I have to finish my call before sending an email out?

Chatter vs. Snapper vs. Versamail. I have VM now, it won't let me view images that come within emails (not as attachments).

Like the whole stability thing.
    In theory a GSM phone can do both.

CDMA phones can only do one or the other, so if you're on a call, you won't get any emails. Likewise with CDMA, if you're receiving a message and get a call, it's sent to voice mail. This would be the case no matter what software you used.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    In theory a GSM phone can do both.

CDMA phones can only do one or the other, so if you're on a call, you won't get any emails. Likewise with CDMA, if you're receiving a message and get a call, it's sent to voice mail. This would be the case no matter what software you used.
    Actually, GSM phones have the same limitation. It has to do with the networks. Data transmission blocks incoming calls. It's just that GSM phones switch data on and off faster than CDMA phones, so it looks more seemless. (The green data arrows on the GSM Treo never turn grey, thus giving the illusion that data and voice are happening at the same time.)

Technically, with either GSM or CDMA, on a Treo, you can be talking on the phone with someone and go into Chatter and compose an e-mail. If you hit send, it won't go anywhere until you hang up the call. That's not a limitation of Chatter. The carrier's network imposed that limitation.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    What do you mean, in theory? Either it does or doesn't, right?

I spent 2 weeks getting VM to work, and it finally does...
    The only thing I was interested in was whether or not there was another app that would support images within emails. According to Mark, Chatter will redirect you through Blazer to view those images. Other than that (from what I understand), there is no other way to resolve all those x's in my emails (and in everyone else's).
    A certain class of GSM phone (class C?) can transmit data while a voice call is in progress. Alas, the GSM Treo is not such a phone. If you try to send an e-mail from Chatter while on a call, it will sit in the outbox and Chatter will dutifully deliver it as soon as the call is completed. This is not a Chatter limitation, but a limitation of the Treo hardware and network technology. Nothing on a GSM Treo can transmit data (except SMS, I suppose) while a voice call is in progress.

I find the betas of Chatter to be very stable, even though they are *beta* versions. The official stable versions are rock-solid.

Marc is *the* most responsive developer I've ever dealt with. I've reported bugs in the beta only to have Marc send me a patched version within 15 minutes.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    A certain class of GSM phone (class C?) can transmit data while a voice call is in progress. ...snip....
    That's GSM Class "A"...and none of the carriers in the U.S. support it with less than a 3G solution.

The GSM Treo is GSM Class "B", meaning that it supports automatic voice and data switching, but not simultaneously. Class "C" requires manually switching between voice and data. No modern GSM phones require that.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    I am currently testing chatter.

Anyway to get rid of this lousy advert it adds to every outgoing message?

---------------------
    Sent with ChatterEmail
    True push email for the Treo Smartphone
    www.chatteremail.com
    In the SMTP settings you're using to send mail you can add your own signature line. This will replace the default Chatter advert.

Another option is to disable signatures in Preferences - Composing.

Pete
    Is chatter supposed to be able to GET my email in the background (or foreground)
    without me forcing it to?

If so, I have not been able to figure out a way to enable it.
    If you're trying to use SSL in the background you need the MatrixSSL package. (See www.chatteremail.com).

The built-in PalmOS SSL library won't work properly in the background.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Yes. How it works depends on what type of mail server you're connecting to (POP or IMAP), and if IMAP, whether or not it supports the IMAP IDLE feature.

Basically there are two ways: push from the server uning IDLE and what Chatter calls QSync - just a scheduled retrieval.

When you set up your account Chatter would have likely detected whether your server supported IDLE or not. Assuming it did not, you need to configure a scheduled retrieval. To do this, edit the mailbox in question, tick the box next to Offline and QSync every____ and specify every how many minutes to check.

Also, note the previous response regarding SSL.
    smcracraft - I happen to think it's a very nice advert!

Marc
    I tend to agree with the spirit and intention of the advert. Though I'm still using Snapper (only to view archived Snapper e-mails for now) it's more or less a great conversation starter for those who aren't into to those techie things. Also very helpful when one is on the job search, like I am!

BTW, when is Chatter going to offer FULL POP3 SD support? The reason I ask:
    Chatter v1.0.7b44
    * "Added preliminary SD card support for POP3 mailboxes."

Hoping its soon, as I'm chomping at the bit to either keep Snapper, get Chatter or somehow use both while I'm in transition.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smcracraft
    Is chatter supposed to be able to GET my email in the background (or foreground)
    without me forcing it to?

If so, I have not been able to figure out a way to enable it.
    Go into your SMTP settings and click on Signature. Hit the space bar 2x's and exit all the way back to your mailbox. Now the Chatter signature will be replaced with a Blank Signature. Or if you prefer, you can enter your own Signature.
    KevMeister - Soon, probably by Monday. I'm also lifting the mailbox limit for POP3 mailboxes to 2048 messages.

Marc
    Groovy. Is "2048 messages" talking about internal memory, SD card or both?
    Hmm... Neither, actually. It's 2048 messages in your mailbox on the server at sync time (and that restriction will probably be relaxed again).

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    At first Versamail was very unstable for most. However, I find 3.1B very stable. In addition, there is a 2MB download limit (not an issue for me). I like how Versamail has tighter integrated with the OS. That is to say, Versamail provides notifications in the phone and calendar apps (I think this us unique to Versa), better contacts integration (autocomplete), and background email checking (Snapper doesn't do this). Versamail is also FREE!
    Have Fun
    Just installed latest update for my T650, but still have VersaMail v3.0c. How do I upgrade to v3.1B? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden
    I've tried versa, snapper, and chatter. chatter wins. I use it with fusemail and have tried it with fastmail too. I prefer using it with fusemail. I get my hotmail faster and I get mail from various other accounts like google, yahoo, and I even have my personal domain set up. I liked the paid vs. of fastmail.fm but for me fusemail is the best choice. I use exchange IMAP for business. Chatter handles both my fusemail and exchange better than the rest.
    Geez...where have I been? Former Snapper user now with a couple of challenges with VersaMail and separate POP account for business email. What am I missing re:'fusemail', 'fastmail', and 'exchange IMAP for business'? I'm configured to fetch only unread mail for one day and alerts are turned off, but I keep getting error msg that 29 Unread Msgs can't be downloaded because of my settings....well, duh! I don't want them and I want the error msg even LESS.
    Thanks in advance for any tips.
    Anyone tired Aileron? I am using a trial version, seems pretty good. Could not get snapper to work.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast