Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just thought many of you might be interested in this ...

I tried installing the zdoomz program from the official site (links at bottom of post), but I could not get it working on my treo 650. I finally found out how to get it to work:

I downloaded a custom version built for the tungsten T3 from here:
    http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jonash/...lmos_free.html

It worked fine except for some memory issues which I seem to have solved by running a program called UDMH (Unlimited Dynamic Memory Hack) wich basically turns your free memory into dynamic memory (much like windows XP virtual memory). I have to run the hack each time before I run zdoomz to get it to work without a memory error and it makes the game run a lot faster. You will need to add zdoomz to the UDMH program for it to work, but leave the settings as default.

You can get the doom1 demo wad (you will need it) from here:
    http://www.jimmysoftware.com/Softwar...E/download.asp
    even though it says its for windows CE it should work fine on the palm (the .wad file is platform independant).

I found other wads on the net but have not been able to get any of them to work.

I do run into problems every once in a while that require a reset. Either a freeze, or sometimes I'll get this weird zip file error. If you do reset, you will need to re-enable the UDMH program.

Also, I did not mess with installing music. And the treo 650 keyboard does not work.

I would like to hear your experiences with this as well.

Also, what have you found to be the best key setup?
    currently I am using:
    phone - strafe left
    calendar - strafe right
    5-way - move and fire
    mail - use
    hang up - switch items
    bottom left corner of screen - menu

what works best?
    Well, I got the program to load up and did the key assignments, but I cannot get it to find the Doom1.wad file to load up. What did you do to make it work?
  3.    #3  
    the first time you run zdoom it creates a directory on your mem card called like palm/programs/zdoom or something like that.

Put the .wad file and also the .zdk file in there. If you still dont see it try resetting, reinstaling, etc.

I use card export to get the wad file in the right place. There are also instructions for install and plenty of discussion here:
    http://yoyofr92.free.fr/zdoomz/
    This is the site of the original creator of the software.
    Well, I got it half working. After placing the DOOM1.wad file in the right foler, it shows up, but now I get an error, "the emulation module to run this game is not present" and then "zdoomz.zdk"

Placing zdoomz.zdk in the same folder seems to work. Now I just have errors to deal with.
    Last edited by westronic; 08/04/2005 at 12:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I got a Doom II wad to work without UDMH, but it is kind of slow. I might need to exit a few more apps like zlauncher in order to get it running smooth without UDMH.
    I keep getting errors. They appear to be memory allocation errors.

It looks to me like there are only three files involved here:

ZDoomZ.prc - located on the device (or, I think, on the card with an appropriate launcher).

ZDoomZ.zdk located on the card in the ZDoomZ folder
    wad files (Doom1.wad) located on the card in the ZDoomZ folder

In addition, I do have UDMH running, with ZDoomZ listed for default settings.

Is this the same setup you guys have where this is working?
    Anybody gotten hexen or quake to work yet?? I haven't found the WAD files for those. I found the demo WAD at doomwadstation.com (at least I think it's the demo, I haven't played it past the first coupla levels yet).
    I haven't tried Quake or Hexen (I am not even familiar with that one) yet. I finally got Doom to work. It generates a few errors while loading, but it works. I had to hard reset and restore from the Palm bakcup and now it works. No other changes. Go figure.
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    westronic, can you exit the game without a softreset?
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfx
    westronic, can you exit the game without a softreset?
    Yes. You must be sure to set up a key or screnn area to bring up the menu, though. I did not at first, so I had to soft reset to get out.

Also, I cannot save a game as I cannot get any keyboard input to work.

EDIT: I can indeed save a game. I just had to have more patience when using the virtual keyboard.
    Last edited by westronic; 08/05/2005 at 03:10 PM.
  11.    #11  
    I can exit the game without a soft reset when using UDMH, but I have to soft reset before Doom will work again without a memory error.

westronic - I think everyone gets the mem allocation errors - just keep hitting the center key or the screen until they go away. If a memory error comes up in the CENTER of the screen, then you know it will crash when you complete the first level (of the doom demo anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-i-am
    I can exit the game without a soft reset when using UDMH, but I have to soft reset before Doom will work again without a memory error.

westronic - I think everyone gets the mem allocation errors - just keep hitting the center key or the screen until they go away. If a memory error comes up in the CENTER of the screen, then you know it will crash when you complete the first level (of the doom demo anyway).
    Thanks. I now have both Doom and Quake working. I do have to soft reset each time to play again. I'll probably not play them much, but it's really nice to know they can work, and it gives me something to show off!
    sweetness... I have doom on my Treo...

-----------------------
    EDIT

www.itplaysdoom.com
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 08/11/2005 at 04:17 PM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Wow! I got try this!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    wow !!!
    Doom on my Treo

it works , even with no UDMH.

is there any other WAD working fine ?
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Also, I cannot save a game as I cannot get any keyboard input to work.

EDIT: I can indeed save a game. I just had to have more patience when using the virtual keyboard.
    what is the virtual keyboard and how is it used ?
    thx.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    it works , even with no UDMH.

is there any other WAD working fine ?
    I don't have to use UDMH either...

I have not found any other WAD that works with the doom emulator. Where have you guys gotten the WADs for quake/hexen??
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    what is the virtual keyboard and how is it used ?
    thx.
    The screen....the touchscreen is separated into different blocks close to the edges of the screen and you touch them to active a "virtual keypress".
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    The screen....the touchscreen is separated into different blocks close to the edges of the screen and you touch them to active a "virtual keypress".
    Yep - and in the center is a spot that brings up the virtual keyboard.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Anyone get the keyboard working to enter codes, I have had doom cheat codes memorized ever since this game came out, need that chain saw!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast