Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    With Navigator 2004, it always used to give the instructions "Exit Left," "Turn Right," "Keep Right" etc right at the exit or road.
    Now, TomTom5 is telling me to exit on the highway between 400-500 yards before the exit. On smaller roads it's announcing 50 yards early. This early announcing could certainly be a problem navigating in new areas.

Anyone else experiencing this?

BigBot
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Strange, there was a message yesterday that said they thought it didn't announce the turns early enough for navigating in new areas.

I guess, it is what you get used to. I like the announcement at 400-500 yds, when there is that much distance, and the announcement of the next turn if it closely follows the current turn.

Now that I said that, I mean when it says..."In 300 yards turn right". And then at the turn it says.."turn right". The one at the turn is right on the turn for me. Is that the one you are saying is too early?
    I noticed this too. In fact, when you are about to turn, it may say "Turn right, then turn left." But it should say "Turn right now. Upcoming left turn next."

I have missed turns because the voice went off as I pass the street.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinken
    Strange, there was a message yesterday that said they thought it didn't announce the turns early enough for navigating in new areas.

I guess, it is what you get used to. I like the announcement at 400-500 yds, when there is that much distance, and the announcement of the next turn if it closely follows the current turn.

Now that I said that, I mean when it says..."In 300 yards turn right". And then at the turn it says.."turn right". The one at the turn is right on the turn for me. Is that the one you are saying is too early?
    yeah. That's the one I'm finding is too early.

-BigBot45
    I posted earlier about the directions being too late (at or after the turn). After a few more days I'm seeing lots of examples of confusing directions including:

1. On occasion (once in 10 announcements) informs me to turn about 0.25 miles before the actual turn
    2. On occasion (once in 10 announcements) informs me to incorrectly take a turn or comically, take a turn when none exits
    3. Most often (once in 3 turns) informs to take a turn either at or after the turn has passed.

My biggest problem however is that TTN5 repeately fails to pair with the TTN5 receiver or my Fortuna Clip On recevier and since the system needs to restart (and re-pair) after a phone call this is the killer problem for me.

BTW, I'm comparing TTN5 to Iguidance on my pocket PC using the Fortuna Clip On recevier - that combination provides the most accurate and "user friendly" and correct instructions of any system I've examined to date.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by curcioj
    I posted earlier about the directions being too late (at or after the turn). After a few more days I'm seeing lots of examples of confusing directions including:

1. On occasion (once in 10 announcements) informs me to turn about 0.25 miles before the actual turn
    2. On occasion (once in 10 announcements) informs me to incorrectly take a turn or comically, take a turn when none exits
    3. Most often (once in 3 turns) informs to take a turn either at or after the turn has passed.

My biggest problem however is that TTN5 repeately fails to pair with the TTN5 receiver or my Fortuna Clip On recevier and since the system needs to restart (and re-pair) after a phone call this is the killer problem for me.

BTW, I'm comparing TTN5 to Iguidance on my pocket PC using the Fortuna Clip On recevier - that combination provides the most accurate and "user friendly" and correct instructions of any system I've examined to date.
    I never had issues with Nav2004 giving badly timed instructions. But I also get two instructions to turn at once even though the turn isn't for another .1 miles.

One question, did you upgrade from TT2004? I just deleted my 2004 maps from within TT2004, telling it to keep my POI's and Favorites (not that TT5 could use them anyway ). I then deleted TomTom2004 Executibles using Palm Delete and FileZ. I then installed TT5.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Have you noticed the prefs setting to link instructions timing to your present speed? Could this be your issue?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Have you noticed the prefs setting to link instructions timing to your present speed? Could this be your issue?
    I've noticed one for linking volume to speed in the volume preferences, but not instruction timing. Which preference contains instruction timing?
    One question, did you upgrade from TT2004? I just deleted my 2004 maps from within TT2004, telling it to keep my POI's and Favorites (not that TT5 could use them anyway ). I then deleted TomTom2004 Executibles using Palm Delete and FileZ. I then installed TT5.

Nope - new install.

I've gone into each of the setting menus but can't find the option to set/un-set timing to present speed. Where in the menu structure is thie option located??

I've been alternating between Iguidance on a Pocket PC and TTN5 on my Treo 650. Although having an all in one solution would be great, I am finding that the PPC/Iguidance beats the Treo650/TTN5 combo in three critical areas:

1. The PPC hasno pairing problems with the GPS receiver - TTN5 by comparision rarely pairs on the first try and frequently just won't pair at all - this is my most critical problem
    2. The Iguidance routing and instructions significantly better TTN5 in both accuracy and voice guidance timing
    3. No problems with the iPAQ as a PDA however, I'm having the syncing problem reported here in other postings (although the folks here have been sufficiently creative to find a solution this should be a TT issue for quick resolution)

I've written TT about these issues about 4 days ago and at this time still do not have a reply - all in all, I'm dissapointed in the TT responsiveness to these problems.

By comparision the TTN5 has a much better POI database (no Starbucks ??) and routs much more quickly (my PPC is a 400 MHz iPaq 2215)

I would really like to make TTN5 work on my Treo (again an integrated solution) however if TT dosen't quickly find a solution to these problems (in particular the pairing problem), they will have lost a customer.
    I use the Delorme BlueLogger GPS with TomTom5 and it connects nearly instantly. Each time I have used it, I make sure the GPS is on and has satelite fix before I launch TT. I turned it off and on around 6 times today and each time it connected within seconds of launching TT. Your problem might be the GPS unit not connecting to your Treo and not TT finding it.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Hey, Anybody else seeing this problem? My roommate's TT5 exhibited the same voice behavior too. I called TT5 tech support and they don't seem to believe me. My support questions has gone nearly a month with no answer or reply or anything. We need to send as many problem reports on this as possible or they will never fix it (and 5.12 certainly didn't).

Help convince them,
    -Bigbot
    On the highway, it might tell me to turn in 500 yards. But, it will also say it again at around 200 yards. Then just before the turn, it will tell me to turn. More times than not, it tells me at about the right time. I also have it in a mount in front of me so I can glance at it see which road. I have travelled to some unfamiliar areas and have not had a problem navigating. I have not travelled in any unfamiliar city environments with express ways and such yet.