View Poll Results: Did you experience problems installing TomTom 5?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everything went smoothly!

13 38.24%
  • I had a problem(s) upgrading.

8 23.53%
  • I had a problem(s) with a new install.

13 38.24%
  1.    #1  
    Some people have been reporting problems installing/upgrading TomTom Navigator 5. Perhaps it would be nice if we could learn how common this problem is...
    Last edited by tcc; 08/03/2005 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Thread title a bit misleading
    Had some initial hot sync problems and 2 of the map CDs were defective. Tomtom sent replacements and all seems to be fine now. Well, not quite as I still have a hotsync error regarding map overwrites but it doesn't affect the overall operation. Tomtom has promised an update for Palm OS systems. I like the program simplicity, 3D nav map and the compact GPS unit.
    I need to activate...Argh!!!! fix the damn ttcode website tomtom... how stupid!
    my daughter just got it over the weekend and it works great no problems at all downloading and registering the software
    You need to include additional questions for example:

* Trouble pairing with GPS receiver
    * Direction / Guidance Errors (wrong turn information or simply not announcing the turn)
    * Treo lockup upon receving or terminating a phone call

I've had the first two frequently - and note that I've used both the Fortuna Clip On and the included TTN5 GPS receviers and both exhibith the problem. Plus since the system needs to restart TTN5 after a phone call and recevier pairing is a hit-miss situation, this is not a solution that is working for me.
  6.    #6  
    I thought about that. My concern was that (although I've been watching the TomTom forums and own the upgrade) I'm not familiar with all the problems everyone's been having, and was worred about a complicated survey.

That's why I thought I'd keep it general. Basically, "Does the upgrade/install work as advertised or not?" Your point is well-taken though.
  7.    #7  
    So far it the stats don't look so good.

It's still early in the poll, but so far 75% of us have had problems installing the software. Yikes.
    I had several problems upgrading including getting the voices to work. Now everything works with Navigator. But Navigator seems to have caused a problem with hotsync. After using Navigator I can't hotsysnc. The hotsync stalls. This never happened before. I've been able to get around this by clearing the map route and doing a soft reset. But even that doesn't work all the time. So, hopefully TomTom is working on a fix. Despite the problem I still think TomTom is great.
    Registration worked this morning. Other then that..everything is good.
    This installation is Crap! Don't understand a damn thing!
    After installing T5 upgrade, I am not able to add voice prompts using cd1. HotSync is running in background and program and maps (major us cities and roads, and Western states on formatted 1g. UII) installed fine. Keep getting this error mess.

Setup: internal problem (2). Cannot run conduit. Please restart setup.

Nadler, did you have this same hours wasting problem? What's the fix?

Will try deleting program files listed above to solve my 4019 errors also.

Thanks everyone
    I had a problem installing the software. The installer said I was missing " Instaide.dll ". I had to add the palmone directory in the computers PATH . After the software installed I copied the maps to my SD card and it works wonderfully.

It does give you final turn warning a little late, not after I passed the street but usually right when I am at it. It's to late to get to the far lane if you weren't in the turning lane already. It warns you 50 to 500 yards that you have a turn coming up, so when it does that get over. It takes a very small amount of time to get used to the instuction patterns.
    Everything is OK for me as well. I recommend installing the maps directly to your SD card. This is one of the options presented during the installation process. It goes much faster than trying to do it over hotsync.
  14.    #14  
    Well. It still looks like people are having problems...
    I bought the TT5 for palm CD only. I cannot install TT5 to SD:

"Internal problem (2). Cannot run Conduit. Please run Setup again"

Followed TT5 Tech support's advice, uninstall Palm desktop and renstalled again. Clear up all Registry over 10 times and Hard & Soft Reset my Treo.

It wasted me 5 days. Wish I can return this carppy software back to TomTom. I'd be glad to ship it via Fedex overnight to thier CEO.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cliemx
    I bought the TT5 for palm CD only. I cannot install TT5 to SD:

"Internal problem (2). Cannot run Conduit. Please run Setup again"

Followed TT5 Tech support's advice, uninstall Palm desktop and renstalled again. Clear up all Registry over 10 times and Hard & Soft Reset my Treo.

It wasted me 5 days. Wish I can return this carppy software back to TomTom. I'd be glad to ship it via Fedex overnight to thier CEO.
    I expect you know that you don't have to install it to your Treo at all.
    I prefer "install to PC" and than copying it over to my SD using a card reader. In fact TomTom recommend you to install the entire package to your SD - even the application could/ should remain on your memcard...

I have never tried hotsyncing "huge" amount of data (large files) over to my Treo. Way to slow. I recommend a cardreader for this task...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)