Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nixoloco
    You can also use the hex editor/viewer in FileZ (free) to see these values.
    I think FileZ actually works better. I haven't figured out how to actually edit files with Resco (it might help if I read the manual.) But FileZ makes it very easy to edit the file right there in RAM.
    Thanks
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    hey taylorh, i just tried editing my currentcarrier.pdb file in RAM but when I switch to the phone app it doesnt change the display. is it because i have to edit it on my PC and then transfer it to RAM?

Also what happens if you change the file attributes for the currentcarrier.pdb file to READ ONLY so that when you turn the phone on and off, it cannot edit your changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Hey everyone.
    I found a way to view the network ID of the carrier that is currently selected.

Basically, use Resco Explorer to view the currentcarrier.pdb file (Resco has a built in HEX viewer)
    The file has two database entries:
    Entry 0: I believe is your pimary carrier
    Entry 1: Is the currently selected carrier.

I know it's ugly, but it works. If you download and install resco explorer. Go in to your RAM, view currentcarrier.pdb, you can view the two database entries.
    You'll see basically the following
    0:310170 Cingular
    1:310380 Cingular

Entry #1 being the currently selected network.
    I will attach screen shots.

I also did an experiment where I coped the currentcarrier.pdb to the SD card, edited it with a hex editor on my PC where I changed the name "Cingular" to "310380 " and copied the file back to ram. Next time I went to the phone app it displayed '310380' instead of Cingular.
    However, the next time I powered the phone off then back on, it replaced the name overwriting my edits.
    The phone pulls the names from the SIM card where there's a list and copies those to this file for local usage. I think this file is also responsible for remembering which network you last registered with, and if you have it in manual or automatic mode.

Still this is useful if you want to look up the carrier ID that you have selected.
    Detailed instructions:
    1) Download and install Resco Explorer
    2) Navigate to RAM, find 'currentcarrier.pdb'
    3) Tap hand hold your stylus on the file name currentcarrier.pdb until you get a pop-up menu.
    4) select 'view' from the pop-up menu
    5) at the top of the screen is a pull-down menu "Rec #0", click it to select between Rec#0 and Rec#1. 0 will be your main 'home' carrier, 1 will be your currently selected carrier. These two should be the same under normal automatic operation.

Now, if we can just write a simple app that reads this file.

In the past I used to know of a web page that listed all of the codes for all of the carriers. But I can't seem to find it now.
    Here's one. It's not the best, but it's a list:
    http://www.csoft.co.uk/nox8/coverage_list.pl?ISO=US

Thanks!

Mine are:

Rec 0: 310380 Cingular
    Rec 1: 310380 Cingular One DCS
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    cmon guys, im sure we can figure this out!! hehehe just like the manual network select
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    hey taylorh, i just tried editing my currentcarrier.pdb file in RAM but when I switch to the phone app it doesnt change the display. is it because i have to edit it on my PC and then transfer it to RAM?

Also what happens if you change the file attributes for the currentcarrier.pdb file to READ ONLY so that when you turn the phone on and off, it cannot edit your changes?
    I actually edited mine in RAM as well using FileZ. It worked for me.
    What shows up on the phone's display will be record #1. Record #0 is never actully displayed.
    Also when you edit the name, make sure you don't change the number of characters. Don't add or delete characters, but you can change them to spaces. Bad things could happen if you change the size of the file.
    I never changed the attributes. I actually wondered about making it read only. However if you do this and it works, it will effectively lock your phone to that network setting permanently (I think.) I woudln't do it, I think keeping the phone from updating that file could result in say... crashes, reboots, or your favorite instability issue
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Thanks!

Mine are:

It looks like your primary is (former) AT&T. Do you have an AT&T SIM? Where in the US are you located?
    I'm not 100% sure I'm right about record 0 being your home network, but I it seems likely considering record #1 is appearently the currently active network.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Hey everyone.
    I found a way to view the network ID of the carrier that is currently selected.
    Funny, I just posted about this to
    Shadowmite's Treo 650 forum yesterday. I'm going to try to write a program to override changes to CurrentCarrier.pdb.
    ok you're right i changed my Rec 1 from 310380 Cingular to 310380 310380_ _ (the two underscores being two spaces since Cingular is 8 characters while 310380 is only 6) and it did indeed change it on the phone app
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Thanks!

Mine are:

Double thanks!!

