Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I am currently on a 30 day trial version of my Cingular 650 GSM. My company has a business contract with Verizon but I went with Cingular because of Edge and greater data coverage in my state (Minnesota)
    I updated the Cingular with the latest ROM.
    I have encountered a few problems. First, I am really not able to use Voicedial by Voicesignal. It tries to connect to dial but cannot after recognizing a name. Second, I am a little disappointed about Edge speed. When streaming Shoutcast even with 65kb/s, I get frequent interruptions for buffering. I did a test speed test and supposedly, I am running at 96 to 124 kb/s.

My questions are: How does 1xRTT speed compare to edge and does Voicedial work after the new Verizon upgrade. Please help!
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    22 views and no replies? Anybody?
    Perhaps you might get more responses posting in the Service Provider's Forum?
    The main benefit you're going to get with Verizon is wireless coverage. Your numbers all look fine. 1xRTT speeds is typically around 100k. There are some things that GSM does better, such as battery life and voice/data interaction.

Not much I can say. If you're happy with the coverage you're getting (ability to receive phone calls at important locations), I don't see any reason to switch to Verizon.

I have a verizon, and would switch to Cingulair if the coverage was better in my area.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thank you. I am wondering whether I have problems with streaming radio because of the latency period that has been reported with Edge.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    USA only? Verizon
    Global roaming? Cingular or T-mobile
    USA coverage + global? Cingular

(from a guy who has both VZW & CNG)
    I recently switched two users from Cingular to Verizon. We had coverage issues with Cingular, poor customer service, and buggy 650's. Since going to Verizon everything has been better.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I would definitely go Verizon if you don't travel much outside of Northamerica. Much better customer service and coverage.
    I went from Verizon to Cingular because I travel overseas ocasionally... Cingular coverage has been terrific (I even got signal in many places in Alaska where my wife's Verizon had no service). But my most pleasant surprise has been the way Cingular's GSM handles data. When you roam with Verizon... no data. GSM providers seem to all share their data connection with eachother, so when you roam onto another carrier you still get data and voice mail.

And I really like the way GSM handles data, ie., calls don't go to voice mail while you are in a data session. The data simply pauses and you still get your phone calls...

Notwithstanding Cingular's moronic and frustrating customer service folks (biling errors, etc), it's been great service for me so far.
    I have to say I'm a big fan of the way GSM data works as well. I use my Treo for email probably more than I use it for a phone. At the same time, I don't want to miss calls because of all of the data usage I get out of my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    I have to say I'm a big fan of the way GSM data works as well. I use my Treo for email probably more than I use it for a phone. At the same time, I don't want to miss calls because of all of the data usage I get out of my Treo.
    I have not seen a big difference in this between Cingular and Verizon. I realize that GSM handles this better, but it does not go away with GSM. If your busy with data, your call is going to voice mail.