1.    #1  
    My service contract with Sprint is finally over and I am going to switch over to another provider (Sprint coverage is just plain bad around here). I will then be able to get a 650 with the discounts that come with new service.

Question: If you could choose between Cingular and Verizon, which would you get and why? Are the rates better on one than the other? Is the CDMA vs GSM that big a difference? I will mostly use it as a phone and PDA. Not much web surfing or email, but that could change in the future. An "unlimited" plan is probably too much for me... although having DUN available may make it worth it if I can dump my DSL at home as little as I use it.

So, I'd love to hear opinions on which is better. I really don't understand the differences between CDMA and GSM, so that is part of the problem.

Thanks,
    Joe
    I have a Treo 650 on Verizon (CDMA). There are pros and cons to both CDMA and GSM. You just have to choose based on what's important to you.

CDMA Pro:
    * Verizon coverage is hands down the best that there is. Because of the great coverage, I was able to forward my pager from work to my Treo so that I'm down to one device.

CDMA Con:
    * Not a global technology.

GSM Pro:
    * Worldwide technology. If you plan on going to Europe or Asia and want your phone to work, this is for you.

GSM Con:
    * Coverage is not as extensive as Verizon.
    * You may have signal strength issues in buildings.
    * Cingular customer service IMHO is aweful.
    Hope you're ready to pay about 40 bucks for unlimited data
    Quote Originally Posted by pheath
    I have a Treo 650 on Verizon (CDMA). There are pros and cons to both CDMA and GSM. You just have to choose based on what's important to you.

CDMA Pro:
    * Verizon coverage is hands down the best that there is. Because of the great coverage, I was able to forward my pager from work to my Treo so that I'm down to one device.

CDMA Con:
    * Not a global technology.

GSM Pro:
    * Worldwide technology. If you plan on going to Europe or Asia and want your phone to work, this is for you.

GSM Con:
    * Coverage is not as extensive as Verizon.
    * You may have signal strength issues in buildings.
    * Cingular customer service IMHO is aweful.

thats an opinion. and it depend where you are, both where i live now, middle tenn, and where i travel home to, eastern PA, there are nothing but complaints about Verizon's coverage, and people love Cingular.

jus my 2 cents.
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
    Quote Originally Posted by CPcrazyfly
    thats an opinion. and it depend where you are, both where i live now, middle tenn, and where i travel home to, eastern PA, there are nothing but complaints about Verizon's coverage, and people love Cingular.

jus my 2 cents.
    And opinions are like a-holes...

That hands down best coverage of VZW always had me roaming or dropping calls in my living room. With Sprint, I get four bars.

Yep, great coverage VZW...their commercials are accurate though, whenever I was home on my VZW phones, I was always saying "Can you hear me now??"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    As is the the case most of the time, it all depends on where you frequent, as to who has the best coverage. I went from Cingular to Sprint, to get better service in the areas I frequent. (Actually borrowed a Sprint phone and tested first. . . )

And add in that Sprint wanted $15 for unlimited data and AT&T, at the time, wanted $49. . . . it was a no brainer. (For me, in my areas of town.) (Cheap data with no bars would be useless.)

Cheers, Perry.
    I have both Cingular and Verizon and travel regularly througgout New York State (urban, suburban and rural) and several times per year to other major metropolitan areas. The Cingular coverage has been superior to the Verizon coverage 9 outta 10 times. To get a Verizon signal, I have to get about 1.5 miles away from my house.

If you are going to do data, Verizon's data service cost for unlimited is about twice that of Cingular. In every day practice, the speed is going to be about the same for and of e three for routine e-mails and downloads, though if you are going to transfer large files routinely, Cingular will have a substantial speed advanatge. The 1st three ar e reviews of the three Treos and the last is a comparison on the data servcies. Make sure to look at the internal links within the article for performance graphs.

Check these out:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1815641,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1757450,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1733585,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1771797,00.asp