Mine are:

Rec 0: 310170 Cingular
    Rec 1: 310900 Cingular (it's actually Edge Wireless, the Cingular Affiliate who provides the GSM/GPRS/EDGE service here and across many other areas of Nor Cal, and in Southern Oregon, Southeastern and SouthCentral Idaho and Western Wyoming, http://www.edgewireless.com)
    Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread and the author of the Network Select hack. For the very first time in over a year, I have reliable cellular service at my work location. To say the least, I am thrilled!

There is an AT&T tower on our property (they pay us rent) within a few hundred yards of my office window. Yet, the phone insists on using the pathetically weak, mostly unusable, Cingular signal that is available here. I installed the hack last night and manually selected the 310380 network when I arrived at work at 0615 this morning. Almost two hours have elapsed and I still have a usable telephone.

Thanks for everyones contribution to this most useful hack!
    cool, so you got it working on your 600?
    Seems to work perfect (fingers crossed). Tomorrow I get my 650 and intend to do the same to it. (anyone want to buy a 600?)

Using FileZ I changed "Cingular" to "Aingular". I just noticed it changed back to "Cingular" on its own but, most important, it is still registered on the Blue network (310380).

Every once in a while I drop to three bars of signal but it shortly goes back up to four. This is somewhat surprising because the tower is just a few hundred yards away with an unobstructed line of site. However, almost adjacent to my office is a huge reinforced concrete/steel lined nuclear containment building. I am guessing the periodoc loss of a bar is due to multipath interference from signal reflected off the containment building.

It amazes me that Cingular allows so many customers to be dissatisfied when they could at least allow the customers that ask for this feature to have it. I had untold number of conversations with at least three technical support managers over the past year. They absolutely refused to provide the ability to manually switch networks even when they clearly understood the problem I had. There best solution was to get an ENS capable phone and request it be load balanced to the Blue network. Even though they said all of south Florida will be integrated by year's end, I was less than a week away from changing providers as I was unwilling to live the dismal service anymore. Fortunately, this hack seems to provide an excellent interim solution and I will now stay with Cingular.
    I'm having a brain fart. How do I view the currentcarrier file in FileZ? It only gives me the option for "details" and that doesn't show the info.

I've done it before but I can't remember how to view this file, to see the MNC (xxx-xxx) of which carrier I am using. Thanks.
    WAIT: your telling me that i could choose to lock on to another service carrier without getting charged? for example..i have at&t..and the service is HORRIBLE at my house..so can i lock on to like T-mobile or Cingular towers instead at no additional cost?
    Running an Unlocked Cingular Palm Treo 650 with an AT&T Sim
    *1GB SanDisk SD Card

Quote Originally Posted by vipa1887
    WAIT: your telling me that i could choose to lock on to another service carrier without getting charged? for example..i have at&t..and the service is HORRIBLE at my house..so can i lock on to like T-mobile or Cingular towers instead at no additional cost?
    Only in places where they allow it. Allowing it means they have an agreement with the other carrier to pay them if you roam on their network. It used to be a lot more common, but today there aren't many places where you are able to roam on another carrier.

A few years ago the carriers started "no more roaming fees ever in the US" on national plans. Before that you did in fact pay a per-minute roaming charge.

If you go to another country you will pay international roaming fees.

There are some places like Eureka, CA where Cingular, AT&T, and T-Mobile don't have any towers at all. Instead they let you roam on to the local carrier called Edge Wireless up there, for free. It's a trade off since it's more cost effective to pay your roaming charges rather than invest in a network in that area. Of course AT&T, now Cingular actually invested in Edge wireless and partially owns them, but that's beside the pont.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Quote Originally Posted by bones_boy
    I'm having a brain fart. How do I view the currentcarrier file in FileZ? It only gives me the option for "details" and that doesn't show the info.

I've done it before but I can't remember how to view this file, to see the MNC (xxx-xxx) of which carrier I am using. Thanks.
    Place a check mark next to CurrentCarrier
    Press the Menu button on the Treo.
    Select Item, then Edit.
    Select Record 1, then click "View" to view, or "Edit" to edit.

I also posted instructions here:
    http://www.gadgetech.info/treo/hacks...tnetwork.shtml
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Place a check mark next to CurrentCarrier
    Press the Menu button on the Treo.
    Select Item, then Edit.
    Select Record 1, then click "View" to view, or "Edit" to edit.
    Thank You!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12