Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Actually, on this subject, anyone have good example RSS feeds whose links point to mobile optimized articles? Most feeds I have, when I open the links go to regular sized websites in Blazer which take a whole lot longer to come up than a mobile version of those articles...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Since I have an unlimited data plan, I use Bloglines Mobile (www.bloglines.com/mobile). It's quite easy to use, and since it's web-based you always keep your settings and articles in sync whether you're viewing from your desktop or your Treo.
    Last edited by morituri; 08/15/2005 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    <A HREF="http://www.treotoday.net">Treo Today<A> - news, tips, tricks and more
    Quote Originally Posted by morituri
    Since I have an unlimited data plan, I use Bloglines Mobile (www.bloglines.com/mobile). It's quite easy to use, and since it's web-based you always keep your settings and articles in sync whether you're viewing from your desktop or your Treo.
    This looks very cool and the price of FREE is great. Do you have any experiences that you would like to share using this?
    Thanks
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Bloglines mobile works perfectly. BUT, very difficult to use with Blazer. Blazer's caching is terrible. If you have five RSS headlines for one of your feeds and you click and read the first one, when you go back to see the other....they are gone. Why? Because Blazer's caching is terrible. Use Xiino with Bloglines Mobile. Everything then works like a charm.
    Quick News works good. Send me an email if you'd like to get the file. Not sure what the policy here is on this forum in posting links to "easily accessible" software.
    SageOne
    e: sageone73@comcast.net
    aim: sager1219
    http://one90.no-ip.org
    VZW Treo 650
    It isn't tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    It isn't tolerated.
    Linking to files outside of TC? I see others do it, am I missing something?
    Thanks
    -g-

Treo 300-650-755P, Contract ends 11/30/07. SERO F&F 1250, The following are unlimited: N&W (7PM), Mobile to Home (M2H), Free Incoming, Vision Data, Text Messages for $49.99 - Plus Sprint AIRAVE @ N/C.
    You know what they say about assumptions...
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    I just noticed that mmplayer (1.0) supports podcast rss feeds directly without a separate program. From playlist, select add - podcast - type in a podcast rss feed link...it will then connect to the web and list the podcasts that are available. You can then select a podcast to add it to your playlist and then listen to it via streaming.

Since mmplayer doesn't have cut& paste, it is a little tedious to enter feeds directly. In addition, you don't get any information about what each podcast is about.
    What is the benefit of receiving news this way versus signing up for free email headlines, alerts, weather etc from your local news channel.
    here is a screenshot showing podcast support in mmplayer....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    What is the benefit of receiving news this way versus signing up for free email headlines, alerts, weather etc from your local news channel.
    By getting RSS summaries that automatically age, I don't have to delete them if they get ahead of me and I can't read them. Before QuickNews, I used to get email alerts sent to my palm, but then that's one more thing to delete from my email.

RSS hits another sweet spot for me. Since my commute is partly on a subway, on the way home I can look at summaries until the T gets above ground, and then connect to web pages for more details on any stories I'm interested in. Also, compared to AvantGo, I have less dowloaded on my palm ahead of time. For me, RSS seems to be just the right combination of summary vs go online for more detail. The feeds go on an SD card so they don't chew up my main memory.

-- Bob
    I love RSS feeds over email newsletters too however I don't use it on the Treo yet. Can QuickNews go completely on the SD card or just the feeds (my guess is no but I'm sure someone tried).

Personally my "Nirvana" for RSS on Palm would be in a ticker format as a ZLauncher Plugin. I currently use a RSS ticker in Firefox and it allows me to glance at headlines without switching to another app. It's not that I'm lazy, ok maybe a little bit, it's just that merging app functions is more productive and by default I leave my Treo on my ZLauncher screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by manielse
    I love RSS feeds over email newsletters too however I don't use it on the Treo yet. Can QuickNews go completely on the SD card or just the feeds (my guess is no but I'm sure someone tried).
    QuickNews can reside on the SD card, but you won't be able to do automatic updates at a scheduled time since that would require it to run in RAM. If you only want to update feeds via hotsync, or manually update the feeds, then you can store it on the SD card, launch it when you want, and update the feeds.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12