Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a difference between the two of them. I just sold my Cingular Treo on eBay and wanted to do the most secure before sending it away.

Also, how do you do a zero-data reset?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Thank you!!!! Exactly what I was looking for.
  4.    #4  
    BTW.....the Zero reset only resets data right, not the Firmware or the standard Treo software?
    Quote Originally Posted by livestrong
    BTW.....the Zero reset only resets data right, not the Firmware or the standard Treo software?
    Correct.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Thanks again!
    the page doesnt give a good enough explanation of the difference between the two. Anyone can explain better?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    the page doesnt give a good enough explanation of the difference between the two. Anyone can explain better?
    the zero data reset is almost impossible to do with only one person?

i think it is like and fdisk and a format of the drive, instead of just a del when using a hard reset.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    anyone know for sure? i know it writes 0's and 1's to every sector of the RAM, but seems exactly the same to a hardreset to me
    I did a zero out once the first hour I got the palm just to do it for kicks since it looked like you'd need a barrel of monkeys to get it all together, but with feet, hands, and stylus in mouth I did it.

Normally one would just do a hard reset if they have to dump all data, but to assist in securing said data, zero-out is the way to go yes.. Hard reset would just delete the data, zero-out writes a 0 over the entire nvfs I suppose.
    I was trying to get my treo to zero out reset the other day. It was sooo freaken hard. However, I do think I got it to work. The second i reset the treo with the stylus while having the POWER, UP, and HOTSYNC button down, the treo's screen went blank and seemed to be locked up like the instructions say. However, my treo came back on within 5 seconds and it looked like a regular hard reset process. The instructions read that the treo should "lock up" for several minutes which is normal because its doing the process at this time. Does anyone else notice it came back real fast?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    I was trying to get my treo to zero out reset the other day. It was sooo freaken hard. However, I do think I got it to work. The second i reset the treo with the stylus while having the POWER, UP, and HOTSYNC button down, the treo's screen went blank and seemed to be locked up like the instructions say. However, my treo came back on within 5 seconds and it looked like a regular hard reset process. The instructions read that the treo should "lock up" for several minutes which is normal because its doing the process at this time. Does anyone else notice it came back real fast?
    I just did mine and it came back with in 30 seconds, but all I had on mine was contact information, and the datebook.
    Zero resets wipes EVERYTHING. It's as if you just took it out of the box.

A Hard Reset retains some settings. For instance, time and date will still remain the same.

How long on average does the "lock up" part last when you're zero out resetting?
    In my case the screen recovered also within 15 to 30 seconds, so much that I thought I had not accomplished a zero-reset. I followed this procedure in an attempt to reduce nagging reboots every morning. And to my surprise, they disappeared. My phone is very stable now.
    ok im trying to find out the best way to accomplish a zero reset.

what state do you usually have your treo in when you start the process. it seems if im in the phone app and i start to hold POWER and UP, it will either turn my phone off or on depending if the radio was previously on/off. does this mess up the process?

What I did was I held the phone in my left hand with the back of the phone facing me, while using my left middle finger to hold POWER and my left index to hold UP. then i went for the hotsync button with my right hand and held that.. while trying to hit the reset pin with the stylus in my mouth. i had to try a lot of times and i think i finally did it. ANyone have a better method
    hmm, I did a hard reset to see if I could get ringo to start working again. Anytime I pressed the icon, ringo would soft reset the device. But, after a hard reset, ringo still crashed the device... maybe something was retained in memory and the only way to completely get rid of it is a zero out reset?
    maybe, try that and see what happens
    I too think I am doing the correct sequence for a zero out reset, and the unit does "die" as described in the Palm document, but only for 5 seconds or so.
    I think I am doing it right, because if I don't have the 5-way depressed correctly, the unit goes into the rainbow BootLoad screen instead.

Is there a way to confirm that I have done this right? Is this process perhaps shorter after the ROM update? The zero out reset was suggested by Backupman support because after the Cingular 1.13 update, I still can't get through a full backup unless I turn disconnect from my carrier. And unfortunately, after my reset as described above, the problem remains.

Thanks.
    If I had a phone problem and Sprint traded out my 650 and gave me back a refurbished unit, would a zero out reset change the ## code to read that the phone isn't refurbished?
    Just wondering
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast